[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book any good or just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 542323452353525435235.jpg (11 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
542323452353525435235.jpg
11 KB, 182x277
Is this book any good or just a meme?
>>
It's good for people incapable of love who need to manipulate in order to get 'friends'. I.e. everyone here. So yeh
>>
>>7990206
This book made me afraid of Americans
>>
This book says the same thing over and over. It can be summed up in just one sentence. Be nice to people.

No shit Dale.
>>
>>7990436

That's not even the take-away though.

You're right that it's simple, but it's slightly more complex than "be nice to people". It's a lot more like "show genuine interest in people"
>>
I enjoyed it
It hasn't gained me any friends or influence though
>>
>>7990554
the author considers the book a total failure for anyone that hasn't profit from it
>>
ITT: People who haven't read the book

True, Carnegie offers very basic advice, but that is the key to its effectiveness. These principles are so basic that we often forget to implement them in our daily lives, or realise their importance. It is crucial to read the book (twice) to really take them on board. You won't pick them up from just reading a summary.

There's also an underlying philosophy of showing interest in people and having a positive outlook which reinforces the principles. Carnegie draws on a lot of writers and historical figures, Lincoln and Emerson mostly, to illustrate his points.
I read this book at the same time as "Feeling Good", a book on cognitive behavioral therapy by David Burns and I saw many, many parallels.

It really is an incredible book and its reputation is well earned. I started using the principles at a time in my life where I had trouble speaking to people and it certainly helped me make a few acquaintances. The trouble is that the book lays out the predictability of human behavior too well and I became a little cynical. It was easy for me to elicit excited responses from people by asking about their interests, what they thought of certain matters etc. , but they would rarely return the favour. The truest statement in the book is that people are almost wholly interested in themselves.

Anyway, I would highly recommend it.
>>
>>7990818
>but they would rarely return the favour
damn this was sad to read
>>
>>7990962
>thinks that the fact that everyone is selfish is morally bad
>doesn't realize the fact that he think it's morally bad it's becouse it's bad for him(no one really cares about you), ergo, thinking that 'everyone is selfish' is bad makes you selfish too

fucking hypocrites
>>
>>7991025
>>thinks that the fact that everyone is selfish is morally bad
Where was this said?
>>
File: 1407550488936.jpg (34 KB, 425x545) Image search: [Google]
1407550488936.jpg
34 KB, 425x545
>>7991025
>becouse it's bad for him(no one really cares about you), ergo, thinking that 'everyone is selfish' is bad makes you selfish too
Nigga please
>>
>>7990962
It's just how people are, anon. Before applying the principles I was the same. I'd hope someone would ask me about my interests; a favourite book or something similar (I'm sure you've felt similarly at some point) rather than mustering some interest in them myself and starting to asking questions.

The person may hear nothing about you, and you might contribute little to the conversation, but they will think you are a great conversationalist. Why? Because you gave them a platform to speak.

It's not sad, though it is a little jading.
>>
>>7991046
Nowhere. He's one of those persons who quickly changes the topic into another they "know" about to make themselves look interesting
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.