[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can authors have a respectable family life? I ask because I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 20160215_114857.jpg (4 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20160215_114857.jpg
4 MB, 4128x3096
Can authors have a respectable family life? I ask because I'm 26, have a 3 year old daughter and find myself having constant conflict between my writing time/freedom/space/quiet and the pressures of my gf and child (to be honest its more the gf than the child) ie. constant moaning about never going out together and doing family stuff , even though I do, constantly belittling my writing attempts as pathetic, ie. I'm not living in the "real world". I should add she tricked me into a child and I've been living with the consequences ever since. You guys know how hard it is as a starting off writer with many failures and rejections and the criticism I get from home isnt helping, also I feel trapped and held back by chores, I am wondering whether I should break ties and move on. Honestly this thread is not a joke, I'm happy to provide further details but looking for honest advice please.
>>
No I hear you OP. I'm in a similar position myself. I'm currently worldbuilding for my first novel and having a kid to look after really does distract me so much, it's hard to stay on track. Sometimes I'll be 'in the zone' writing some really epic part of the book and my wife's son will come in and ask if he can 'axe me a question' which of course I always do. But then when I try and get back to my writing I forget where I was and have to wait until inspiration strikes again. Good luck you my man.
>>
I think you should grow up and be a family man.
There's like a 99.999% chance that your gf is right and that your writing attempts really are pathetic.
Just being totally honest.
>>
>>7985525
post some of your writing so we can know if you should actually keep doing it
>>
>>7985525
Learn to put the cunt in her place.
>>
>coming to this bored or resentful retards for life advice

Yeh, your writing is certainly shit if you're this much of an idiot
>>
Most writers have been family men, or involved in extremely social environments.

You shouldn't have had a kid if you couldn't handle the responsibilities though.
>>
>>7985525
Knausgård writes at length about it, and has made it work.

Being tricked into having a kid is a terrible fucking fate though - especially wrt to having to live with and raise a child with bitch who betrayed your trust so much.

I love condoms. The price you pay in lack of pleasure is repaid a thousand times over by preventing these life-altering fuckups.
>>
>>7985525
>I ask because I'm 26, have a 3 year old daughter
do you know that she is yours?
there may be hope...
>>
Like >>7985581 said, many writers have done just fine with families or other social engagements.
You may spend more time finishing any product, but on the other hand there might also be plenty of inspiration to be found in talking to people, dealing with your responsibilities etc.

Making a schedule/routine of some sort might be beneficial. Writing for an hour every night after the kid falls asleep or whatever.

Good luck anyhow.
>>
>>7985606
He got meme'd.
>>
>>7985550
>There's like a 99.999% chance that your gf is right and that your writing attempts really are pathetic.
Totally not, cuck-kun.
>>
>>7985525
The problem doesn't seem to be in being an author w a family but rather that your relationship seems shit. In any case you need to find a worksoace that is not at home and schedule a set amount of work, arrange having those hours for yourself and work hard and then when you're home, participate fully in the family life. A clear division between work and free time.
>>
I'm no Dr. Phil, but it seems to me a partner who belittles your passion(s), let along one who tricked you into having a child, is not someone you want to spend your life with.

Try communicating, at an opportune time when she is ready to listen, how hurtful and unsupportive she's being. If she changes for the better, great. If not, consider cutting your losses. Family life and writing are in no way incompatible if certain boundaries are set and the drive is strong enough.

Two anecdotal examples: Stephen King, living in a modest house with a young family, wrote a lot of his first early stories and first novels after hours in a basement boiler room. Michael Chabon, father of five, writes late at night and very early in the am (before dawn) because those are the only quiet times in his house.
>>
>>7985747
>not someone you want to spend your life with

Tell me about it, but having a child kind of makes that decision for you.
>>
>>7985877
Because you want to teach your kid to think scorn, poorly hidden loathing, belittling, trickery, manipulation and arguing are a normal part of relationships and family life, that's just how people treat each other? Because that's what she'll pick up if she grows up in an unhappy family
>>
>>7985932
Better than to be fed with poison about her deadbeat dad who abandoned her no? These things are not black and white. I take your point on board.
>>
>>7985877

Find someone new while your daughter is still young. It will be easier for her to acclimate at younger age to a new dynamic like that. When they get older their guard goes up.

Don't stay together if you can already tell that it's doomed. You'll only teach your child in her formative years the lessons of spite, exile and misery, and she'll probably take that on into later life. Be happy and supportive apart; don't be miserable together.
>>
>>7985943

>Better than to be fed with poison about her deadbeat dad who abandoned her no?

You are the one who is assigning this role to yourself as a deadbeat who would abandon her. This is just the fear talking. You need to fight through this and work twice as hard. Men who don't fight for their kids and choose to fall by the wayside out of egotistical vagaries and false notions of pride regret it. If her Mother trashes you then you always need to be diplomatic and only ever have good things to say about her Mother in kind. Never try to set your kid against the other parent. The other parent might. But that is their choice. Never make it your choice. When your daughter gets older she'll work it out and see that you were always the one who had kind things to say whilst her Mother only ever chose hatred.

But you have to stay around for that time when she works it out. It's on you. Work to stay in her life if you do choose to separate and always be a positive force. Honestly from the sounds of it you are at a crossroads and you really need to ask yourself if it's going to work staying in this marriage, and if it isn't bail and start again while you can.

You're only a deadbeat if you choose to be. The choice is always yours.
>>
>>7985525
Break up with your gf and move out if you need to, but don't you dare bail on your daughter. Whilst you deserve your freedom, she is your priority now.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.