[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest /lit/, have you ever bought a book you already own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: stoners.png (585 KB, 635x497) Image search: [Google]
stoners.png
585 KB, 635x497
Be honest /lit/, have you ever bought a book you already own because you preferred the front cover?
>>
nope
>>
yes
>>
>>7982149
Sure. My bookshelf is a conversation piece, I'm not even ashamed to say it, either.
>>
>>7982149
No, although I generally try to look for the best possible cover when I buy a book.

I cannot stand things like that red circle in the OP image and try to never buy a book with stamps, awards, accolades, "now a major motion picture," etc. on the cover.
>>
>>7982149
Not the cover per se, but the publisher. I got the NYRB version of Seasons of Migration to the North after I had already had some other version. I sold the other version to the bookstore, though.
>>
Yeah, once.

Found a copy of Catcher in the Rye with the classic cover in a charity shop. American version. They don't print it in the UK and I happen to think its one of the best book covers ever made. It was also my favourite book at the time, so I bought it for £2
>>
I originally had a halfway patrician Modern Library pub of Ulysses. I bought a second Ulysses because I wanted the Penguin edition the reading group I was in was using for same page numbers. So not for the cover, but all the same. . .
>>
>>7982149
I'm not that stupid. Thanks.
>>
>>7982149
No but I do like to buy books with nice covers if possible, though other factors are considered first (translation, content, reputation, etc). For example, I bought a short and stocky version of the Karamazov brothers instead of one of the nice and large premium editions because I prefer the avsey translation. I bought some Greek plays published by Oxford, but I had to buy others that didn't match because I wanted the Lattimore version of Sophocles.

So while I do give people aesthetic leeway in these things, it can be hard not to judge when you know for a fact that the reason they bought that specific version of the text was because of the way it looked. I think most people are like this on /lit/ hence why we make fun of people with shelves of those gaudy Barnes and Noble hardcovers.
>>
Bought another translation of the Brothers Karamazov and specifically sought out a certain cover, but other than that, no I haven't.
>>
>>7982149

Not just for the front cover, but I have bought second copies of books I own because of different editorial matter, in order to get a UK or US edition of a book I already had in the other, and in order to get a hardback of something I had in paperback. I've never paid full price to do this, though - always used or discounted.
>>
No, but if the cover is shit I wont buy it and ill look for a nice one
There is no reason for bad cover designs although a lot of modern pre 2000s paperback covers are really ugly
>>
>>7982149
I have the hardcover :^)
>>
yeah if it turns out to be one of my favorite books i will buy a nice leatherbound version if its available
>>
>>7982165
This; wheat that springeth green in my case
>>
>>7982149
no but I have bought multiple translations of books I've never read
>>
>>7982149
Yes, unless it's a book published in English but not actually wrote in English.

Then I will do the same as any other sane men do and choose the book based on the publisher and the translator.

I also actively avoid books with hipster-esque or any other eye-catching design if I can.
>>
>>7982187
>the Catcher in the rye
>favorite book at the time
Have you ever considered hanging youself?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.