[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sorry to ask for advice here on /lit/ but I've got nowhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Sorry to ask for advice here on /lit/ but I've got nowhere else to turn, so please hear out my desperate plea for advice. Should I major in English or Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature? I'm really not sure, both seem interesting. I think I'd like to go into publishing or be a librarian or something. Maybe an English teacher in some rural small town where the living is cheap and I can keep to myself.

My worries concerning the English major are that it won't delve deeply enough into the nature of literature and that a lot of the people in that major will be very uninteresting and will talk about the same things I talked about in high school (not trying to sound smart I just went to a very literature oriented high school). My concerns with Cultural Studies and Comparative Lit are that it won't focus enough on the literature itself and I'll be talking a lot about theory and culture while not doing as much actual literary studies. As with anyone who loves literature a small part of me wants to write as well but that's really a side note. They seem like very similar majors which is why it's somewhat hard for me to choose. Thanks for replying if anyone does. I don't know what I'm talking about I'm just a dumb kid (18 tho no ban pls).

P.S. I know many will say this is a waste of time majoring in something that won't really help me in life but I don't really care about lifestyle or money or anything like that, I just want to learn more about things I care about. I feel like I'll either be happy in life or I won't and that a decision like this won't change anything.

pic not related
>>
well it depends on the school

but cultural studies and comp literature will almost guaranteed focus more on society/theory as opposed to english, which will focus more on literature.

if you're willing to say what school could maybe help you but as is no idea
>>
>>7979907
University of Minnesota Twin Cities.

Not the best school in the world but it's what I can afford.
>>
>>7979921
https://onestop2.umn.edu/pcas/viewCatalogProgram.do?programID=83

https://onestop2.umn.edu/pcas/viewCatalogProgram.do?programID=109

you can see the course lists

cultural studies looks like a blend of new media stuff and theory, without much of an emphasis on literature

English is more of the traditional stuff

pick what sounds more appealing to you. be warned the cultural studies major courses looks like it attracts SJWs and people who dont read but say they "read"
>>
>>7979948
haha thanks. Yeah like I said I've been leaning towards English and this helps in that regard a lot. Despite my desire to understand what Cultural Studies is offering I think English is more my speed. I appreciate the help just cause getting a fresh set of eyes on a problem, even one so trivial, is very useful. And yeah the people who say they read but don't read are the kind I want to avoid, though I don't really mind what other people do so no skin off my back.

Thanks anon :)
>>
>>7979948
>>7979921

· CSCL 3456W - Sexuality and Culture [DSJ, WI] (3.0 cr)
· CSCL 3458W - The Body and the Politics of Representation [HIS, WI] (3.0 cr)
· CSCL 3461 - Monsters, Robots, Cyborgs [LITR] (3.0 cr)
· CSCL 3465 - Aliens [DSJ] (3.0 cr)
· CSCL 3472 - Gay Men and Homophobia in American Culture [DSJ] (3.0 cr)
· CSCL 3621W - Colonial and Postcolonial Literatures and Theory: 1700 to the Present [LITR, GP, WI] (3.0 cr)

lmao

didnt know american unis were bad at that point
>>
>>7980014
yea its nuts. I'm op and I like to give the department benefit of the doubt and assume these are just classes that exist to bring students into the department and keep it running.

who knows though.

yeah im gonna go with english.
>>
>majoring in English

You arent supposed to go to school for your hobby. I made the same mistake
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.