[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good book on irony? I'm ironically looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Is this a good book on irony? I'm ironically looking for irony books to improve my irony because I'm ironically bad at irony.
>>
>>7979644
We live in an age of irony.

For one; why are those that are most "spiritual" the most ardent defenders of materialism?
>>
>>7979663
>generalisations
Spiritual people are no more inherently materialistic than anyone else
>>
>>7980338
In the US conservatives tend to support the rights of wealthy [classical] liberal sociopaths.
I guess it's just a tendency they carry over from their support of monarchies.

Just thinking out loud.

>>7979663
*Materialistic
I should have said
>>
Irony has devolved into a sort of pseudo-irony, or perhaps evolved into a sort of mecha-irony. It’s either so large it can’t be perceived in entirety, or so minute and convoluted our proteins have started folding into ironic patterns. I’m unsure. I’m only 50% sure my love for Pat Benatar is ironic.
When I was a kid, if you wanted to see satire, you read the Onion. Now you read Vice and you see it spattered among the articles like rancid onanistic goo, holding the site’s identity together and dripping into readers’ eyes. Irony is a warm blanket for hip youths to hide under because they don’t have a real identity of their own. Where does your ironic social media presence end, and yours begin? Don’t you want to be genuinely cool, like David Foster Wallace? That guy was all about sincerity.
Aren’t you sick of wondering whether your peers are going to pick up on your irony? Chad and Stacy don’t. They think you’re a cunt. If coolness in your social sphere is really just a measure of how far you can breed the Ironic Conception, your life has gone horribly awry. Are you sure that low-cut V-neck is really an ironic statement about masculinity, and not just a banner on your chest reading “PRETENTIOUS CUNT”? Are you sure it’s even *possible* to wear clothing ironically? The sooner we move past this nebulous inside joke nobody but Jonah Peretti is truly in on, the sooner we’ll find purpose in our lives.
>>
>>7980427
> wealthy [classical] liberal sociopaths

Because if you have wealth it means you're a sociopath.

>I guess it's just a tendency they carry over from their support of monarchies.

The fuck are you even talking about?

>Just thinking out loud.

Probably shouldn't do that too often.
>>
>>7980496
>Because if you have wealth it means you're a sociopath.
Everyone wealthier than the next guy tends to feel entitled and somehow better than those with less and none. The system's (unwitting I suppose) design encourages this in people, and I don't think it's inherently human to always be this way.

>The fuck are you even talking about?
Macro sociological historical stuff.

>Probably shouldn't do that too often.
I shall.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.