[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
name some Sci fi or fantasy novels that actually have literary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: The-Once-and-Future-King.jpg (51 KB, 274x406) Image search: [Google]
The-Once-and-Future-King.jpg
51 KB, 274x406
name some Sci fi or fantasy novels that actually have literary merit (what ever the fuck that means).

I'll start

vurt - Jeff Noon
the once and future king - T.H. White
>>
File: solaris-cover.jpg (493 KB, 980x1600) Image search: [Google]
solaris-cover.jpg
493 KB, 980x1600
>>7979140
>>
File: 1435469790944.jpg (8 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
1435469790944.jpg
8 KB, 192x263
Too rebbit, maybe
>>
>>7979236
I read this not to long ago and I wasn't too impressed. maybe it is better in its original language. the stupidity of the scientists drove me crazy.
>>
>>7979247
Why would it be reddit?
>>
>>7979285
he doesn't want to be made fun of. that's why he said that.
>>
>>7979354
im trying to fit in, shut up
>>
>>7979140
Unless they've completely changed curriculum since I've been there, Gulliver's Travels, Brave New World, Nineteen Eighty Four, and Fahrenheit 451 are often read as part of middle or high school English courses. The Time Machine and Frankenstein are often talked about, if not read. Cat's Cradle, The Stars My Destination, Starship Troopers, and the rest in this thread so far all have merit, as well as many others... Maybe not as a masterpiece and sometimes not even representative of something in particular, though.
>>
voyage to arcturus
the futurological congress (what happens when you take too much acid)
the three body problem
>>
>>7979140
Dhalgren
>>
>>7980685

Seconding voyage to arcturus.

Maybe something by the lord dunsany
>>
Anything by Gene Wolfe.
>>
File: 258392[1].jpg (23 KB, 274x400) Image search: [Google]
258392[1].jpg
23 KB, 274x400
>>
This is a good list.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-literary-fantasy-books.html
>>
>>7980685
Three Body Problem a hundred times yes.

Realized recently mid-conversation about how the tri-solarans were clearly a direct analogy for the way china has repeatedly destroyed itself throughout history. Most oriental countries, really.

Felt like an idiot for not realizing sooner.

>>7979140
Oh, and all of Robert A. Heinlein, just to contribute. Specifically, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Stranger In A Strange Land.
>>
>>7981823
>Heinlein
>having literary merit
>not just pamphlets of pubescent wish fulfillment for American ancap teenagers who will never transcend their masturbatory stage

kekkest of keks
>>
>>7981830
Eh. Jubal's got great quotes.
>>
>>7981823
Heinlein is garbage, and so is the Three Body Problem.
>>
>>7981844
But that hurts my feelings.
>>
>>7980945
I picked it up at a library and the prose was okay but it didn't seem that good? Whats the appeal?
>>
>>7981329
stop advertising your shitty blog
>>
>>7979140
E A R T H S E A
A
R
T
H
S
E
A
>>
>>7981839
>Jubal quotes
>There is no safety this side of the grave.
>Live each golden moment as if it were eternity — without fear, without hope, but with a sybaritic gusto.
>The golden sunshine of Italy congealed into tears. Here's to the alcoholic brotherhood... much more suited to the frail human soul, if any, than any other sort.

These read like you could buy them on a fake-weathered board of wood in a interior design store
>>
Little, Big by John Crowley
>>
>>7981879
Cherrypicked. Jubal on art is fantastic.
>>
>>7981909
>cherrypicked

These are picked from the first ten quotes in Wikiquote, section "By Jubal Harshaw, the doctor, lawyer, writer:"

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land#Miscellaneous_quotes

All these quotes read as if Ignatius Reilly wanted to write something "deep"
>>
File: LRDFLSBNCC1978.jpg (16 KB, 250x380) Image search: [Google]
LRDFLSBNCC1978.jpg
16 KB, 250x380
>>7979140
Only the first 6 books, though. The last 4 are kind of lame.
>>
Lovecraft
C. S. Lewis.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 716x768
>>7983244
>>
The Dispossessed
Book of the New Sun
Fifth Head of Cerberus
Gormenghast
A Canticle for Leibowitz

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'd go full pleb and argue some fairly popular genre has merit as well, like the Farseer Trilogy, Small Gods, or Hyperion.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.