[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished this. it wasn't that good. a lot of random
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-03-29-23-02-05-820066325.jpg (7 KB, 238x179) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-29-23-02-05-820066325.jpg
7 KB, 238x179
just finished this.
it wasn't that good.
a lot of random bar room banter.
seemed more like a collection of short stories.
I enjoyed it most when it stuck with one group of characters for a while.
the best chapters were when the brae read the ghastly fop.
it started off so good on the Cape.
it wasn't as funny as I heard it was.
what are pinecones other books like compared to this?
the writing was great though.
>>
so many good books out there and you read pynchon

ugh
>>
>>7975216
You should not have started with that one. You would of appreciated it more if you had read some of his earlier books first. Then you would have appreciated the book more once you know it's place in Pinecones canon
>>
>>7975224
what should I be reading
>>
>>7975234
classics, not some contemporary garbage. you want a specific? à rebours.
>>
>>7975241
fuck off. I'm not just gonna read the classics lol. I like to mix it up.
>>
>>7975245
you like eating a dump of shit after eating a pizza too? fuck oiff u, dumb american. go back to your library full of meme books.
>>
>>7975262
lol I'm not American you stupid cunt
>>
>>7975272
but act like one
gb2 your containment board >>>/r/books/
>>
>>7975284
why is this guy so mad lol?
>>
>>7975287
Just ignore the retards
Welcome to /lit/
>>
>>7975241
Pynchon will be a classic in a few years
>>
>>7975287
it's not hard to get mad when those creatures create the same threads every fucking day
>what translation of brothers k should i read
>fagles or fitzgerald
>what are your thoughts on __________ (insert meme book, meme trilogy, meme author)
>i just started X what do you think of it
>john green general
>DFW is my husbando lelelel

>>7975290
i'm not the retard, fuck you
>>
>>7975293
>>7975241
Pynchon is on Blooms canon list.
Doesn't mean much but still.
>>
>>7975298
This is why we need real life, Too-much-internet-Anon.
>>
has anyone actually read this book? I swear there were a few people reading it not to long ago.
>>
You should definitely read it. i couldnt believe i was reading high literature the whole time i was reading gravitys rainbow. i was like, THIS is what literary critics think is good? now this i can get down with lol. it was like an episode of tim and eric but somehow even more random and absurd. and the names of the characters were insane. love it, and his other books too. also if you want a wild take on history, pick up mason and dixon. it's history, but with a surreal twist. there's a guy named cherrycoke, for instane, and that's just the beginning. but you're gonna blow your top when you read this thing, so i wont spoil all the other surprises. lets just say things dont quite transpire exactly according to the dusty old history books.... things get a little.... weird. (talking dog) ok ok no more. lol couldnt resist. happy reading.
>>
>>7975964
wtf are you on about
>>
I've read it. Typical Pynchon. 2deep4you pretentious schlock mixed with some good parts and zero plot. 6/10 because I can boast about having read it.
>>
>>7975216
>hating on son&xon
>>
>>7975992

>Dixon: Don't talk to me or Ma-wife's-son ever again.
>>
>>7975983
I didn't notice any to deep for you shit in this book. do all of pinecones books have minimal plot?
>>
>>7975301
yeah but so is Roth and he suuucks
>>
>>7976006
why is there so little information on these guys on the Internet. how did pinecone write this without the Internet. did he just make everything up.
>>
>>7976867
see, there are these things called books. History books. People write them. Other people can, in turn, purchase and read them to obtain information
>>
>>7976902
if these history books existed like you say. then someone would surely transfer that information over to the mason and Dixon Wikipedia page. but there is practically nothing there.
>>
>>7975341
I read it earlier this year and loved it.

I don't really understand much of your criticism, This is one of the least of Pynchon novels that "more like a collection of short stories" would apply to.
>>
>>7976946
well it's the only one I've read. I just found that it followed mason and Dixon 1/4 of the time then random characters another quarter. then half the book was talking.
>>
>>7976961
>half the book was talking
Is this bait?
>>
>>7976661

plot??????? The New England new yorker reading literati don't need the likes of "plot" or "fun" or "humour" lad. That's for plebs.
>>
>>7976832
>roth and pynchon suck

wew lad
>>
>>7976981
3/4 of the book was talking
>>
>>7976912
your argument is seriously that there is no information about Mason and Dixon because the Wikipedia page isn't substantive? Jesus fucking christ
>>
how does one know these history books exist if one cannot look them up on the Internet first?
>>
>>7976912
is this a serious comment
>>
>>7975298
>is barely literate
>but still a snob
lel
>>
File: 1460341917485.jpg (232 KB, 768x652) Image search: [Google]
1460341917485.jpg
232 KB, 768x652
>>7975983
>zero plot.
>caring about plot
>>
I was hoping for a decent thread exploring this book, but I guess not. Thanks /lit/
>>
>>7977265
/lit/ is a terrible board for non meme discussion
Moreover, you picked a long book, the merits of which are mainly in poetic texture. Not many users here can discuss it
>>
>>7977265
no one's read it man
>>
>>7975216
>seemed more like a collection of short stories.
What else did you expect from pinecone ?
>>
>>7977304
I've never read one of his books before. I'm sorry for my ignorance.
>>
The fact that more people on /lit/ can discuss John Green than this book almost makes me despair.
>>
>>7978168
>despairs lack of discussion
>offers no substantive discussion
>>
>>7977301
I've read it but I'm here to lick memes, not to discuss books
Even if I were OP isn't exactly giving us much of a hook here
>>
>>7975224
what do you recommend you epic contrarian
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.