[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello friends. I have always liked to read a good book; since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 801x1162) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 801x1162
Hello friends.
I have always liked to read a good book; since I was a kid.
I have read and re-read almost all the 'classics' of literature as well as a substantial amount of philosophy.
I have, however, never read any poetry other than the 4 or 5 they made us analyze in high school. I've been wondering if maybe it's about time I try and get into some poetry. Where should I start (probably the Greeks again, but what specifically) and are there any specific collections I should look out for?
>>
nice body
>>
what do the moon runes say on this slut?
>>
>>7974419
free 2 cum inside
>>
jesus christ just fuck off
>>
>>7974267
whats ur kik?
>>
Start with the fragments of Heraclitus.

End with Mundus Millennialis by REI.
>>
File: Norton.jpg (206 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Norton.jpg
206 KB, 800x600
>>7974267

Pick up something like pic related. Should be a good overview. Then if you like one of the poets you can read who he/she was influenced by, if they were from a movement or school, who they influenced, who their friends were.

>>7974428

It takes all that scibbly scratchy just to say that? I was hoping it was something more elaborate and depraved.

Got any sauce on that image OP?
>>
>>7974428
would u let me??
>>
>>7974444
>Mundus Millennialis by REI

Is that a perfume?

check'em
>>
>>7974445
It doesn't say that.
>>
>>7974449
what does it say then?
>>
>>7974463
I don't know, but
>free 2 cum inside
looks like
>内側の無料兼
and none of those characters are there.
>>
>>7974467
you're such a great help anon fucking thank you for gracing me with your knowledge on the japanese alphabet fuck man i really appreciate it
>>
>>7974474
You asked.
>>
>>7974480
i asked for what it said, not speculation.
>>
>>7974467
>Doesn't know about nakadashi.

Pleb.
>>
>>7974489
i get real sex not jack off to fake chinese cartoon cosplay girl fucker
>>
>>7974485
I didn't speculate, I said I don't know and explained how I knew what it didn't say without knowing what it does say, because you seemed to think I was withholding it from you for some reason.
>>
You've read almost "all" the classics and 90% of the shit before Don Quixote was poetry, which you haven't read?

Probably the Bible or the Iliad. or are you looking for a different kind of poetry than epic?
>>
>>7974267
Like another anon said, just get an anthology.

Also this >>7974501 "read almost all the classics" but not including Homer, Shakespeare, Dante or Milton? ok pal
>>
>>7974699
>>7974501
By almost all the classics I meant almost all the classics that wouldn't be described as poetry, except for certain epics which I have read.

I should've made it clear that I'm looking for more 'typical' (not sure how to describe it exactly) poetry rather than epics like The Odyssey or the Bible, so I'm sorry about that.

If I do just get an anthology do you folk have any recommendations for specific ones or should I just get any that comes my way?
>>
>>7974751
>more 'typical' (not sure how to describe it exactly) poetry

I think you mean lyric and shorter narrative verse.

>If I do just get an anthology do you folk have any recommendations for specific ones or should I just get any that comes my way?

The Norton Anthology is the biggest and standard. The Oxford Anthology should probably be good too. Penguin also do anthologies of particular eras and movements which I have a few of.
>>
>>7974751
If you were classifying it against epic you would call it lyric poetry.
The oxford book of english verse?
Fitzgerald's Rubaiyat of Omar Khaiyyam is very nice+widely available+culturally popular+quotable as fuck. 1st edition is best edition, you could just read it online as it's composed of about 100 four line stanzas.
>>
>>7974775
Fitzgerald's Rubaiyat is one of my favourite books of all time.
>>
>>7974496
Nakadashi means creampie.
>>
File: bird'sfoottrefoil.png (342 KB, 720x818) Image search: [Google]
bird'sfoottrefoil.png
342 KB, 720x818
4chanlit.wikia.com/poetry

from now on don't come to /lit/ for poetry, it'll hurt your understanding far more than it'll help if you consider that 99% of the people here know as little as you, they just pretend otherwise or are deluded enough to believe otherwise.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.