[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /lit/ think of the Series of Unfortunate Events?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Olaf.jpg (55 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
Olaf.jpg
55 KB, 600x750
What did /lit/ think of the Series of Unfortunate Events?
>>
>>7969152
I enjoyed it.
>>
>>7969152
I liked it when I was a kid, much better plots and settings than HP. I regret stopping at book 10 tho.
>>
Best children's series.
>>
I loved them all. Plus, its fanbase is not a bunch of faggots, unlike HP's
>>
>>7969152
I read the first one when I was a kid and have been thinking about reading all of them this year as a 28 year old man.... should I?
>>
>>7969883
Sure, might take a week in your free time.
>>
I never picked them up as a kid because I was positive it'd be a Harry Potter rip off.

Maybe I should give them a go?
>>
>>7969883
don't do it man. Assuming you are reasonably versed in literature, what good can possibly come from this? Just enjoy the memories you have of them from your childhood. Maybe watch the movies when they come out. revisiting childhood favorites usually ends badly.
>>
>>7969949
>>7969883
Just do it
>>
>>7969964
You dont even know, that sweet nostalgia
>>
>>7969964

What a load of rubbish.

LS in particular certainly stands up to adult scrutiny. You have to remember that these books are written FOR CHILDREN and can be enjoyed as great examples of children's literature in their own right - not to be stood next to James Joyce or Gabriel Garcia Marquez books etc and thought of as an inferior product.
>>
File: I Kant Believe It's Not Olaf.png (66 KB, 172x594) Image search: [Google]
I Kant Believe It's Not Olaf.png
66 KB, 172x594
>>7969152
Anyone else see it?

Also I hated it as a kid, thought it was really boring. Can't remember why.
>>
they're horrible pleb shit. would rather read harry potter
>>
Even as a kid I hated how formulaic they were. Like the first was entertaining but the rest were just carbon copies.

I also fucking hated how Snicket would slide in these condescending explanations/definitions of vocabulary. There would always be an "adult" who explained a word and then one of the kids would say "we KNOW what it means" but I saw right through that shit.
>>
>>7970886
they should just kill two with one and make a Kant bio without him taking the mask off
>>
was the VFD, and other mysterious things based off of Pynchon-like Crying from Lot 49 conspiracies?
>>
File: 4L_avJpzapY.jpg (198 KB, 809x1024) Image search: [Google]
4L_avJpzapY.jpg
198 KB, 809x1024
A favorite between the ages of 8 and 14, but no longer. Essentially a writer for very young people. Romantic in the large sense.
>>
>>7971231
This. I read the first two. I didn't know the word at the time but felt they were cheap exploitation that didn't even deliver on the sob side.
>>
Depressing
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.