[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to read the Bible? >inb4 just read it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: the-holy-bible[1].jpg (46 KB, 567x567) Image search: [Google]
the-holy-bible[1].jpg
46 KB, 567x567
What is the best way to read the Bible?

>inb4 just read it

Even if you have "read" the Bible unaided, you will have zoned out during the genealogy, imbibed useless passages and failed to take note of more important ones.

That is because theological texts are not insular. Besides some portions of the King James version, the Bible is not an interesting text in itself unless you are willing to suspend your disbelief in order to read it literally.

Besides joining a parish, what are the best tools for reading the Bible?
>>
>reading the bible
Tips fedora
>>
>doesn't know how to read the bible
>condescends people who just read the bible
>>
>>7964438
for the OT watch these:
http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145#sessions and read the course materials, also get the Jewish Study Bible
>>
File: Burning Bible.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Burning Bible.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>7964438
>>
Remember that the first five books were written over 1,000 years before the events in them. This is why you have things like tamed camels a millenia before man tamed camels.

Remember that many of the legends in the bible were ripped from older religions, such as the flood or the resurrected deity.

Remember to add the Apocrypha, Pseudepigrapha and Talmud on top. The EU is pretty fun, even if it got decanonized by a corporate decision from those who held the licensing.

Remember to compare it to scientific fact. Anything you find contradicting science "was just metaphor, really ;_;"

And finally, read the KJV version.
>>
>>7964507
>before
*after
>>
From a former believer, now skeptic:

Genesis for some classic stories.
Ecclesiastes for the philosophical parts, fallacious as they may be.
Song of Solomon for a very idealistic, subjective take of sex. Probably the sexiest book in the bible. Awkward considering Christians' demonization of sex.
Acts for the history of the early church. 21 short chapters, very readable.
Revelation for some trippy shit about the end times (more in later chapters of Daniel, if you are big on the whole 'four-footed beasts' thing).

Some fiction re-interpreting the Bible I'd like to recommend:

The Storm Lord, by Tanith Lee: creative re-telling of Moses, as Sword & Sorcery.

The Worthing Saga, by Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game Author). Semi-allegory of the Bible and the Mormon bible thing about the collapse of a future civilization built around space travel and cryosleep. Very, very deep stuff

VALIS and most other books by Philip K Dick. Built of Gnostic Christianity, the brainy, darker re-interpretation of Christian themes, I'll leave you to discover on your own.

Happy reading!
>>
>>7964608
Scribbling these down in the back of my Bible. Huge thanks. I'll probably read all of the New Testament anyway since its short. Those re-interpretations sound like great supplementary reading too.
>>
>>7964647
>desecrating a Holy Book
>>
>>7964667
A flimsy Bible is a strong Christian.
>>
>>7964438
Burning it :)
>>
>>7964667
The Bible is just a book, we aren't muslim.
>>7964507
I believe this man is a jew.

Reading the Talmud is in no way necessary, other than if you hold tremendous hatred of Christ and humanity in your heart, or want to understand those who do.
>>
>>7964754
I think he's trying to drop a low-key redpill.
>>
>>7964438
I can give you a few books to read as you read the New Testament, or read before it to point out certan thematic elements you otherwise wouldn't.
Here I primarily refer to Jesus of Nazareth trilogy by pope Benedict XVI, it's really well done.
>>
You need to read Exodus, too. It's one of the most important books of the OT, if not the most important.
>>
>>7964779
tell me why
>>
>>7964754
I would be surprised if Islam wasn't okay with people jotting notes in their Quran.
>>
>>7964438
Just read the Brick testament and Ecclesiastes and be done with it
>>
>>7964827
It seems you don't actually know very much about islam.
>>7964764
I don't know, there were a lot of things about his writing style that suggests a secular jew to me.
>>7964805
In many ways it directly mirrors the gospels and revelation, as well as setting the final pieces of the stage for Christ.
>>
anyone got recs on side reading to understand the context around different periods of bible authorship?
my understanding is that certain things have become modern spooks out of misunderstanding references to contemporary culture, and generally i've come to the conclusion that it's just as important to know external history when trying to understand the bible
>>
Read it, then go to a bible study and/or church and read it again.
>>
>>7964438
Is the king james version good to read? Its pretty hard to read desu.
>>
>>7964504
>>7964443
>>7964705
So fucking edgy holy shit
Seriously, this is the only board of this motherfucking site that is good
Fuck off and go back to plebbit/b/r9k you fucking normies
>>
>>7964705
>>7964504
Why do atheist think we care about what happens to a Bible? It's just paper and ink.
>>
>>7964805
Whole religion was at the beginning means to repay God for freeing from egyptian enslavement
>>
>>7967032
Calm down my man
>>
If you're a Protestant, start with Mark, then Genesis and Isaiah, then the rest of the Gospels, then Acts, then the Pauline Epistles.

If you're a Gnostic, start with John, and go on to Ecclesiastes and Job, then Genesis.

If you're a Catholic, just skip it and read the Catechism lel
>>
>>7967032
To be honest that's how I actually feel about he Bible and Christianity. Yes, I've read the whole thing, and regularly cite passages from memory because I grew up taking it seriously. I think Abrahamic religions are anti-human, or at least anti-me.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it edgy or a troll.
>>
An understanding of Mesopotamian ancient history would help because the Babylonians and Assyrians are in there.
>>
I heard Ezekiel is dank as fuck
>>
>>7964438
>you will have zoned out
please don't make insulting assumptions about my attention span in anonymous posts on a Lithuanian fruit-swuggling board
>>
I agree you'll want to start skipping verses when you see the word "begot" like twelve times in a row but I'd suggest just starting from the beginning with a good commentary close by because all of it is connected and later books in the bible give better context to events that are the entire focus of earlier ones. I use the Bible+ app.
>>
>>7964438

My suggestions have to do with the arrangement of the books themselves. It seems like a lot of people who attempt a straight-through cover-to-cover reading get bogged down before long. In addition to the division between Old and New Testament, there are the numerous different kinds of books in the Bible.

At the very least, I would recommend thinking about reading from the Old and New Testaments concurrently. This could be divided up even further, either by alternating kinds of books or by, say, reading concurrently from the Torah, Prophets, and/or other OT writings.

One major benefit of alternating is that it will better show connections between the OT and NT. The biggest aspect of this is the connection between the Gospels and the OT prophets.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.