[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cervantes > Shakespere prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: Meme-Cervantes.png (321 KB, 426x455) Image search: [Google]
Meme-Cervantes.png
321 KB, 426x455
Cervantes > Shakespere
prove me wrong.
>>
>>7956236

Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, Macbeth.

Q.E.D.
>>
>>7956236
Cervantes was a one-trick pony. Same joke for 900 pages
>>
I won't because I can't because Cervantes really is better
>>
>>7956236
>just found out they both died on this very day exactly 400 years ago
woah
>>
If Cervantes was such an amazingly influential linguist and writer compares to Shakespeare, than why is it that the majority of people speaking Spanish in the developed world are illegal immigrants, instead of the citizens who speak English?

Checkmate, Hispanophones.
>>
>>7956405
they were the same person
>>
I have no idea how you could even make a case for Cervantes.
>>
>>7956430
Blame Conquistadors' lust for Amerindian pussy.
>>
>>7955555
I wonder who got this one
>>
File: 1460638034361.jpg (31 KB, 491x418) Image search: [Google]
1460638034361.jpg
31 KB, 491x418
>"I am Spanish/Mexican and I'm jealous of English lit"
>>
>>7956448
Quixote is better than anything Shakespeare wrote, but Cervantes' other books are kind of mediocre
>>
Francois Rabelais > Shakespere
prove me wrong.
>>
I couldnt believe Don Quixote was such an old book when I was reading it
It was the dumbest, goofiest shit ever and I loved it
>>
cervantes was just a spicy shakespeare
>>
>>7956681
>im a buttblasted monolingual anglo
>>
what's so great about him? should i look into his work?
>>
>>7956405
England and Spain had different calendars then, so not really
>>
>>7956681
This.
There is no plausible case for Cervantes. Sure, "inventing" the novel was pretty cool, and I don't deny Quixote's merits. But as another anon pointed out, it was the same joke for a thousand pages. And its several stories within a story serve no point except to frustrate the reader--Cervantes was the original Steven King (assuming 11/22/1963 is representative of his whole body of work). Finally, there were sufficient precursors to the novel to render its invention less than revolutionary or groundbreaking. Cervantes merely combined the existing genres of short fiction compilations (The Decameron, Canterbury Tales) with epic poems, the latter of which were already more or less novels in poetic form. I've heard it said that The Odyssey is the first novel.

Shakespeare, on the other hand, is THE master of drama and one of the greats of poetry.

Anyway, I'm eager for an anon to actually make the case for Cervantes rather than simply declaring it.
>>
>>7956697
Fucking douche.
>>
>>7956700
Me too; it reads as easily as most books written 200 years later. Nothing even nearly contemporary compares.
>>
>>7956399
implying shakespeare is different
>>
>>7956236
Don Quixote is better than than anything Shakespeare ever wrote, like Proust's ISOLT, but Shakespeare's overall literary work dwarfs both.
>>
>>7956236
but senpai, shakespeare L I T E R A L L Y invented the human
>>
>>7958059
Shakespeare never actually wrote anything. He was illiterate and couldn't even spell his own name. Look up Amelia Bassano if you want to get educated.
>>
>>7958093
Tell me more anon
>>
>>7958093
http://www.snopes.com/amelia-bassano-william-shakespeare/
>>
>>7958059
>>7958059

This is a plausible argument
>>
>>7956430
so sad you are american
>>
>>7956244

Don Quijote I and II, Persiles y Segismunda, Novelas ejemplares

RIP in piss
>>
>>7957046
You don't even know what you are talking about.
>>
>>7958093
You're on /lit/: if you are or you are not baiting, you should know better.
>>
>>7956700
Translated or in the original Spanish? Because I'd imagine with 400 years of linguistic shifts the language is as alien to modern Spanish speakers as Shakespeare is to us.

Are the public domain translations any good or should I spring out for a recent one? I'll be visiting Spain this summer, seems as good an excuse as any to read Quixote.
>>
>>7957003
shut up
>>7956430
feel the bern
>>
File: 1456289005357.jpg (109 KB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
1456289005357.jpg
109 KB, 343x400
>>
>>7956236
SAGE NOW
>>
>>7956399
>Same joke for 900 pages
then he turns it around for the second part, and it becomes much better. also remember that it is an old book, so it is expected to be long as fuck. If Shakespeare wrote novels, they would be just as long and monotonal.
>>
>>7962271
Lol, no, that's just the sign of an inferior writer. Shakespeare's mostly forgotten contemporaries wrote plenty of long-winded plays because guess what? They fucking sucked. Cervantes BTFO stay buttmad spics
>>
>>7962278
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7962311
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7956399
As opposed to a play where important information is revealed by a fucking ghost?
>>
>>7962311
Cervantes fought the Ottomans. He was whiter than you.
>>
>>7957046
>cervantes sólo escribió un solo libro
Put that in Google Translate, monolingual englishcuck who will never appreciate the beauty of the most patrician Romantic language bby reading it's greatest writer in terms of prose alone.
>>
>>7962175
Spanish hasn't evolved that much. Barely, even. I mean, in terms of vocabulary, sure, but other than that, structure, punctuation, all that...no, not really. At least in general, latinamerica has more transformations due to obvious reasons.
>>
>>7956236
"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
- Shakespeare

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
- Cervantes

Shakespeare was miles ahead of Cervantes. His output was greater, his writing was richer, his everything was everythinger.
>>
>>7962660
>translated Cervantes
Mogolico
>>
>>7962660
Only an idiot compares a poem with a novel.

It's nonsense trying to decide who was the best writer ever as if they were football clubs. Just enjoy their works.

BTW, the fact that english is now the lingua franca and most of the movies/series/music around the world are american, makes it easier that Shakespeare is best known than any other writer.

If the world was ruled by the chinese probably nobody knew about Shakespeare or Cervantes, and we would all hear about, say, Su Shi.
>>
>>7962660
"All I know is that while I’m asleep, I’m never afraid, and I have no hopes, no struggles, no glories — and bless the man who invented sleep, a cloak over all human thought, food that drives away hunger, water that banishes thirst, fire that heats up cold, chill that moderates passion, and, finally, universal currency with which all things can be bought, weight and balance that brings the shepherd and the king, the fool and the wise, to the same level. There’s only one bad thing about sleep, as far as I’ve ever heard, and that is that it resembles death, since there’s very little difference between a sleeping man and a corpse."
-Cervantes

"I have done thy mother."
-Shakespeare

Cervantes was miles ahead of Shakespeare. His output was greater, his writing was richer, his everything was everythinger.
>>
>>7964514
brevity is the soul of wit, my friend
compared to shakey, cervantes' wit is sharp like a wet rag
>>
>>7964571
Fuck off.
>>
>>7964597
bite me
>>
>>7964571
>brevity is the soul of wit, my friend
That's why Hamlet, when performed unabridged, is 4.5 hours long?
>>
>>7964610
soul requires a body to wrap it in form

compression can only go so far.

more soul in 30 seconds of hamlet than in all of don quixote
>>
>>7964610
>he thinks the 4.5 hour hamlet is a single unified script

haha holy fuck you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>7964632
soul requires a body to wrap it in form

compression can only go so far.

more soul in 30 letters of don Quijote than in all of hamlet

I can suck a writer's dick with meaningless platitudes as well.

>>7964641
>>he thinks the 4.5 hour hamlet is a single unified script
As a non-native english speaker, I must ask you what the fuck this is supposed to mean.
>>
>>7964658
The 4.5 hour Hamlet is a combination of several different scripts from different sources in an attempt to include every scene possible. It was never performed that way during his time, and there is evidence to suggest that even the scripts it's pulling from weren't performed in their entirety, the troupe would pick and choose what they thought was worth putting on.
>>
If Shakespeare had only a handful of plays maybe, but the only cervantes worth reading is quixote and some short stories

Not enough
>>
>>7964597
>>7964610
>missing the joke
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.