[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone here trying to write a novel while working a full-time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: 1950sgirl10.jpg (58 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1950sgirl10.jpg
58 KB, 450x600
Is anyone here trying to write a novel while working a full-time office job?

For the first few months it was ok but now my energy and focus are completely drained. I work from 8:30am to 5:30pm with a 30 minute commute each way. The work is glorified data entry and most of my day is spent not working. Staring at a screen for 8-9 hours and killing so much time is really getting to me. It seems time-killing is an essential aspect of office life but I fear I'm wasting the most productive years of my life being a submissive cuck for the sake of security.

Please no college-aged kids or highschoolers.
>>
>Please no college-aged kids or highschoolers.
Why?

Work + College is a tough schedule, so can be highschool, but it's almost summer and lots of highschoolers and College kids are working full time jobs. Just because you're balding you're experiencing more legitimate misery?
>>
I've written plays while working a couple of part time jobs (48 hours total). Fortunately on one of those jobs (night watchman) I could write for about half my shift.

I'm thinking of converting one of my plays to a novel, since no theater wants to hire a cast of 15 for an unknown writing about foul mouthed drunks and drug addicts.
>>
>>7955893
If your wasting that much time at work, just work on your novel at work?
>>
also
>Please no college-aged kids or highschoolers.
>/lit/
>75% of users age 18-22
>>
I know a guy who has been writing philosophy books for 25 years while working a full-time office job that he fucking hates

He's completely brilliant and recognised but he's into kinda weird specific topics so he has limited financial success from it
>>
Cant you write at work ?
Since you have a comfy office job it would be eady, also you still have like 6 hours left in your day. Write an hour a day either at work or when you get home. School is a lot of times more time consuming than work
>>
>>7955972
I've tried in the past (I even think my novel was made "shareable" somehow and I hope nobody on my network saw it). I edited a great deal of my second novel at work using Outlook Online but now I have someone sitting beside me and people walking behind me all the time so I can't do that, plus it's loud and there's a fluorescent light in my face all day making it impossible to relax or concentrate.

>>7955987
His name?

Or at least what job does he work?

I know people do work full-time while doing office work, but when it comes to actual writers of renown the number is very few. Ligotti worked full-time at the same job for a decade but it was at least at an academic publishing company.
>>
I've been doing the same thing, and my pro-tip to guarantee at least one hour a day of writing is to wake up an hour earlier and work on that novel with breakfast. Also, write whenever possible at work and read during your lunch break.
>>
>>7955893
Do you write in the morning or at night? Also I did this for a while in a year I took off college. I work part time and go to school part time. If I can't find a way to dodge a 40 hours/week office job I plan to kill myself.
>>
>>7956014
Name ONE FUCKING WRITER who has written anything of value at his or her full-time office job. Faulkner does not count as he had eight hours to himself in silence and solitude.

This fucking delusion makes me want to kill myself.

>>7956016
I write at night. I refuse to wake up any earlier than I currently do because my life will consist of working, sleeping and writing at that point. All work and no play will make Anon a suicidal boy.
>>
>>7956000
>>7956014
Anyone who thinks you can write at work has never worked a job. Reading maybe.
>>7956025
I see it the other way. My peak hours are in the morning and I refuse to give them to my shitty job. In the afternoon, regardless of whether I woke up early, I feel shitty and drained. And if I get my work done in the morning, then whatever happens during the day, I've done what I've needed to do.
>>
>>7956025
I heard Joshua Ferris wrote Then We Came To The End at his advertising job and it was a finalist for the national book award
>>
>>7956033
Lol m8 sounds like you just want an excuse to stop writing, I've worked in construction and still had time to write. You have a nice office job and are still complaining ? C'mon dude, chances are you wont ever be a famous (or even good) author even if you had like 12 hours to write a day. Funny how you have time to shitpost tho.
Get vitamin supplements and stop eating trash, maybe you'll have energy left after you leave work.
>>
I have had some free time on my hands lately and have begun writing some pieces.
Motivation to sit still and write is tough to find.
I find that exercising before I work at my novel really helps.
>>
>>7956060
>lol My life is so much harder and you're on fucking easy mode. Git gud.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>7956094
You are the one making the thread about how your life is so hard :( bawww I can't write I'm the only human being with a job in here ? bawww bawwww
>>
>>7956102
lol he's kind of right, you know

even hacks like bukowski managed to write every day despite doing 50 hour weeks in a mail room
>>
>>7956102
I'm not OP dumbass.
>>
>>7956117
I read that as "Hacks work 50 hour weeks in a mail room."
>>
>>7956132
>implying OP would ever be half as good as Bukowski
>>
>>7956057
OP here. You are FUCKING WRONG as usual.

He quit that job at the age of ~26 to take an MA in creative writing, and was then awarded a grant of a year's wages so that he could live without working in New York while writing his debut novel.

If you're going to perpetuate a meme at least get your facts straight.
>>
>>7956117
>bukowski

WRONG you fucking retard

Bukowski failed to write anything of worth until the age of 28 when the owner of Black Sparrow Press urged him to quit his job and write full-time with money gifted to him by said owner.
>>
>>7956157
>>7956159
I'm imagining an overweight, hairy IT-undergrad who screams "WRONG" and jumps slightly in his sweaty old leather chair
>>
Brian O'Nolan worked full time as a civil servent which is why he had to publish under different names but he regularly let off steam about it in his newspaper columns
>>
>>7956157
OK retard calm down, if you wanna write so badly move back in with your parents and stop playing the Oppression Olympics
>>
>>7956169
FUCK YOU YOU PIECE OF SHIT. WHY DON'T YOU SAY THAT OFFLINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS YOU CUNT
>>
>>7955956
I spent more time working in college than I did after. My last two years of college I was in the classroom 18 hours a week, then I was working 35 hours. Doing homework was a struggle, let alone working on my senior project, a novella.
My advice is to keep reading, and maybe spend some time away from the novel to work on something else. If it become similar to work-like monotony then you have two sources of that in your life which can feel even more crushing.
I know you probably feel obligated to work on the novel over the weekends, so you probably haven't left home in a while. Say fuck it the novel, and go somewhere for a weekend. Go to a museum, see an art film, go into nature, just do something out of the ordinary, it can break up that feeling.
>>
>>7956159
hahaha I didnt realize people as dumb as you posted on this board until now. With 5 seconds of research you can find out how wrong you are

He was 45 years old when the owner of Black Sparrow paid him to quit his job at the mail room. It was published when he was 50

He had been writing every day since he was in his 20s but, as stated, didn't receive recognition until he was middle aged
>>
>>7955893
i could write in work tb h and i tried it few times. Honestly only ocassions i could write is in work, too many distractions in home
>>
>>7956169
I cannot move back in with my parents as I refuse to sacrifice the sexual value status I have worked hard to achieve, having previously been unemployed.
>>
>>7956210
I meant to type 48, not 28.

This is a minor error on my part, and the fact that every single other fact in my post was both insightful and accurate should have suggested the incorrect fact was posted in error.
>>
>>7955893
>Please no college-aged kids or highschoolers
That is a good 90% of this board. Also some highschoolers and college-aged kids work full time jobs, go to college, all while they work on their novels. Its a bit of a shame to close off that demographic, when they are the saddest demographic.
>>
>>7956222
You do realize it's not uncommon for people to stay at home in this garbage economy, right? In fact it's probably the smarter thing to do for anyone making less than like $40k a year.

Also stop pretending that you're some kind of womanizer, you're posting on an anime board.
>>
>>7956417
I didn't say I was a womanizer, only that my sexual value is high enough to prevent my being immediately dismissed as a potential romantic and / or erotic partner by the opposite sex.
>>
>>7956432
What kind of stuff do you write about?
>>
>>7956452
I am writing a novel about a NEET ascetic virgin with puritan beliefs.
>>
>>7956462
What happens to him
>>
>>7956468
Not telling.
>>
>>7956060
>Europeans thinking they actually work anywhere near the amount Americans or the Japanese work.
>Construction. Work from 7am to 2pm. Union mandated.
Lol M8
>>
>>7956432
You must be ugly or unconfident then cause I work part time at $11 an hour and still have the attention of several grills. Congrats on curbing your writing ambitions because you're trying to impress girls that won't have sex with you.
>>
>>7956833
>girls

There is only one girl I am trying to impress.
>>
>>7956228
>being this autistic
>>
>>7955893
Start working out brah, get /fit/ You'll have the energy you need.
>>
>>7956859
Physical energy is inferior to mental energy, and only the latter is worth my time.
>>
>>7956873
Your brain is a part of the whole, it doesn't exist in a vaccum. The platitude healthy mind=healthy body is actually true.
>>
>>7956851
If she genuinely likes you and isn't some skank she won't care if you live at home and are writing a novel
>>
>>7956873
I'll take "fat people rationalizations" for 200, Alex.
>>
My university is almost full-time, as I take two hours of commuting.

It's bloody difficult to harmonize my uni duties with my literary ambitions. I read less, I write less, and everything gets completely disorganized.
>>
>>7956938
She is by no means a skank. In fact all evidence suggests she is from a wealthy background, was privately educated and attended one of the best colleges in the country. I, on the other hand, was raised by a single mother in a poor area and attended a shit-tier highschool and a mediocre college, have zero friends and no social skills except for on the internet where I am both entertaining and very likeable due to my frankness, my humour and my ability to articulate things in a funny but truthful way. I believe she did show interest in me initially, when we first noticed each other, though over time I think it's likely she has become bored with me and then began to either feel indifferent towards me or an active dislike due to my closed personality and my lack of phone or social networking profile(s).

>>7957257
I'm not fat.
>>
>>7956025
kafka, wallace stevens, charles ives, william carlos williams,
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.