[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so smug about the fact that they read books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8
Why are people so smug about the fact that they read books?
>>
The same way that people shitpost.
>>
>>7945175

For the exact same reason that people here posture and nurse an illusion of superiority.

It's a way for dumb nerds to feel important even though they're not getting any likes.
>>
>>7945175

-a lot of people don't read books, so it's harder to find people to connect with about reading- putting your interest out on the internet helps you find likeminded people

-people think reading books makes you intellectual or interesting
>>
>>7945203
You have an illusion of superiority.
>>
it's because they're posers!
>>
>>7945175
Trying to fill the void inside them.
>>
Personally I love books. The smell, the feel, the comfortable weight in your hand, the feeling of progress as you turn from page to page, the approaching dread as you approach the last pages and know that the story is about to end, but you've still got so many questions, damn it! How can it end like this?

The relaxing, noiseless nature of the activity that totally elevates you from the deluge of information that is constantly assailing your senses, into a world where your mind, your imagination, replaces everything. God, reading is just so wonderful, so much better than any form of entertainment or any other pastime. I think it was Matthew Arnold (not sure) who said that the advantage of literature is that it is an entirely intellectual exercise, with no practical considerations, so (for example) death in Paradise Lost depends is not confined to any technical powers of costume or prop making, not constrained to any particular perspective, not limited to the skill of actors, but only to the skill of the reader to interpret and the writer to evoke.
>>
>>7945210

Of course I do. Realizing and admitting makes me superior tho.
>>
>>7945289
>of course I have an illusion of superiority
>illusion
>I realize and admit to being superior

Do you know what "illusion" means?
>>
>>7945293

Yes. Do you understand metatranscendence?
>>
>>7945301
I understand what bullshit means.
>>
File: 1439274632596.png (266 KB, 380x400) Image search: [Google]
1439274632596.png
266 KB, 380x400
Why are people so insecure about the fact that they don't read books?
>>
>>7945317

Realizing my illusion of superiority causes me to transcend the illusion and attain actual superiority. Meta because it concerns itself, transcendence is self-evident.

Cut back on the shitposting and read more.
>>
>>7945340
Reading your posts is shitty enough for me.
>>
File: 1457155921286.png (142 KB, 473x462) Image search: [Google]
1457155921286.png
142 KB, 473x462
>>7945340
Hey man I'm just curious but are you also a writer? Do you have short stories or novels or anything like that that I could read? I enjoy your posts
>>
>>7945348
Thanks, babe.
>>
>>7945175
1) We live in a society basedon individuality and rationality instead of community, history, and tradition.
2) Naturally, some people will have trouble with self esteem and forming secure identities.
3) Some people derive their sense of self-hood and self worth from their hobbies.
4) Reading tends to be associated with the intellectual class.
5) Some people who read will be pretentious.
>>
I just don't see the appeal and the constant need to bash anyone who doesn't like to read books when most of the people who do that just read useless literature like Maze Runner, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, John Green, etc... And then call themselves ''avid readers'', those books are merely just entertainment and will do you as good as reading any mindless article on the internet. I just hate the people who treat non-book readers as ignorant and inferior thinking that pieces of paper with printed words are literally the only way to gain knowledge, specially when they read such useless fictional crap as mentioned, some people will read just about anything in order to seem interesting and more cult, they say they will like the piece when in reality they have just been under the influence of suggestion, that is, of the popularity of the author and the need to fit in with other mindless people who want to look interesting too. I have nothing against books and book-readers but absolutely hate this attitude. If you really want to gain true knowledge and not ''how to do a Wingardium Leviosa'' then read a real educational book and stop bragging about how you love to read novels, entertainment is entertainment and just that so if you really think books are the only way to overcome ignorance then you've been living under a rock.
>>
>>7945419
You're bashing people who bash people, hypocrite.
>>
>>7945419
This is bait, right?
>>
>>7945430
no u
>>
>>7945340
Or you could be twice as delusional.
>>
>>7945175
hey! Thats me!
>>
>>7945175
Normal people and outcasts are smug about everything they do. Because they're still in their insecure phase.

weightlifters
people who like music
diet fags
list goes on and on.
Just Ignore them cause they only seek validation for letting you know that they love this and only know about some "unknown" book or band.
>>
who here /readsbooks/?
>>
>>7945175
The aesthetic of a packed bookshelf is comparable to /fit/ checking itself out in the mirror
>>
>>7945424
Hypocrisy doesn't necessarily make you wrong.
If a crackhead tells you not to do crack, it's still good advice.
>>
>>7950293
I didn't say wrong. I said hypocritical. Learn English.
>>
>>7945424
so by that logic if someone doesn't like someone who doesn't like someone, they're a hypocrite? "You don't like Nazis because they don't like Jews? wow you hypocrite" it's a bullshit argument to make mate
>>
>>7945219
Me? I'm a proser.
>>
>>7945424
if he said that the act of "bashing" in and of itself is always wrong, and then proceeded to bash, then they would be a hypocrite. this person is not doing that
>>
>>7950977
qualifiers are relative.

>>7950966
Denying you're a hypocrite just makes you look worse.
>>
>>7945175
Because smart people write books and reading them can let you feel what it is like to be in the mind or a smart person or even a genius.

Read enough and you start to think you are that genius.
>>
>>7950980
Vague philosophical one-liners make you feel smart.
>>
>>7950990
shhh...

Grammatical statements have nothing to do with philosophy.
>>
>>7950980
>qualifiers are relative
what do you even mean by this? can you even respond to anybody without acting like a smug bastard?
>>
>>7951022
I'll try not to trigger your autism.
>>
File: 160.gif (613 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
160.gif
613 KB, 295x221
>>7951029
just trying to find out why you're throwing out the word hypocrite all willy-nilly, anon. but you have proved yourself incompetent of communicating with others. im outta here
>>
>>7951045
bye.
>>
>>7945219
tell me about the ducks Holden
>>
>I have 20 unread books at home but I really, really need to buy this one

Op, No. That is not a book lover. That is a collector and a hoarder. a le-cool-i'm-so-quirky-book-lover-look-at-my-selfie-with-my-glasses hoarder/liar who looks at books only as pieces of wood to improve social status.

Pretentious insecure attention whoring maybe. To answer your question, read the above paragraph to find out the kind of people who will act smug about being 'book readers'
>>
>>7951076
two sides of the same coin i think, anon. the person in the paragraph above is just as in need of status and insecure as the rest. The point OP was making was that books in themselves bring out these beasts, no matter what they look like.
>>
Shit, I mean we all have books we bought and haven't read but who takes pride in it. I'm gonna get around to brothers karamazov one day but it collecting dust on my bookcase doesn't make me a super duper special snowflake.
>>
>>7951103
>we're all bros

no, we're not anon
>>
>>7951103

It shouldn't, i feel bad you even posted brothers k almost finding it somewhat obscure even by pleb levels.

You're a loser.
>>
>>7951103

you need to be above the age of 18 to post on this site
>>
>>7945430
yes. not bad either.
>>
>>7945175
y r ppl that dont read so insecure that they project their inferiority complex on readers?
>>
>>7945175
literally me
>>
>>7945340
>realising I have no reason to think I'm better than people makes me better than people because I say so

Yeah, that's a great fucking reason. Stop just telling people to read more and actually give evidence for why you admitting you have an issue stops you having an issue. A schizophrenic admitting his delusions are just that doesn't make them reality. This isn't some chim bullshit where you realising the reality of your situation causes you to ascend or become better, that only happens through hard work.

You admitting you have an unfounded sense of superiority makes you one of two things. Actually insane, or someone who sees themselves as no longer above people.
>>
>>7951126
>>7951134
>>7951139
What's with the people shitting on this guy for absolutely no reason? He raises a good point, that people do buy books and just don't read them sometimes, for whatever reason. You just can't get into it yet, you feel like it's too much for you at this point, you just pick something else up somewhere and like it more, whatever.

I'm inclined to think this is just a samefag though, similar posting styles.
>>
>>7951803
Big brother is watching you.
>>
Pretty much everybody is smug about something to some extent.
>>
>>7951103

TBK is one of my favorite books. You're missing out.
>>
>>7951103
The problem is that so many of these books were originally serials. It's the same kind of dread people have about "I should really watch Breaking Bad, but damn, it's like 10 fucking seasons."
>>
>>7945175
people like to talk about their interests
>>
File: 1461010939593.jpg (37 KB, 552x571) Image search: [Google]
1461010939593.jpg
37 KB, 552x571
>>7945175
>>
>>7952233
sleep snug smug
>>
>>7952233
sleep snug, smug
>>
Because people who read are better than people who don't. Embracing our pride about this is feels wonderful. It's like when I, being tall, ripped, and handsome, enjoy a piece of cheesecake. I enjoy it much more than he nearby uglies because I'm better than them.

People who read are better than people who don't, and it's as simple as that.
>>
>>7952233
sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>7952233
sleepy snug, smug
>>
Yeah? I read. no big deal. You should see my bookshelves, I have 3 infinite jesters.
>>
>>7945239
I never really dreaded a book to end, I think of the endings as the orgasm, yeah I like masturbating just for the sake of stroking it, but really the whole point is to reach the end, to see those last words that knock your head back and have you seeing stars as the waves of relief and serenity roll over you.
>>
>>7945175
Same reason Africans are smug about having a car. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
>>
File: rato.jpg (79 KB, 780x871) Image search: [Google]
rato.jpg
79 KB, 780x871
>>7952233
sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>7945203
In it's own special way this is ostentatious, too; you supercilious fuck.
>>
File: Shocking-GIF.gif (856 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Shocking-GIF.gif
856 KB, 500x281
>>7954167
hello
rato
>>
>>7951791
An individual who is aware of their mediocrity among a group of people with delusions of grandeur certainly stands above them if the measure of not-being-a-massive-faggot is not maintaining the illusion of superiority.

Your analogy is also bullshit. Things aren't equal just because you want them to be, and you can no more draw meaningful comparison between a psychological disorder and a personality trait than you can an apple and the second law of thermodynamics.
>>
>>7954167
hello_rato
>>
It's usually women who do this. It's hard to find men who show off what they read and when they do, they're always Nu-males or autists... same difference anyway.

With the women, it's simply another 'cute' or 'wacky' thing to blog about. It's in the same court as that image that floats around of a woman in a gym, taking a mirror selfy pulling a stupid face and she had written 'Lol, new gym pose on the guy in the background hehe XD' implying he was doing anything weird; he was just standing there spotting someone however.

It's a simple attention grab and the irony is that these people want to appear 'smart' when only a retard thinks reading makes you smart or wise. Wrong. You don't just read and be done with it, it's just words on a page, it's what you take away from it and these arseholes are only taking one thing: A selfie.
>>
>>7954187
>abusing language this egregiously
can you leave?
>>
>>7954167
fuck off rato
>>
File: :lit: captcha.png (70 KB, 604x120) Image search: [Google]
:lit: captcha.png
70 KB, 604x120
>>7954254
>tfw very few times I have seen people reading in public and most of the ones I did see were women reading 50 shades of grey
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.