[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some patrician publishers, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
What are some patrician publishers, /lit/?
>>
I like anything Oxford or Cambridge presses because they're prestigious. Escpecially weird texts, like on magic or Satanism, western esotercism. The weird combined with scholarly is my favorite.
>>
Loeb, Norton (Critical Edition), Vintage, NYRB, Hackett, Oxford, Cambridge, SUNY Press, Clarendon
>>
>>7939123
everymans, dalkey, nyrb, modern i guess. I really like penguin but i wouldnt call them 'patrician'
>>
>>7939165
Nah, Penguin isn't patrician, but damn if I don't love what they put out.
>>
>>7939145
SUNY Press is garbage.
>>
>>7939142
Anyone suggest other scholarly publishers who produce texts with weird subject matter?
>>
>>7939237
Probably others university presses.
>>
>>7939123
Loeb
NYRB
Modern Library toeing the line

PS The total lack of Loebs in the bookshelf threads is disappointing as fuck.
>>
>>7939123
Aside from adding the text in original latin or greek, loeb translations are in most cases pleb tier.
>>
>>7939442
The very idea of reading a translation is pleb-tier.
>>
LoA
>>
>>7939123
Wordsworth
>>
>>7939145
some vintages are shit but generally their pretty good
NYRB is based
>>
>>7939462
What's so good about NYRB? I see a lot of praise for them. I own NYRB Stoner.
>>
>>7939476
publish a lot of edgelord books
>>
>>7939123
FSG publishes a lot of poets i like and also a lot of marketable writers i dont like, but the poetry outweighs the chaff
>>
Viking due to pure scale and new directions because of emphasis on emerging writers.
>>
>>7939237
90% certain that if a university that isn't Oxbridge has an established press, they will (also) be publishing niche or 'weird' stuff, and if not, then a good bet will be museum presses or publishers that in some way have ties to museums.
>>
>>7939432
Probably because Loebs are expensive my man. Are there any cheaper Ancient Greek texts out there?
>>
>>7939976
If you can't afford Loebs, you can't afford to study Classics. Only the wealthy can get by without employment prospects.
>>
>>7940022
Are you implying you need to be doing a degree in the classics to learn Ancient Greek?
>>
No love for Pushkin Press or Twisted Spoon here?
>>
Dover Thrift is the only patrician publisher
>>
>>7940026
They're freely downloadable here: http://www.edonnelly.com/loebs.html
>>
I own a shit load of Cambridge University Press because I get 20% discount as an alumnus. Princeton University Press is my other favourite publisher, because they have an excellent range of texts in the history of ideas.
>>
File: pure kino.jpg (21 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
pure kino.jpg
21 KB, 300x470
no contest
>>
classics in Hungarian, from the 70s
>>
Modern library, but only from before the 1950s
>>
File: 1459135550934.jpg (153 KB, 515x700) Image search: [Google]
1459135550934.jpg
153 KB, 515x700
Harper.
>>
>>7940098
ah yes, just as Bulgakov described
>>
>>7940098
>tfw can only find this edition for like $30

Fuck, should I just get a cheaper copy and get this version if I like the novel?
>>
>>7939237
Manuzio editore
Sometimes also Garamond
>>
aldines only
>>
File: danielvo-blog-reclam-heftchen.jpg (123 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
danielvo-blog-reclam-heftchen.jpg
123 KB, 1024x1024
>>7939123
Reclam
>>
>>7939432
I have Loeb on my bookshelf but haven't posted pics yet.
>>
>>7941215
I'm actually in the same boat. Which Loebs do you have?
>>
Does there exist any cheaper alternatives to loeb for texts in latin?
>>
>>7941239
>>7941215
Do you guys even read ancient Greek/Latin or just buy them because of aesthetics and prestige?
>>
>>7941265
In print? No. You can get an occasional dual language text from Oxford or Penguin, but that's usually for content that's so short that they need page fillers.

>>7941266
I can't read either ancient language, but I buy Loebs because they publish content that doesn't exist anywhere else in English. Penguin and Oxford are my go-to publishers as often as possible, and stuff like Caesar, Greek drama, and Virgil are easy to get. But there are plenty of lesser known texts which are either chopped up and only offered in part (e.g., Polybius is published by Oxford, but only 7 out of 40 books), or just don't exist at all outside of Loeb.

If you go deeper into the ancient world than just starting with the Greeks, you have no choice but to use Loeb.
>>
>>7941215
please post pics
>>
Verso, Sequence, Urbanomic, Punctum, Vienna Film Museum, Minnesota Press, Chicago Press, Caboose
>>
>>7940041
goddamn i hate those
>>
>>7939446
no. translations can help with ancient texts. one sometimes has to deal with extremly sophisticated writers and it would just be a waste of time to try to solve completely alone some crazy assed sentences. you may not agree with a certain translation but a decent one can help orient you through a text.
>>
Gaskun
>>
>>7939123

Faber and Faber, I'd say.

Definitely Société de l'édition "Les Belles Lettres" (a. k. a., "Budé"): they produce a series of bilingual editions of Greek and Latin classics, like the Loebs, but with much more extensive scholarly apparatus.

>>7939237

EJ Brill - Dutch commercial scholarly publisher with quite high production values, and prices to match.

>>7939123
>Oxford, ... , Clarendon

Clarendon Press is an Oxford University Press imprint.
>>
>>7941265

Not in print, I don't think. But for ancient Latin texts, do bookmark the PHI site - this used to be a CD-based database for offline use, but is now free online for non-commercial use, and has good searching options:

http://latin.packhum.org/index
>>
>>7941266

I can read Latin acceptably, and Greek with aids, but Loebs are relatively cheap and durable original texts, their scholarly quality has increased, and they include many texts hard to find elsewhere in translation.
>>
>>7941291

This.
>>
>>7939453
Kek
>>
>>7939123
nah
>>
>>7941210
Undisputed
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.