[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's his problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: ALAN-MOORE.jpg (327 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
ALAN-MOORE.jpg
327 KB, 1200x800
I just don't get this guys at all.
>>
>>7920508
Too much LSD and weed.
>>
hes british and got scammed hard
>>
>>7920508
I don't really know who this is, but his physiognomy indicates that he's likely addicted to masturbation and cannabis.
>>
>>7920511
>got scammed
What do you mean sir? Explain yourself.
>>
File: cuctus.png (4 KB, 206x85) Image search: [Google]
cuctus.png
4 KB, 206x85
I liked him in the Beatles. Wish he hadn't faked his own death. Yoko was a real pain though I hear.
>>
>>7920508
Muh deconstruction of tropes
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>7920508
Looks like a nice guy
>>
Why don't you ask /co/?
>>
>>7920508
I don't think he really has a "problem", he's just a bit weird and likes fucking with people.
>>
>>7920515
literally me .
>>
>>7920641
He seem to be very mystical and into deep black magik. HP Lovecraft type shit.
>>
>>7920518
He signed a contract with DC saying that he would be given the rights over his work once DC stopped printing his books.

This was a common contract that nearly everyone in the business had as comics were not exactly the market in the early 80s as they are today. However Watchmen took off and DC has never let it slip out of print thanks to its notoriety so it never transferred back into Moore's control.
>>
>>7920508
He's just disappointed that comics never grew beyond Superheroes and that the medium still follows through the same steps without innovating new ideas both in written and artistic form.
>>
>>7920508
He won't stop droning on about Free Software
>>
Have you read Fossil Angels?
>>
>>7921046
Is it about Marjorie Cameron? Tell me more.
>>
File: 1460520890312.jpg (42 KB, 485x236) Image search: [Google]
1460520890312.jpg
42 KB, 485x236
he fell into a black hole now he is meaningless to all dimensions and planes of existence. he I s only to be a muse at best. he is lost in time and space. wishing only to be spaced.
>>
>>7921022

Seriously the potential for comic books as a medium is literally infinite but 90% of the market is capeshit and 9% are essentially pitches for high concept science fiction movies. Imagine if the only novels that ever got published were detective novels and anyone who said that detective novels had gotten stale and that the material published needed to diversify was called bitter and accused of not liking detective novels because they were insecure about what other people thought of detective novels. This metaphor has gotten super unwieldy but the main point is capeshit needs to die.
>>
I heard this guy was the shakespeare of comics
>>
>>7921099
What do you think of European comics or manga?
>>
>>7921154
The dialogue in Watchmen is /lit/erature
>>
>>7921275
Shitting on /lit/ is par for the course, but let's not get carried away.
>>
>>7921099
Comics are just smaller, though.

I mean, 90% of what gets published IS crime/romance/genre fiction. The literary scene is tiny and very few people make good money at it.

There are *literary* comics (Fun Home, Maus, for example), just not very many of them.
>>
File: voice in the fire.jpg (206 KB, 845x1313) Image search: [Google]
voice in the fire.jpg
206 KB, 845x1313
Has anybody read this?

I heard that it's an unreadable mess, and that he was trying to ape Pinecone.
>>
>>7920508
He's basically a reincarnation of Merlin.
>>
>>7920508
Watchmen is only graphic novel that has any right being called "literature." No other book in the format has yet to come close.
>>
>>7921401

Maybe in the anglo-american scene, the French have been doing graphic novels for far longer than Vertigo.
>>
>>7921408
Too bad they're French.lmao. zingzing ;)
>>
>>7921387
The way the first chapter is written will make all plebs skitter out of the woodwork, but there's a point to it. Rest of it is very readable.

>and that he was trying to ape Pinecone.
It's despairingly obvious that this is something only people who've never read Pinecone would say upon finding him directly referenced there (in V, was it? but at the end of this book too, I think). Not that Moore isn't fond of aping styles.
>>
>>7920508
Solipsism

Special snowflake syndrome

Graphix novelism

Marxism
>>
Jerusalem is next big literary masterpiece.
>>
>>7921019
Wow! I did not know about this. I got fucked hard by DC.
>>
I like his comics and short stories. Looking forward to Jerusalem, which apparently is over a thousand pages long. That will be a fun read. His poems/songs are also pretty good:

Symmetry becomes it.
Come to ruin our impending feast,
a presence that nourishes suffering.
All things below voice his burning name.
His turmoil offers only truth in which longer moments live.
Let consciousness recapture the flicker it saw then.
Torch our continuity of thought
now until that mind evaporates.
Lust after shadows in us,
rend that lace of promises broken and white lies,
regard our love of wreckage,
the way our heads thunder approaching that warning pulse
and temple of throbbing light that is Asmodeus.

Asmodeus is that light throbbing of temple and pulse
warning that approaching thunder heads our way.
the wreckage of love,
our regard lies white and broken,
promises of lace that rend us
in shadow, after lust evaporates.
Mind that until now thought of continuity,
our torch, then saw it flicker.
The recapture, consciousness let live moments longer,
which, in truth, only offers turmoil.
His name burning, his voice below things.
All suffering nourishes that presence.
A feast impending. Our ruin to come.
It becomes symmetry.
>>
>>7921387
>In the tradition of Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill, Schwob's Imaginary Lives and Borges' A Universal History of Infamy, Moore travels through history blending truth and conjecture, in a novel that is dazzling, moving, sometimes tragic, but always mesmerizing.
>>
>>7920508
At least he's not Talbot.
>>
>>7921401
watchmen is just deconstructed capeshit.
>>
He's a lunatic, simple as.

And he writes comics so expect nothing profound like Infinite Meme or Finnegan's Meme.
>>
>>7920606
Tell em steve dave
>>
He's only really good at updating ideas from his own childhoid. And hes a witch. And he hates all comics that he did not write. And he hates everyone.
>>
>>7924110
Reductionism is just reductionism.
>>
>>7924307
He likes Garth Ennis
>>
>>7920508
he wrote a capeshit comic while bitching about capeshit comics. he's like a twelve year old boy who cries about the spawns in call of duty but plays the game every chance he gets.
>>
File: 02_02_IFM9mD5.jpg (436 KB, 1143x1600) Image search: [Google]
02_02_IFM9mD5.jpg
436 KB, 1143x1600
>>7920508
He is not an american.
>>
File: 04_04_wJV9zdx.jpg (491 KB, 1143x1600) Image search: [Google]
04_04_wJV9zdx.jpg
491 KB, 1143x1600
>>7921099
>needs to die
>needs
>die
You must be a fun guy at parties.
>>
>>7924307
Give him a break man he's from Northampton, I'd be a hobo wizard misanthrope if I was raised there
>>
>>7921387
I really enjoyed it. As >>7921630 mentions the first chapter is a bit of a struggle at first, but purposefully so, and is still fun once you get the hang of the odd syntax. The rest is just a really enjoyable and interesting read.

I've not read any Pynchon so can't really comment on that. I would definitely recommend giving it a go though, I thought it was great.

Really looking forward to Jerusalem, I imagine it's going to be absolutely batshit.
>>
>>7924998
I bet everyone who uses the "you must be fun at parties" meme are actually the least fun people at parties
>>
>>7920508
he wrote a good strip about gods in a God is Dead comic. pretty fun read about how the snake god he pretends to worship is the best god of all. lol. dude is goofy but fun. and his comics work is also entertaining.
>>
>>7920628
Not OP but go on /co/ and try and get some genuine discussion regarding graphic novels. /co/ exclusively talks about capeshit and Stephen Universe. /lit/ genuinely has more worthwhile discussion regarding graphic novels, even if they should remain on /co/.
>>
>>7921414
hahaha BAZINGA
>>
>>7924988
I don't think you read Watchmen, anon.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.