[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's Stephen King's best book and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
What's Stephen King's best book and why?
>>
Dude, i was looking for some rad 80s movies to torrent for a nostalgia session and i realized that dude has had more movies made of his shit than mother fucking philip k dick and ya'll like dick so why u don't like king? shit he didn't even die yet either, living legend status, dfw will be forgotten, angsty tennis is not going to matter in the future, but spooky tales are timeless
>>
How long has it been since king wrote a decent book?
>>
>>7907955
I don't think /lit cares for movies. I don't mind King, I liked his weird western The Dark Tower up until Book 5.
>>
He has no good books.
>>
>>7907960
i don't care about movies either i'm just sayin yo that dude got mad movies made mother fucker is prolific as shit, but to be honest i only read two books of his one was tommyknockers in the summer vacation between 4th and 5th grade, it was kind of ok, but like when ur in 4th grade u don't really have any sense of literariness so it was probably ass, and then like i read some other shitty one at the end of the 90s only because i was stuck in a plebby scene and nothing else to read, it was like a female version of misery but not good gerald's game or something
>>
yo anyone know whatever happened to Peter Straub? was he even like a real guy or just like a pen name of some hired gun
>>
>>7907984
Pretty sure he was another Richard Bachman.
>>
>>7908003
oh shit it turns out he's a real dude and he still writes tons of shit, forgot about this one, my sister or my mom or somebody had a copy of this floating around the house but i didn't read it, maybe ill read it for a nostalgia trip
>>
>>7908012
damn after a quick skim of dudes wikipedia he's like hipster stephen king, dude writes mad books and wins all these horror and scifi awards n shit but most ppl never heard of him, i just remember he did the talisman with king which was like kind of famous in the 80s
>>
>>7908003
He's still around, and no, he's an actual person unlike King's pseudonym Bachman.
>>
File: 1455801447387.jpg (45 KB, 570x487) Image search: [Google]
1455801447387.jpg
45 KB, 570x487
>>7908022
>>7908012
>taking the bait
>>
>>7907944
I read The Talisman when I was 17 and I loved it. Hell i still love it and I have no idea why.
>>
>>7908012
Is this the one about the Viet Nam war? Also, Ghost Story was made into a fairly well-known movie in the early 80s.
>>
>>7908034
no but don't u think it's weird that they did a successful collabo on a fucking novel? like that goes against the whole "genius writer" meme of like some brilliant dude in a cabin doing brilliant things against the grain of the pleb world...
>>
>>7908040
>Cast: Fred Astaire

wat
>>
>>7908050
It's not like King isn't a pleb writer...can't they do it for fun? The did a second collaboration in the '00s, whether a sequel to the Talisman or something new, I'm uncertain.
>>
Desperation had my imagination going off the charts. I can imagine Room 1408 would as well although I haven't read it. Forgot the name of the book that literally made me stop reading Stephen King as the entire book was about a cabin in the woods and a writer wanting to fuck his dead wife or some shit like that.
>>
The Talisman
Salem's Lot
IT

IT and Salem's Lot get a lot of points for being two of the few with actual decent endings.
>>
I get why people hate King, but I've read a few of his books and can comfortably say that I can enjoy his books. I personally enjoyed The Shining a lot, and It was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend It to anybody because there are parts that are very, very tedious. But Jack Torrance in The Shining is one of my favorite characters, and his constant struggle mentally is great.
>>
The Stand
>>
>>7907944
Carrie because he actually worked on it instead of shitting it out as fast as possible like everything else he's written.
>>
>>7908219
I liked King when I was sitting around in libraries in my early 20s, pissing the time away. But after reading a few of his books you start to realize they're either all the same exact shit or just not good.

He's a serviceable gateway author but at some point you either move on from him and his ilk or just read the same 2-3 books over and over again for the rest of your life.
>>
>>7908239
It ended up in the trash initially though, his wife persuaded him to publish it.
>>
>>7908247
Or you could just read his books as part of wider reading across many genres and styles.

Stop being a hipster cunt, anon.
>>
>>7908248
Debut books are always a touchy subject. I've read enough of his shit to say that it was better than the rest.
>>
>>7908260
How is getting bored of someone's stylistic bankrupcy after reading loads of their shit being a hipster?

Stop being a retarded faggot, anon.
>>
>>7908272
It's the way you say it, anon. You're a bit of a bellend.
>>
File: Bachman,_Long_Walk.jpg (19 KB, 220x332) Image search: [Google]
Bachman,_Long_Walk.jpg
19 KB, 220x332
I read this as a child and while it was quite graphic, I still thoroughly enjoyed its dystopian setting and unique survival game premise.
>Bachman was a pseudonym
>>
>>7908299
If you're going to sperg out because of certain turns of phrase, 4chan might not be the best place for you, autismotron.
>>
>>7908308
is that the shit Running Man was based on? that's credited as a Stephen King movie, but I was like where did it come from
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 366x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 366x334
>>7908328
It's nothing to do with a turn of phrase you complete spastic. It's every single word of your post. Your "I'm better than you because I think King is shit" attitude.

Call me a sperg if it makes you feel like less of the insufferable arsehole that you are.

I bet your friends talk about you when you're not there.
>>
gay wad
>>
>>7908337
I'd rather be an insufferable asshole than someone who who gets this anally devastated over being told that Stephen King isn't good by some random guy on 4chan.
>>
He's not a good writer and all of his books made me feel like I was dumber after reading them, but best is The Gunslinger.

The Stand is trash.
>>
>>7908395
The Gunslinger was a bit dry imo.
>>
>>7908409
If a bit dry is the worst you can say about a King novel then it's definitely his best.
>>
>>7908395
Carrie was better because The Gunslinger was always going to be the first part of an insufferably long "epic".
>>
>>7908370
BUTTBLASTED
>>
>>7907955
>>7907978
Why do you talk like that?
>>
>>7908475
it's just how i talk yo i was born that way baby
>>
>>7908475
He has a brain tumor that impairs his motor functions.
>>
>>7908475
He read too much Stephen King
>>
>>7908534
King be cry.
>>
The shining because it inspired Kubrick

the actual book is shit
>>
>>7908475
It's how all the plebs talk these days.
>>
>>7908567
i'm a man of the ppl what can i say
>>
>read It
>epic about growing up in a new england town in the 50's with supernatural elements
>ending goes full retard
>>
File: king (3).jpg (4 KB, 102x160) Image search: [Google]
king (3).jpg
4 KB, 102x160
>>7907944
This is my favorite King book. I cried.

I'm writer.
>>
>>7908204
IT's ending was the worst part of it; it started fine but progessively got worse and worse.
>>
Carrie, I havent read any Steven King books but I have a good feeling about it
>>
>>7908787
i find most pleb books go this way. it's cuz in the beginning ur imagining everything is foreshadowing some dank theme that's gonna emerge later or something, but then as you go through it u start to realize there were no themes it was just a suspense plot with some gore at the end

first season of true detective did this to me, when it start i was imagining all this crazy shit that was going to develop but then every episode narrowed down all the amazing things that were happening until finally it was just kind of bad
>>
File: half_baked.gif (929 KB, 230x138) Image search: [Google]
half_baked.gif
929 KB, 230x138
>>7907944
I just listen to the audiobook of 11/22/63 at work this week. I feel like I missed a couple of hours (out of 31), but still didn't miss any of the plot. It was awful.
>>
File: banda.jpg (161 KB, 980x470) Image search: [Google]
banda.jpg
161 KB, 980x470
>>7907944
I like the Dark Tower series
>>
Misery is genuinely great
>>
>>7907944
look at that wicked cokehead
>>
>>7907944

On Writing
because it's genuinely quite good advice, along with a compelling CV/memoir
>>
He writer
>>
>>7909229
This book has no advice aside from "put your desk in a corner", "Strunk + White", "have a sycophant you know in mind to write for", "wait a few weeks before editing", and "don't bother planning, outlining, or researching n' just put on the Rolling Stones and write my dude xD"

The rest is King's admittedly entertaining life story, but holy shit, how does he get away with rambling about his life for 90% of a writing guide?
>>
>>7909082
It reminds me of a certain show about cartoon horses in that it starts out with a tremendously promising fantasy world and then slowly bungles it until it's intolerable.
>>
>>7908923
Yeah, this is exactly what I thought of It; had great build-up and all but the ending was just incredibly lackluster. Also that part where they all fucked Beverely - Seriously, what the fuck? - was the cherry on the top of it all.
>>
File: 1460089593707.jpg (2 MB, 1677x2221) Image search: [Google]
1460089593707.jpg
2 MB, 1677x2221
Dreamcatcher was pretty enjoyable
Everything's Eventual was good too
The Gingerbread Girl was also a good short story, as well as Batman and Robin Have an Altercation
>>
File: 1460090336401.jpg (3 MB, 1690x2240) Image search: [Google]
1460090336401.jpg
3 MB, 1690x2240
>>7909836
And this would be page 2, now that I think about it the Girl who loved Tom Gordon was alright too
>>
File: 1460090686994.jpg (2 MB, 1582x2266) Image search: [Google]
1460090686994.jpg
2 MB, 1582x2266
>>7909840
I read Cell as a kid and it wasn't that great, besides that I've never gotten too deep into his books, but have always respected his success.
Unlike someone like, James Patterson, who gets completely unreadable pretty fast
>>
File: 1460090884656.jpg (2 MB, 1459x1971) Image search: [Google]
1460090884656.jpg
2 MB, 1459x1971
>>7909843
I can second On Writing, it gets a little annoying how he just goes on about his life, but it is marketed as a Memoir so what can you do
He doesn't have an excuse for what happened s when he speaks at universites to give writing advice and just goes on and on about his life though, I suppose it might just be the attitude of "what works for me won't work for everybody, and if you're going to do it you're going to do it regardless."
>>
>>7908640
(sorry)
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.