[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This summer will be my last Academic Summer, the last prolonged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1992-sun_1614462i.jpg (88 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
1992-sun_1614462i.jpg
88 KB, 620x620
This summer will be my last Academic Summer, the last prolonged period in which I will have no work or education related obligations to impede my autodidacticism (at leas for the foreseeable future). At the age of 21 I see that even six years of solid self-learning has been insufficient to make me even half as erudite as I thought I'd be at this age. I want to use this time wisely and have decided to focus on reading up hard on one particular subject for the two months I will have.

I've whittled down possible subjects for self-study to:

- Plato & Aristotle
- Christian Theology
- Modern Japanese Literature
- British History
- Classical Music

Which of these do you think I should choose, and why?

[Picture Unrelated]
>>
>>7896867
what is your goal exactly? why concerned about the timeline?
>>
You're a dilettante. You don't have an outstanding interest in any subject, but to associate yourself with them produces in you the feeling that you're gaining the benefits of pursuing them.
>>
>>7896877

To explore my interest in these subjects, hopefully gaining an understanding and insight that surpasses my currently lacklustre grasp of each.
>>
>>7896897

That's incredibly perceptive. If only there was a board for psychology - called /psy/, let us imagine - where people could infer the underlying motives of other posters from the posts they make, you'd really be in your element, maaan.
>>
>>7896867
Hmm. Theae are all very, very different subjects. What compelled you to come up with these?
>>
>>7896928
He's right lol. Your passive aggressiveness and sarcasm just shows how insecure you are about all this.
>>
>>7896867
1. Plato & Aristotle
2. British History
3. Christian Theology

>>7896897
is correct, don't fight it, it's true for a lot of us
>>
>>7896867
>- Plato & Aristotle
Read The Republic and Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics & Politics and decide which you prefer. Then study that one in detail rather than trying to master both over one summer. These are deep and wide-ranging thinkers.

>- British History
What do you mean by this? I took firsts in twentieth century British political and economic history at Cambridge. I know a fair bit about early modern Britain too (although it pales in comparison to my knowledge of the early modern history of the European mainland), but I know next to nothing about the eighteenth century or medieval times. Trying to master the history of a region - especially one with as sophisticated and well-studied an historiography as Britain - is a fool's errand.
>>
>>7896867
Go for general history or broad societal knowledge. So much more useful than Plato & Aristotle (unless, of course, you wish to use them to understand all of philosophy that came afterward), or Japanese Literature.
Or Music Theory, which is always nice if you play an instrument or wish to appreciate music better.
>>
Christian theology

make a strawpoll
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.