[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this man? Overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: notthatgreat.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
notthatgreat.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
Thoughts on this man? Overrated?
>>
No, he's a genius. Haven't read a single word by him, but he's the finest author alive.
>>
I bought The Tunnel when it was published. 20 years later I still live at home and haven't finished it yet.
>>
>>7896836
He is the greatest American writer to ever live--Gaddis, McElroy, and Hawkes following not too far behind--and, regardless of what a few dummies on /lit/ think, he will be remembered for as long as literature is alive.
>>
>>7896919
I can't even tell who's the real gassposter and who's just meming and filling shitposts with --s
>>
>>7896955
It's who you are replying to--me--the gassposter--and, though I wear so many masks that it may seem I am another one of the many--faceless, forgettable, really fucking gay--I'll always be here, with you, anon, writing dumb and overwrought posts like this one.
>>
>>7896836
I wish I could be his bitch-boy. He could fuck me while reciting Rilke.
>>
>>7896992
Gassposter, can we get your top picks? Both Gass and non-Gass. Curious as to your favorite essays by the great man
>>
>>7896836
he's fucking meme. It's the vocal minority that makes it seem like hes our favorite. The biggest try hard ever. doesnt deserve to be mentioned along with gaddis.

>>7896919
McElroy is a hack. Hawkes is nice. But neither are as good as Melville or Twain. Post modernism damn near ruined literature.
>>
>>7897413
Yes I realize that. I was having fun with the Gassposter.

his essays are great though mate check em out, a slew of em hit libgen recently
>>
>>7897413
Feel free to feel what you want about Gass, but I feel you should know two things: one, Gaddis, who was Gass' lifelong friend, deeply respected him; and, two, unless you were to define postmodernism as a collection of literary techniques foregrounded in the past, Gass isn't a postmodern writer; he writes, as he calls it, decayed modern, which, if you read enough of him to understand his ideas, makes sense.
>>7897399
I'll probably make a picture at some point, but unlike the one by Fatherdubs, half of it won't be completely made up.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.