[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello all, I want to get into apocalyptic books and such. Ideally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 542418.jpg (4 MB, 5120x2880) Image search: [Google]
542418.jpg
4 MB, 5120x2880
Hello all, I want to get into apocalyptic books and such. Ideally without any zombies. I've been thinking of starting with either Earth Abides or The Dog Stars, would any of you have suggestions?

Pic more or less related
>>
>>7896485
>wants to "get into" apocalyptic books
>willing to give up some non-trivial fraction of his finite life to read contrived 2spooky4u lit
c'mon anon, it's 2016. have you read the greeks?
>>
>>7896485
Here's what on the syllabus for the class I'm teaching on the subject come autumn:

Last Man by Mary Shelley
After London by Richard Jeffries
Endgame by Beckett
Return Journey to Swansea by Dylan Thomas
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

You could also look up:
Oryx and Crake (trilogy) by Margaret Atwood
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel
Lucifer's Hammer by some guy
Canticle for Leibowitz by some other guy
>>
>>7896492
>After London

Please, fellate me.
>>
Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban is the GOAT apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic novel
>>
>>7896488
I have The Iliad, Odyssey and another one at home and will definitely read them soon
>>7896492
Thanks a lot
>>
>>7896498
Um... alright then. C'mere, big boy.
>>
>>7896530
>slurping sounds and moaning. Occasional gagging
>>
>>7896538
>o god! I'm going to....
>>
>>7896542
>coughing and spitting out
>>
>>7896498
>>7896530
>>7896538
>>7896542
>>7896545
Get out
>>
>>7896545
>brushing teeth
Never again, just because he liked a book I like.
>quietly crying
>>
>>7896485
Why do people hate on McCarthy's The Road? It's so beautiful but it also makes me feel the worst I have ever felt when reading.
>>
Try Hater and its sequels, it's hilarious. Basically a percentage of the population has a genetic offshoot heritage that activates and makes them start maniacanly and compulsively attack and kill people, and the teest is that the Haters are doing it because they perceive the rest of the people wants to destroy THEM and that the normal people are the haters
>>
>>7896555
My guess is because it's popular and McCarthy got interviewed by Oprah. /lit/'s a bit dumb that way.
>>
>>7896555
Mediocre prose, bland characters, generally being generic as fuck
>>
>>7896559
"Anything that can appeal to the many cannot be complex enough to appeal to the most intelligent of us."
-Albert Einstein
>>
>>7896556
That sounds insane, I like it
>>
>>7896555
I saw the movie as a kid, very good, made me cry
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.