[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
What did you guys think of this book?
Are the philosphical speculations of any worth?
Does it perhaps correspond a bit to anarchism ( for those who have also read goldman, bakunin, proudhon etc) cause it feels like it would provoke thougts of materialism etc.
This all being said by someone who is thinking about buying it and really doesn’t know anything about it.
>>
I despise that book and anarchism so if you like the latter it's possible that you'd like the former.
>>
It's to motorcycle maintenance what Moby Dick is to whale biology.
If you're looking for the Zen, it's like reading trough the entire phone book in order to find one name.
>>
>>7894996
Yeah I’m just 20 years old and am in sort a rebellious face where I kinda want to just live that starving artist lifestyle not caring about possessions etc - but will probably end up a corporate lawyer though - I just really wana enjoy this face while it lasts and try make the most of it you know
>>
>>7895006
>I kinda want to just live that starving artist lifestyle not caring about possessions
I recommend moving to Somalia for the most authentic experience
>>
>>7895008
Why even bother with a response that you know has nothing to do with what I’m asking just to piss me off?
>>
>>7895006

I'm pretty certain you are trolling but saying "face" instead of "phase" is mildly irking my dick hole. If nobody has ever told you, I am now
>>
>>7895011
Fuck you nigger
>>
>>7894993
>What did you guys think of this book?
It's garbage.

>Are the philosphical speculations of any worth?
No.

>Does it perhaps correspond a bit to anarchism ( for those who have also read goldman, bakunin, proudhon etc) cause it feels like it would provoke thougts of materialism etc.
No.

>This all being said by someone who is thinking about buying it and really doesn’t know anything about it.
Clearly.
>>
>>7895006
Kill yourself before it's too late.
>>
>>7895014
shit I’m really ouut of it, felt really weird writing it that way but I couldn’t remeber the other way lole, sry if I hurt your eyes, hope they heal good.
>>
>>7895024
first time i have ever agreed with such a terrible response on 4chan. don't into Pirsig. he's a fucking trash mechanic and a worse """""""philosopher"""""""
>>
>>7895104
Is the book actually about the mechanics of a motorcycle?
Is it not a philosophical novel?
>>
>>7895112
You could have read like 50 pages of it by now and decided for yourself. I rarely say this but you made the right choice spending that time on 4chan instead.
>>
>>7895011
How is your first week on 4chan? Are you enjoying it? Would you recommend it to a friend? Please submit all feedback here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/books
>>
I'm actually reading this right now, just because it was such a huge book in the 1970s. It's very of its time, but it's interesting to see what the culture responded to in such a big way at the time. It's not badly-written.

At one point I think Doug Kenney was going to write the screenplay version.
>>
>>7895134

That place is reading for the average non-reader. Fuckers don't even read, they just listen to audio books and say they "read"
>>
>>7895171
I take it from your response that you are not enjoying the chan. Though we apologize for not being able to meet your socializing needs, we are happy to give recommendations for other locations on the world wide web where you might feel at home. We have already mentioned the premier literature discussion website, r/books. If that is not to your liking, consider http://www.goodreads.com. They have plenty of nice and fabulous users willing to be nice to you and suck you off for having read books like 1984 and The Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. If that still does not suit your needs, consider your local preschool, where the chromotographical merit of the novel Green Eggs and Ham is likely to be discussed at length.

Hopefully these suggestions will be of use to you. Enjoy your time on The ~~INTERNET~~.
>>
>>7895190

I was talking about reddit retard, how did that even come close to sounding like this board
>>
>>7895011
Because u r a fag
>>
>>7895244
u r dumb
>>
File: image.png (507 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
507 KB, 600x600
>>7894993
No matter what anybody on here says I love the book personally.

It's a fun read for entry level philosophy and over all well written. The "story" if you will is a pretty obscure narrative for the time. Seriously. Not many other books from the 70s have the loosey goosey feel this does. Plus it works well with the story

>inb4 the only reason it's one of a kind is because it sucks ass

The only part I didnt like was when he lays out line for line the scientific method. That chapter has aged like milk. That being said it made sense in the story and I wouldn't take it out as there are a few other little things to note in that chapter.

"But the motorcycle information is stupid! Also I love sucking fat wart cock" - average pleb on this board

If you're looking for a complex nose dive into the literary deep end of the philosophy swimming pool. Not the book for you.

If you're looking for a fun read that throws a few interesting thoughts in your head I would check it out.

Most of these shit fucks on this board havnt even read it anyways so don't listen to them. They jump to "oh it's fucking dumb bruh" level instantly. I could say the same thing about their shit tier books.

>I dare you to post a photo of your bookshelf.

Maybe they should put down there 1374 papyrus copy of how to suck their own pussy and invest some time into the meme tier books. There is a reason they have sold millions of copies.

alright lay it on me fuckers. I'm ready for whatever stupid fucking reason "you're obviously right"
>>
>>7896424
I thought it was about motorcycle maintenance so I had no real interest.
>>
>>7894993
The philosophical aspects are fine, if you are into that kind of thing. Treat it as an into of sorts rather than a solid piece of work

Also I found the plot boring

But overall glad I read it
>>
>>7896448
I simply avoid walking under the bridge
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.