[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /lit/ deal with living with non-literary roommates?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
How does /lit/ deal with living with non-literary roommates?

I'd like to find someone who can enjoy classical, art, and philosophy to a similar degree, but as a student, most of my friends are too broke to get a place together, and we're all subjected to worse conditions.

Maybe share some bad experiences for entertainment?
>>
Everyone in university is a hipster cunt and makes for awful roommates
>>
>>7894995
I haven't gotten that far, I'm still an undergraduate studying at a JC. It's a completely different experience when you've got one foot in academia and the other in "the real world". It's made me far more moderate than liberal and fairly cynical of humankind. Most people capitalize by exploiting students in my condition and I do shit work for little pay.
>>
>>7894995
Do you have stories?
>>
>>7894990
Is that your sole criteria for judging others? Far as roommates go, there are about 500 things I'd put ahead of literacy. Besides, why look to your roommate for entertainment? The best roommate is one that's barely noticeable.
>>
File: 1458080596421.jpg (43 KB, 358x342) Image search: [Google]
1458080596421.jpg
43 KB, 358x342
>>7894995

Wouldn't they be easy to deal with?

Hipsters pretend to love culture but they hate actually working for it. You could sit in front of them and quietly read all day knowing that they'd be secretly resentful and conflicted over their comparative intellectual inadequacy alongside their inability to shit on you for pursuing the kind of love for art that they try to lazily feign respect for.

You can beat hipsters at their own game by letting your reading habits speak for you; it's literally that easy.
>>
>>7894990
>not being able to get along with a variety of people
shig
>>
Roommates are some jocks I went to high school. Ones cool as shit and based and ones an asshole who I feel bad for cause he socially retarded and is a Virgin
>>
>>7894990
You're a dipshit OP. My roommate hasn't read a book in 5 years. We get along great. Surrounding yourself with people who are exactly like you is a great way to never learn anything.
>>
>>7895129

>Surrounding yourself with people who are exactly like you is a great way to never learn anything.

Good point. Plus things can always turn weirdly competitive with people. Having everyone into the same intellectual pursuits might bring you more passive aggression and drama in the long run than being with cheerful normies.
>>
>>7895129
>Surrounding yourself with people who are exactly like you is a great way to never learn anything.
This is why I only talk to and read extreme Reactionaries now
>>
>>7895140
Exactly. People into the same intellectual pursuits always get into dick waving contests about who knows more about what. See >>>/lit/

Rather we have overlapping non-intellectual interests (music, food, beer, gossip) than intellectual ones (him: technical accounting, identity politics, social activism; me: literature, mathematics, computer programming)
>>
>>7895144

lmao
>>
>>7894990
I email mine poems every day against their will in order to impose culture. I also get belligerently drunk and declaim them at full volume in the living room, bar, wherever. They'll learn to appreciate the finer things and they'll like it.
>>
>>7895105
That's actually a great point. Lots of people can easily get wikipedia tier knowledge of a broad stroke of art, lit, history, whatever, but that's almost laughably easy to tear apart. You can always tell when someone's bushitting about something for which they read mere bullet points, because every response of yours can start with "well, not exactly..."

Few people really put in the time.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.