[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for literature about the discussion of Christianity's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 605christianity.gif (6 KB, 300x547) Image search: [Google]
605christianity.gif
6 KB, 300x547
Looking for literature about the discussion of Christianity's influence on western civilization, dating back to Christ to present day. Want some unbiased stuff, but ultimately I'm looking to build or destroy the argument that Christianity was necessary for the prosperity and superiority of the West.
>>
>Want some unbiased stuff
good luck with that
>>
>>7893362
Europe and Faith by Hilaire Belloc
>>
will also accept documentaries/ youtube videos :^)
>>
File: 994697.jpg (50 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
994697.jpg
50 KB, 312x475
Have been recommended pic related as well as philosopher by the name Arnold J. Toynbee. As always would appreciate /lit/'s thoughts
>>
>>7893369
right on the button, anon, thanks. sounds like a fascinating read
>>
>Want some unbiased stuff

And how will you recognize it when you see it?
>>
>>7893394
bio of author, reviews from more credible people than myself, and also just somewhat of my own judgement if the guy's bullshitting or not
>>
File: image.jpg (190 KB, 888x1120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190 KB, 888x1120
YFW you realise Christianity IS Western Civilisation
>>
>>7893768
convince me, anon! i want to believe! seriously what have you got
>>
File: 1450838670745.jpg (778 KB, 1904x1920) Image search: [Google]
1450838670745.jpg
778 KB, 1904x1920
>>7893362
>>
>>7893913
i'm sure those wouldnt hurt but would rather have something dedicated solely to the study of how the west is a product of Christianity (or not)
>>
>>7893921

Is Man above Law?
Where does that Law come from?
Upon what does it depend?
>>
>>7893362
Recently read Pagans by James O'Donell. Interesting stuff about how Christianity displaced traditional polytheism in the Roman empire. Quick read, but pretty interesting.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22638154-pagans
>>
File: kierkegaard.png (122 KB, 739x523) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard.png
122 KB, 739x523
>>7893885
how about this, you propose an aspect of western civilization which you believe operates independently of Christianity and/or has no relationship to the Judeo-Christian tradition, then other people can point out for you how that is not in fact the case
>>
>>7893362
If you do research with a fixed idea of what you want to discover, you will invariably discover the evidence you seek. Try finding things that contradict your assumptions. You will learn more that way
>>
>>7893940
what are "questions that keep me up at night".
you're preaching to the choir here, anon.
>>
>>7893976
so youre suggesting i simply pick a side from the two and try my hardest to prove me wrong? huh maybe you got something there
>>
>>7894044

These questions have also influenced Western Civilisation.
>>
>>7893963
hmm... lemme ponder a bit, come back in 10
>>
>>7894054
ahh, i see your point.
>>
>>7893963
side question for you. If western civilization IS Christianity, just how dependent is it with the religion? Can the two survive apart from eachother?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.