[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do certain boards have such an emphasis on being seen as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1423346382110.jpg (44 KB, 286x429) Image search: [Google]
1423346382110.jpg
44 KB, 286x429
Why do certain boards have such an emphasis on being seen as intelligent or have their taste match/be approved by their peers on the same board?

It results in a lot of pandering and shit posting, why not enjoy books for books sake? Why shit on what edition is and not just direct them to what you think is a better edition and why?
>>
>>7893078
It's because a lot of the people on 4chan are insecure depressed introverts who have little to show for themselves and are deeply unhappy with who they are.
>>
because /lit/ is full of middlebrows lmao
>>
>>7893078
>being seen as
I think a lot of people are living with a focus on shaping how they are seen instead of how they are.
Does TV contribute to this approach to life? Do things like facebook contribute to this? Is it just the general social millyou? I don't know I have to read McLuhan first and think about it more.
As I see it though this does limit conversation a lot. People see this attitude and then self censor.
The underachievers said it best though: Fear and ego are the enemy.
>>
>>7893097
Yup. All the spergy social outcasts flock together here for acceptance and adhere to the hivemind so they can pretend they're "patrician" and laugh at the "normies" so they can try to claim superiority on some level.
>>
>>7893104
kek, it's spelled milieu bud.
>>
because this is the internet and i have to be right. also what >>7893097 said.

honestly, the vast amounts of ignorance i encounter on this board really isn't really much worse than what i encounter with any other hobby. at least people are reading, which will promote overall literacy and benefit me in the end.
>>
>>7893175
fell for the meme
>>
>>7893078
Why are you here instead of plebbit.com/r/literature?
>>
Because what's the point of even having a board dedicated to a subject if the level of the debate regarding that subject won't ever be raised past what you already get through any mainstream channel?

I don't understand this shit. Every time we manage to get a small community interested in things that aren't part of mass culture, people who enjoy mass culture feel threatened and try to destroy it, despite the fact that the industry itself, the media and all institutions that were meant to safeguard "high culture" have already succumbed to their preferences. Anything short of total victory is not good enough for them.
>>
>>7896079
go big or go home m8, quitters never prosper.
>>
>>7893104
millyou, you know it's like if you lived in a mill, it's what would he all around you...milling around...you: millyou.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.