[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Camus died on January 4, 1960 at the age of 46, in a car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: Cam moo.png (308 KB, 360x533) Image search: [Google]
Cam moo.png
308 KB, 360x533
>Camus died on January 4, 1960 at the age of 46, in a car accident near Sens, in Le Grand Fossard in the small town of Villeblevin. In his coat pocket was an unused train ticket. He had planned to travel by train with his wife and children, but at the last minute he accepted his publisher's proposal to travel with him
Positively absurd.
>>
>>7892030
Fuck off, pretty boy
>>
>Caesar died holding a scroll alerting him to a plot on his life, he hadn't the time to read it
Positively absurd.
>>
>>7892033
I don't get the Camus-is-super-handsome meme. Is it only in comparison with Sartre?
>>
>>7892041
relative to all philosopher's, he's definitely up there, you must admit
>>
Do you think Sartre arranged his death because he was jealous of Camus' regular eyes?
>>
I don't think you understand what the absurd is, anon.

That's just ironic or coincidental.
>>
>>7892145
Enlighten us
>>
>>7892034
Whoa, I never knew this.

Is this historical fact or just some Shakespearian invention, like the 'et tu, Brute'? Anyone got a source on this? Google didn't really help that much.
>>
>>7892145
That's the absurdity of it.
>>
Positively absurd my dear chaps
>>
>>7892150
>having to have absurdism explained to you
>>
>>7892145
Yes, but if he had died in a more absurd way, it wouldn't have been absurd. Instead his death was, as you say, circumstantially ironic, almost a cliche out of a romantic novel, so that makes it absurd.
>>
>>7892183
I mean... no...
>>
>>7892185
Positively.
>>
>>7892152
It's mentioned in primary source ancient histories (but admittedly that doesn't make it 100% fact). Appian mentions it for sure and I think also Suetonius. Plutarch and Dio would be worth investigating as well.

Certainly not a Shakespearean invention. I like Appian's comment that his death was destined and therefore unavoidable, "For Caesar had to suffer Caesar's fate."
>>
>>7892188
PS in case you care, the location in Appian would be the end of book 2 of his five books on the civil wars. In Suetonius it would obviously be in the first book about Julius.
>>
>>7892188
>>7892191
Thanks anon. I'm not familiar with any of those sources as I'm by no means a classics scholar, but now I know some keywords for a thorough search.
>>
>>7892198
Glad I could help, and good luck!
>>
>>7892183
Checkmate, Muslims.
>>
>>7892034
sounds like Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Marquez
>>
The absurd is the dissonance that comes from our want for meaning, and the seeming silence of the universe. A car crash cannot be absurd - it is an event. The absurd takes place in our mind - the car crash relates to irony in death, but is not a confirmation or denial of meaning, it is simply what you project onto it.

To project meaning or lack of meaning onto the event would be to take the leap of faith which Camus specifically tore a new one. Likewise, he repeatedly avoided saying that a lack of meaning is definite, because to do so would be a negative leap, and would both reject the absurd and would imply absolute knowledge.

Thus his crash was not absurd. It was just ironic for making that challenge apparent. That doesn't mean there's anything meaningful IN the event that isn't directly observable.
>>
File: 1447299832101.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1447299832101.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>7892030
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ
>>
>>7892234
But he had the train ticket.
>>
>>7892241
Doesn't matter. Still irony. It's simply a change of mind - if you ascribe higher meaning to it, you avoid the absurd, and live with appeal/hope.

It can only be absurd in as far as we might be tempted to ascribe that higher meaning, but it itself is not absurd.
>>
File: pickpocket.jpg (257 KB, 2010x1308) Image search: [Google]
pickpocket.jpg
257 KB, 2010x1308
>>7892041
I wish I was 17 again reading Camus and Sartre and Dostoyevsky and Kafka for the first time thinking I had the world all figured out smoking camels and drinking coffee late into the night reading Being and Nothingness only to sleep through school the next day which I felt more and more above with time and watching films by Bresson and Antonioni and thinking everything in life that was important was from the 1800s or 1940s or 50s or 60s and black and white suit and tied existentialist and depressive and absurd
>>
>>7892241
It's like rain on your wedding day.
>>
>>7892234

/thread. I'm currently reading the myth of sisyphus and this is exactly what I've made of it till now. Thank you for clarifying this to the rest.

Also, can i ask you a few questions about absurdism? I've been finding the myth of sisyphus a bit difficult to read and wanted to know if what i've understood till now kind of matches up with what is accepted is what camus meant.
>>
>>7892342
> /thread
> continues the thread in the following line
>>
>>7892030
The dead do not experience the absurd
>>
sounds more like aristotelian tragedy
>>
>>7892234
Is it not still absurd in how he talked about how an absurd death would be? As in not of one's choosing.

I don't know, I just read myth of sysaphus and what I understood I didn't care for. I should of taken notes...
>>
>>7892458

I'm currently reading myth of sisyphus and finding it a bit recondite.

how much of it (tenatively what percent) would you say you understood?
>>
>>7892060
>>7892183
>>7892145
>>7892458
>Positively absurd
i.e. even though its tempting to make meaning out of this, we must remember that it has none.

(see >>7892234)
>>
>>7892351
The absurdity of it
>>
>>7892535

is everyone baiting here?

(See >>7892234): He explains the difference between the absurd and irony yet everyone insists on using the two interchangeably.
>>
>>7892030
He would have died anyway. for "Camus had to suffer Camus fate."
>>
>>7892458

Just a small aside, when you mistake 'of' and 'have', people here will judge you severely. It is very triggering.
>>
but DUDE WHAT IF HE WAS A COCKROACH LMAO
AND BOULDERS DUDE LMAO
>>
>>7892255
better times ;-;
>>
>>7892683

because frankly, it is a mistake that invites harsh judgement. there is a massive difference between "have" and "of". Even when typing. So it's not as if one could make a typo that is forgivable.

The person using "could of" meant to use "could of" which is such an egregious grammatical error that even a semi-literate child can tell you that it is stupid and annoying to read this most appalling bastardization of english.
>>
>>7892255
>thinking everything in life that was important was from the 1800s or 1940s or 50s or 60s
It still is.
>>
>>7892255

im going through this phase right now and I'm 20. should i cherish it? what lies after this?
>>
File: CubeSpace.jpg (4 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
CubeSpace.jpg
4 MB, 3008x2000
>>7892744
>>
>>7892755

no nooo nooo. I'm graduating from college for a STEM job at a place which has floors designed like this. I am so fucking scared anon.

Right now I'm trying to tell myself that after spending half my day at a crushing 9 to 5 job, I'll still have some enthusiasm and energy left for difficult literature.
>>
>>7892030
>Camus died on January 4, 1960 at the age of 46, in a car accident near Sens, in Le Grand Fossard in the small town of Villeblevin
Camus died in "Petit Villeblevin" that's in Villeblevin not in "Le Grand Fossard"
>>
>>7892761
Getting a stem job pays better, but there level of bullshit and the people are still awful.
>>
>>7892761
For a while. But the years will weigh on you. Year after year you will have less energy and eventually all you'll want to do when you get home is have a beer, watch tv and relax until you go to bed.
>>
>>7892041
You have to look like a fat, bearded Greek around here, a non
>>
>>7892761
My dad was a bookish sort through school, and wanted to go to school for literature, and after that be a writer. But, his parents told him he would never be able to get a job, so he went STEM. He had a job before he graduated, and has stayed at that job for 33 years, and will retire next year.
He has hated every minute of that job. He makes good money, and his hours were not ridiculous. He was able to provide for us better than he would have if he took a lower paying job. But at the end of the day, he rarely has the mental energy to read for more than an hour or so, let alone write. And, he's painfully aware of this state of mental/creative malaise. He tries to fight occasionally by going on vacations by himself and working, but it rarely turns into anything worthwhile.
Some people can handle the STEM life and stay creative. But if you're having questions about your capabilities now, opt out. Don't be my dad. Think about 30 years down the line.
>>
>>7892744
leap of faith :^)
>>
>>7892893
jesus christ dude how horrifying.

I think thats a malaise everyone knows at least once in their life. Its terrifying to think that could be a whole life.
>>
>>7892255
best times
>>
>>7892893
>>7893984
Life is what you make it. If you're working for someone else, it should be to save money.
The richest guy I know grew up in the depression and doesn't have any STEM degree. Really, the only thing you need to do what he did is literacy and basic arithmetic. He worked multiple jobs until he was 30, bought a property on the then-developing campus town, fixed the crumbling joint up and made fucking bank as a land lord.
He wiles his days away in a little warehouse he rented, working on some antique cars. He would've had since his 40's onward to write all the goddamn books he wanted, if he had a mind for it.

Your dad didn't do that though. He didn't spend a decade working 24/7, likely because he wanted time with his family more than a book deal. It's nothing glamorous, but at least he's not hiding from his own wife in a warehouse on the other side of town!
>>
>>7892255
I miss it too
>>
>>7892726
Jesus, I wonder how this board even functioned before browsers had spellcheck.
>>
>>7892255
Getting ready to jump from the Greeks into the existentialists, and I feel what you described is going to be me in about a month.

I'm going to read Camus and Sartre, who else is a must-read?

Why did you guys move away from existentialism? What did you move into after?
>>
>>7892041
well, he was aesthetic and hygenic (prob showered more than other philosphers, clean shaven, set hair, had children, was very social).
>>
>>7892342
It's basically a joke based on the reversal of reader expectations. Camus spends most of the piece relaying the horrors and labors of repetitive failures being ones' fate, then ends the piece with "but we must imagine Sisyphus as happy." The subtle argument is that our only hope in coping with the universe is to find peace and meaning in the struggle of living rather than defining ourselves by our abilities or the outcomes of our actions. It's essentially a rejection of the teleological (goal-setting, Aristotelian) foundation of self-worth that you will still find shockingly pervasive in Western culture.
>>
>>7892030
How's it absurd? Obviously this guy was punished by God. That's what's meant by the circumstances of his death and all. Either that, or it's fate. Someday or later everyone meets their's; and that's common knowledge however mysterious are the causes of ones undoing...
>>
>>7894651
I doubt that will be you. Are you 16/17 and still in highschool? Do you listen to Nine Inch Nails and hate your parents?

That's a very specific place in life where one has just stumbled on art and intellectualism like it's some hidden world while they're still young enough to be naive and impressionable.

If you've started with the Greeks I can almost guarantee you won't find yourself in that place, you're probably already above it, and the premeditation in reading Greek philosophy, planning out your journey through literature, sounds way too mature and informed to become an angsty existentialism kid. Sorry you had to miss out on that.
>>
>>7894851

I wonder exactly how many people on this board feel like such a conceited special snowflake like you for having gone through what is essentially an experience that really isn't as unique as you think it is to you.

But anyway, at least you've got something to brag about to the rest of the world even if it comes with the requirement that you delude yourself.
>>
>>7895016
Are you joking? Who is bragging? Who said this was a unique experience at all? It was discovering literature during a childish phase of angst and pretentiousness
>>
>>7894598
What positively absurd times were they
>>
>>7894811
spooky dubs
>>
>>7894851

...But he'll get another shot at it at 40 when das nichts and the realization of his own uneigentlichkeit come knocking.
>>
File: heck.jpg (122 KB, 532x529) Image search: [Google]
heck.jpg
122 KB, 532x529
>>7892030
>>7892034
>>7892157
>>7892187
>>7895398

>positively absurd
>positively absurd
>positively absurd

jesus christ dude. you're one dedicated but naunced shitposter I'll give you that.
>>
>>7892145

I don't think that you understand what ironic means

It'd only be ironic if he was hit by the train he was supposed to be on
>>
>>7894811
it was probably typical of Camus to do something like that and its not like car accidents are a rare cause of death.
>>
>>7894548
I would have to agree.

Even though anon's dad chose security over fun, he didn't need to have a negative attitude about the stem job. Only made it worse for himself. People get through famine, war, med school. It's all in your head.
>>
>>7894548

do you agree with camus's deduction of revolt as a consequence of the absurd? and freedom and passion as consequences to the absurd?
>>
>>7892690
DUDE WHAT IF HE'S HAPPY
>>
>>7895593
>>
File: 110903787487.gif (447 KB, 245x179) Image search: [Google]
110903787487.gif
447 KB, 245x179
ITT plebs confusing the common meaning of absurd with the philosophical meaning of absurd
>>
>>7892342

>/thread
>He ends the thread because someone else believes what he believes and that means he must certainly be right and the others wrong and there can be no possibility that it is the other way around.

Absolutely absurd.
>>
>cam moo
But that's fucking wrong you Amerrykant

It's Camü

(You would know if you could speak German) :^)
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.