[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is my favorite short story. What is yours?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: IHaveNoMouth.jpg (25 KB, 200x336) Image search: [Google]
IHaveNoMouth.jpg
25 KB, 200x336
This is my favorite short story. What is yours?
>>
It's not a short story and it's shit.
/v/ based shit
>>
File: 19104.jpg (37 KB, 298x475) Image search: [Google]
19104.jpg
37 KB, 298x475
>>
I've never read much in the way of short stories outside of English courses, I'll admit

Though probably Araby. A fantastic story that I've only grown appreciation for over the years that continues to amaze me in new ways when coming back to it or reading new criticism on it.
>>
>>7891780
Araby and everything else in Dubliners is sublime from the perspective of scholars and writers. Don't really see all the appeal to more casual readers, but they seem to like it too.
>>
>>7891751
It's actually the very one in the image of your post, OP.
>>
'The Library of Babel' by Borges
>>
Idk probably something from Nine Stories.
>>
Saki, The Unrest Cure

>"We're going to have a pogrom lynch all the Jews in town. They'll never expect it."

>"There hasn't been a pogrom in this county in 900 years! There are maybe eighteen Jews in all!"

>"Well, it'll be all the more surprising then, won't it?"
>>
The Metamorphosis
>>
>>7891806
A genuinely perfect one.
>>
The Ballad of the Sad Cafe - Carson McCullers

It's technically a novella
>>
In The Penal Colony by Kafka. Anticipates both David Cronenberg and Clive Barker.
>>
>>7891815
Didn't know the Japs had Jews.
>>
my favorite short story is the one about how Harlan Ellison accepted hundreds of stories to be published in "The Last Dangerous Visions" and has been sitting on them since 1972. and pretending it's still going to be published. and lying about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Dangerous_Visions

also,

http://web.archive.org/web/20000902203835/http://sf.www.lysator.liu.se/sf_archive/sf-texts/Ansible/Last_Deadloss_Visions,Chris_Priest
>>
Bradbury's stuff in Illustrated Man and Martian Chronicles. Im sure there's better stuff out there, just haven't explored the genre in much depth
>>
Novella or Short story?

The short stories from high school were pretty good
>Most dangerous game
>Cask of Amontillado
>Scarlet Ibis
>Bee's by Dan Chaon
>>
Mountains of Madness (Lovecraft)

Kaleidoscope (Bradbury)

Siddhartha (Hesse)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Haddon)

The Cask of Amontillado (Poe)

The Lottery (Jackson)

Room 1408 (King)

Anything by Asimov
>>
>>7891762
it was a short story, and it was shit.
>>
The Black Monk - Anton Chekhov
>>
An occurrence at owl creek bridge.
>>
>>7891762
durr
>>
>>7892327
almost none of those are short stories, dummy
>>
>>7891751
That one
>>
Bartleby the Scrivenour
>>
>>7893039
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
File: I Have No Mouth.jpg (436 KB, 1260x600) Image search: [Google]
I Have No Mouth.jpg
436 KB, 1260x600
>>7891751
It's sort of sad that most of Ellison's other work pales in comparison.
He's a dime store Dick.
>>
File: 119113.jpg (42 KB, 266x400) Image search: [Google]
119113.jpg
42 KB, 266x400
Tough Tough Toys for Tough Tough Boys - Will Self
>>
>>7893070
Siddhartha isnt a short story
>>
>>7891751

Used to be that when I was 16 , now it is either The Overcoat by Gogol, Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius by Borges or Dream of a Ridiculous man by Dostoeyevsky. Probably in that order, actually.

Honorable mention to The Portrait, also by Gogol, Bartleby the Scrivener by Melville and Octet and The Brief Interviews by DFW.
>>
>>7893388

You're being had, lad, the man is obviously lying in jest for sick kicks.
>>
>>7891751
"The Outcasts of Poker Flat" by Bret Harte
http://www.bartleby.com/310/4/2.html

Probably a strange choice, but I haven't read many short stories.
>>
>>7891751
The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster
>>
The driller by /lit/.

He placed the drillbit into a previously hollowed out skin pocket located on his temple hold together by a clothespin and began his journey.
'Drill, I...' he mumbled, piercing his head to eradicate the pain.
Blindstruck at birth, he could see now clearly.
Sweet relief overcame him when the perforated edges of the drill dug into his head.
His mouth started to water as the joy of physical pain disconnected him from reality.
he finally finished his elaborate makeshift glasses, using his watch body, the strap remove from one side, a clothes pin, and a piece of scrap metal from the yard, only then remembering scrap metal does not account for bad eyes, nor can one actually see through it at all
he shed a tear for the lack of foresight.
"i am blind, both mentally and not. just kill me god."
"Why? Why do I always close both my eyes when I need to scratch my cheek as I remove the mechanism from my head? None of the others have to do it this way. Am I a fool? Is my mechanism flawed?" The inquiries rattled through his divided mind. One division an insect, the other has jilted the device. So it begins to drill, and again he closes both eyes as he scratches his cheek as he tries to remove the mechanism from his head.
>>
File: driller.jpg (154 KB, 650x434) Image search: [Google]
driller.jpg
154 KB, 650x434
>>7893463
>>
>>7891751
The bishop
>>
>>7893388
If it takes me less than 2 hours to read then it is a short story.
>>
>>7891868
underrated post
>>
Of all of them, probably my favorite is red star, winter orbit, by gibson. The Last Question is also great.

I generally think SF is a great genre for short stories - just enough to explore an idea without needing to let character and setting get too much in the way.
>>
>sci-fi, Reddit, high school tier shit
>no Saunders
>no Hempel
>no Carver
>no Paley
>no Barthelme
>no Munro

good on whoever posted Joyce, Kafka and Borges I guess but come on guys
>>
Either Araby or Two Gallants

Different league, but I really enjoyed The Legend of Sleepy Hollow too
>>
Loss of Breath by Poe
It's really funny
>>
>>7893507
to be perfectly honest, I don't usually find short fiction which is considered "literary" all that compelling. "Literary" novels of the western canon are usually much better.
>>
File: 1444873498464.jpg (43 KB, 600x647) Image search: [Google]
1444873498464.jpg
43 KB, 600x647
>>7891751

I like that a lot. Maybe Young Goodman brown or the yellow wallpaper

actually wait no chickamauga by ambrose beirce holy shit thats good.
>>
>>7893616
oh shit nigga I forgot about ambrose bierce

absolutely fucking titanic.
>>
We Love Glenda So Much and Axolotl by Cortazar
Araby by Joyce
Everything by Borges, I couldn't choose any particular right now.
>>
"The Great Hargeisa Goat Bubble" by Julian Gough is honestly really far up there for me:

http://www.juliangough.com/the-great-hargeisa-goat-bubble/
>>
>>7893422
reminder: Borges loved Harte
>>
>>7891751
>ctrl + f "The Great God Pan"
>No hits.
>What?
>>
for something written more recently, Diaz's "Edison, New Jersey" really stayed with me. I enjoyed all of Drown far more than Oscar Wao.

Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues"

Bierce's "A Horseman In The Sky"

O'Connor's "Good Country People" despite being entry-level.

Borges, there's not a bad one in the bunch

Poe, generally.
>>
>>7892110
> I got tricked: the post
>>
The Adanoma Brothers, author unknown
>>
"Good Country People" - O'Connor
"In a Foreign Town, In a Foreign Land" - Ligotti
"The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" - Le Guin
>>
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut

It's about a dystopian egalitarian society where everybody is handicapped to be equally weak and stupid.

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html
>>
>>7894033
>Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues"

yeah. i read it about a month ago. nearly cried.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.