[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone summarize or explain his writing style to me briefly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Ivan_Sergeyevich_Turgenev_2.jpg (886 KB, 1264x1889) Image search: [Google]
Ivan_Sergeyevich_Turgenev_2.jpg
886 KB, 1264x1889
Can someone summarize or explain his writing style to me briefly? I'm reading through one of his books right now, I have a few russian authors and I want to better understand what i should look out for or possibly notice as to his unique style, especially with it being translated wondering what might have been lost.

I'm not asking to be spoonfed I just want to understand better the literature i'm reading and the unique variations author to author.
>>
A French realist embodied by Russian culture.
>>
>>7891723

Alright I appreciate that, I did some more reading up on it all, thanks m8. I'll keep it in mind when reading him. The writing seems very simple throughout so far, i'm halfway through fathers and sons. I wonder if it's the translation or just his style
>>
Turgenev was a great prose stylist. Who is the translator?
>>
>>7891742

Richard Freeborn, its the oxford classics translation.

Maybe i'm just inept in judging the prose.
>>
>>7891747
Try the Peter Carson Penguin translation.
>>
>>7891699
Can someone tell me why people consider Turgenev as great stylist, as >>7891742 points out? I've heard this praise many times but when I read Fathers and Sons I found the writing bland compared to Tolstoy.
>>
>>7891735
Why are you so interested in the prose style? Especially in a translation.

The literary style (realism) + the theme (generational gap + superfluous men) is what's interesting about it.
>>
>>7891922

I'm no major critic, I just have gotten into reading more the past couple of months and want to take a somewhat more "serious" approach to the books and understand the nuances of every author i read, and get a better feel of it.

I just came off the back of reading middlemarch so I can't help but make comparisons to it in the back of my head even though that's probably unfair, i found it to be so well written so I was impressed by it.

I appreciate all the answers though, it'll help me see what to look at better and appreciate in it. I did quite like the honest look at the fathers thoughts of getting old and the brothers struggling to come with terms with the new generation.
>>
>>7891959
Read Turgenev's chapter on Nabokov's Lectures on Russian Literature (2002), have fun.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.