[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /lit/ any recs on modern journalism that takes a unique approach
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: thomson.jpg (13 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
thomson.jpg
13 KB, 182x277
sup /lit/ any recs on modern journalism that takes a unique approach similar to hunter s thomson something like vice but more interesing thanks
>>
Try Buzzfeed
>>
if you want literary personalized journalism go for the new journalism movement
Martha Gellhorn, Tom Wolfe, Joan Didion, etc.

these are writers who saw no need for the objectivity of journalism and interjected themselves into the narrative, which is where a lot of things like today's news commentary or blogs essentially stem from
>>
unfortunately can't really recommend anything from the past decade or so, but definitely check this out if you haven't
>>
Norman Mailer
>>
File: redneck.jpg (43 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
redneck.jpg
43 KB, 310x475
Matt Taibbi. He is left-leaning but his writing is very much in the tradition of Hunter S. Thompson. Taibbi actually wrote the introduction for the most recent edition of Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail. Jim Goad is also very good (superior to Thompson in my opinion).
>>
>>7891534

>comparing HST to VICE

My jimmies are rustled. There's a grain of truth in the comparison, especially for the massive idiots who believe HST and Raoul Duke are identical, but Thompson, unlike VICE and other hacks, actually attains ocassional profundity and beauty.

What works of Thompson have you read? Hell's Angels, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 and his article collection in Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone are all excellent reads.
>>
wishing HST were here for this election....
>>
>>7892670
yeah vice can' really hold up to hsts standard but just wondering if there was any recent journalism thats as innovative or stylistically unique
>>
>>7892648
Anything in particular you'd recommend from Taibbi? Also I plan to read Redneck Manifesto but is there anything else from Goad I should look out for?
>>
>>7892648
HST was left-leaning too...
>>7893378
Came her to recommend Taibbi/Ames, I like Griftopia
>>
File: Hunter MAGA Thompson.jpg (8 KB, 200x170) Image search: [Google]
Hunter MAGA Thompson.jpg
8 KB, 200x170
>>7893927
>HST was left-leaning too...
To think he would probably be a Berniecuck if he was still alive...
>>
>>7893378
Shit Magnet, which is his autobiography but mainly focuses on his arrest for domestic violence and his time in prison. Very bleak, nihilistic but well-written book. Also, Goad wrote an underground zine called ANSWER ME! in his early to mid twenties that is somewhat infamous. Deals with serial killers and counterculture icons like Anton LaVey, Timothy Leary, David Duke. You get the idea. Transgressive outsider art. Also, Goad's articles on Taki's Magazine are great, but more conventionally right-wing and a bit more toned down than his previous work. He posts a new one every Monday.
>>
Has anyone here read The Boys on the Bus? How was it?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.