[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction or Minima
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: adorno1.jpg (34 KB, 450x330) Image search: [Google]
adorno1.jpg
34 KB, 450x330
The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction or Minima Moralia?

Which one should I read first, /lit/? Delving into this madman's work without reading Marx is much of a bad idea as it seems?
>>
w then mm
>>
>>7891755
Withouthair then Moustache Man?
or
WillemScholem'sBoypussy then MemedbyMarcuse?
>>
>>7891227
>The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
i'm not sure if i'm misunderstanding your post because i've been drinking wine but this work is by walter benjamin, regardless i would highly recommend it
>>
File: fsflochart.jpg (967 KB, 4621x2914) Image search: [Google]
fsflochart.jpg
967 KB, 4621x2914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYu6qhd88_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0KwdtCmvWg
>>
>>7891825
Impressive that a Down Syndrome sufferer was able to operating the charting software.
>>
When will someone write The Work of Art in the Age of Memetic Replication?
>>
>>7891839
Stop being ableist you shitlord.
>>
The Dialectic of Enlightenment.
>>
>Theodor "everything I don't like is fascist" Adorno
or
>Walter "moshiach now" Benjamin
>>
File: 1458846956083.jpg (19 KB, 483x695) Image search: [Google]
1458846956083.jpg
19 KB, 483x695
>>7891825
"Instead of the voice of conscience, [the paranoiac] hears voices; instead of inwardly examining itself in order to draw up a protocol of its own lust for power, it attributes to others the Protocol of the Elders of Zion. It overflows at the same time as it dries up. It invests the outside world boundlessly with what is within itself; but what it invests is something utterly insignificant, an inflated accumulation of mere means, relationships, machinations, a grim praxis unilluminated by thought. Domination itself which, even as absolute power, is inherently only a means, becomes in untrammeled projection the purpose both of oneself and of others, purpose as such. In the sickness of the individual, humanity's sharpened intellectual apparatus is turned once more against humanity, regressing to the blind instrument of hostility it was in animal prehistory, and as which, for the species, it has never ceased to operate in relation to the rest of nature. Just as, since its rise, the human species has manifested itself toward others as developmentally the highest, capable of the most terrible destruction; and just as, within humanity, the more advanced races have confronted the more primitive, the technically superior nations the more backward, so the sick individual confronts the other individual, in megalomania as in persecution mania. In both cases the subject is at the center, the world a mere occasion for its delusion; it becomes the impotent or omnipotent quintessence of what is projected on to it. The opposition of which the paranoiac complains indiscriminately at every step is the result of the lack of resistance, of the emptiness which the encapsulated subject generates around itself. The paranoiac cannot stop. The idea, having no firm hold on reality, insists all the more and becomes the fixation.

Because paranoiacs perceive the outside world only in so far as it corresponds to their blind purposes, they can only endlessly repeat their own self, which has been alienated from them as an abstract mania. This naked schema of power as such, equally overwhelming toward others and toward a self at odds with itself, seizes whatever comes its way and, wholly disregarding its peculiarity, incorporates it in its mythic web. The closed circle of perpetual sameness becomes a surrogate for omnipotence. It is as if the serpent which told the first humans 'Ye shall be as gods' had kept his promise in the paranoiac." (Horkheimer and Adorno 1997, 189–90)
>>
>>7891849
Someone currently in grad school will, just wait.
>>
>>7891227
>The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
That's Benjamin, not Adorno. Still an incredible essay though. Actually, if you want to do something really cool, read The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction and The Origin of the Work of Art by Heidegger. Both were written around the same time (mid 30's), but are strikingly different.
I don't think you need to be a Marx scholar to appreciate Adorno or Benjamin if this is just leisure reading, but you should be familiar with the basics. As always, SEP is a great resource.
>>
Do yourself a favor and read synopses of his work but not the original unless you're willing to spend the rest of your life studying Adorno. You won't unterstand a thing. Even my philosophy teacher who's been studying his work for about 20 years now says that he understands maybe 50% of Dialektik der Aufklärung, at best.

And if you're not German, don't read the original anyway because the German versions of his books will be unreadable for any foreigner who doesn't hold a degree in German studies (his language is so complicated that even most native speakers have troubles understanding single sentences by him, let alone complete essays or books) and the translations will probably be highly disputed because, as I said, even people who have spent their whole lives studying Adorno aren't completely sure what he wanted to say.
>>
File: adorno-swimsuit.jpg (60 KB, 352x400) Image search: [Google]
adorno-swimsuit.jpg
60 KB, 352x400
For Adorno, I think reading Hegel is more important than Marx. As for Benjamin, a good background in phenomenology would be helpful.
>>
Cultural Marxism EXPOSED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqLmoRwcfI
>>
>>7891825
>critical theory spawns political correctness

This may be the most misinformed inaccurate thing I've ever read on this site.
>>
>>7893220
I'm writing an honor's thesis on Adorno next year and you just gave me an academic boner.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.