[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With as influential as holy texts like The Bible and The Qu'ran
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1453449295274.jpg (8 KB, 362x412) Image search: [Google]
1453449295274.jpg
8 KB, 362x412
With as influential as holy texts like The Bible and The Qu'ran are, how come nobody ever thought to think of writing something about the people who actually wrote these books?
>>
>>7889544
because the people who "wrote" them were just writing things that had been chronicled by other people over generations
>>
>>7889544
I guess it's similar to Aesop's fables - they're tales shared and passed on through generations and nobody actually really knows where they came from.
>>
>>7889544
they do. very often.

harry bloom wrote book of j as just one of many examples

stop making stupid threads and read more faggot
>>
>>7889565
I think OP meant more along the lines of why the holy texts are often credited as written by anonymous when they're so well-renowned and why nobody actually knows who they are.
>>
>>7889576
Do you know how hard it is to prove anything historically? There are entire civilisations that we know very little about. There are Roman emperors we know practically nothing about. Does anyone find it surprising that it's hard to find out who wrote some obscure (at the time) texts, that were part of a much larger tradition of written, from the complete ass end of the world?

On a side note the bible isn't traditionally ascribed to be anonymously written. Moses wrote the five books of the Torah, the Gospels are written by their namesakes etc.
>>
>>7890011
But we have science.
>>
>>7889544
>The Qu'ran
>how come nobody ever thought to think of writing something about the people who actually wrote these books?
The Quran was written down by early followers of Muhammad after he received his revelations - so more or less written by Muhammad by proxy. Muhammad's life and person is the subject of the Hadith, a whole heap of writings of anecdotes. If you take the hadith to be genuine biographical works (some are of questionable merit, and there's a lot of discussion about which one are legit), Muhammad is one of the people from late antiquity of whose lives exists the most detailed information.
>>
>>7890011
I know what you're saying, but im not even sure what OP is asking. Do you mean fictionally, OP? As this Anon says, the names of the writers and their writing styles are identifiable. Mark is all about concealment (The Markan secret) Matthew is all about the law, Luke incorporates Greek rhetoric, etc. Hell, we even know that Genesis was composed by two different authors and stapled together.

the lives and biographies of these people, however, are not so easily identifiable, if that's what you're looking for
>>
>>7890041
Er, not Luke, but John. My mistake
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.