[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>charles fucking walker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: download (1).jpg (5 KB, 176x286) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5 KB, 176x286
>charles fucking walker
>>
my gf is giving me this for my birthday

what can I expect lads
>>
>>7887849

a pretty apt and ubiquitous description of college life

a lot of existential angst

it's a quick read too, it's pretty easy to get into
>>
>>7887814
What did you like about that creep?
>>
>>7887814
Lomax and Walker had nasty cripple sex, right?
is that why Will's life was ruined?
>>
>>7887867

nothing about his character in particular but his sort of lofty and flaky nature is still found in college classrooms which perhaps made him the most recognizable character for me

his modern equivalent is every know it all douchebag you've ever had to suffer through a class with
>>
>>7887878
> don't ever talk to me or my Ph.D. candidate again
>>
>>7887878
i think that's certainly implied but idk if it actually happened

i think he was always destined to be miserable
>>
>>7887882
>>7887878

What if, Stoner was actually biased, and he legitimately discriminated against someone who was physically disabled, whose ideas he wouldnt even hear out. And this story is just his biased perspective, and we feel terrible for him, but he's the real monster.
>>
>>7889572
the part where he failed the exam shows he was, in fact, a fraud
>>
>>7889578
Failing a biased test of old theorems and antiquated ways of thought. A brilliant person could be totally right and fail the test.
>>
>>7889581
he didnt have basic factual knowledge
>>
That little vindictive fuck Lomax was a sadder character than Stoner.
>>
File: cubert.jpg (50 KB, 300x391) Image search: [Google]
cubert.jpg
50 KB, 300x391
anyone else thing walker was lomax's clone? it would explain why he had such a vested interest in the little shit and why they had the same deformity
>>
>>7890132
I felt the same way but you still can't help but hate him for being so damn bitter

>>7890134
>tfw you're not writing a sci-fi spin-off with Lomax as the main character
>>
Good ol' Charlie reminds me of me in my English class, and also of /lit/ just generally. All they do is just make shit up on the spot and then pretend to be clever as hell.
>>
>>7892173
The worst part is that people actually fall for it because they are too busy to reflect.
>>
File: 1425915115502.jpg (71 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
1425915115502.jpg
71 KB, 450x800
Walker is the slippery customer who the author saw as in ascendancy. Sophistry, a brass neck and the right connections are really all you need to succeed in life today. Because everyone else is educated in this qualification factory way - where the trick is to learn to the test, most people feel fraudulent and don't challenge the ones who are the most brazen frauds. Stoner is clearly the best-informed faculty member because literature is his abiding passion, but because of his lack of connections and humility he is passed over.

I believe about 75% of university students should not be there but the degrees have become life fetish objects in our economy and so the whole spirit of higher education has been bent towards credential acquisition rather than study.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.