[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for books on africa history during the 1800s.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: africa.png (9 KB, 431x350) Image search: [Google]
africa.png
9 KB, 431x350
I'm looking for books on africa history during the 1800s. Any info about the Swahilli people would be nice too.
>>
wrong place to ask unfortunately
>>
>>7887678
I asked on his but one guy suggested lit. Oh well
>>
I think they were kings, but don't quote me on that.

Ask /his/
>>
>>>936517
>>
>>7887650
>>936517
>>
in terms of african history, I'd recommend a university library. Just look for a section on Luba, Buganda, Rwandi/Burandi if you're looking for anything in particular about the Swahili tribal kingdoms

I was recently reading some work about Ahmed Bey of Tunis, by Leon Brown. It was pretty interesting and I'd recommend it if you're interested in other african regions.

Personally I'm not that well read on Swahilli history, or anything south of the sahara, although I did read some really interesting archives on British Rhodesia and Baroteseland a while back that I believe might be public access(although they were from the early 20th century, not 19th)

Altogether, well this board isn't particularly great with anything African or historical.
>>
You don't need a book, I can give you a quick rundown:

>be Africa
>be complete shithole
>no technology, society never evolved past tribalism
>Europeans see that no one is taking advantage of Africa's natural resources
>colonies.m4a
>Large parts of Africa under European rule
>these parts prosper, land is being used for agriculture, mining, ect...
>civilisation has arrived in Africa
>fast-forward a few years
>Africans: "THOSE WHITEYS BE STEALIN OUR SHIT WE WANT THIS GIVE IT BACK NOW WHITE DEVIL"
>Europeans: "Jeez, alright, we're leaving."
>*Europeans leave*
>fast-forward a few years

>be Africa
>be complete shithole
>>
>>7888207

Not even /pol/, you're /b/ tier familia
>>
>>7888207
>no technology, society never evolved past tribalism
remember that time Ethiopia beat the Italians in a war.
Doesn't seem like a tribal nation could do that
>>
>>7888216
Ethiopia's army at the time of the Italian invasion was in comparatively good shape because of a large British effort of training and arming it as a counter to the Mahdist rebellion a decade or so.
Which isn't to say that Ethiopia also didn't have more-or-less developed state structure, but most African indigenous societies had that. Protip: whenever someone describes a state as 'tribal', they're a history pseud.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.