[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to Read Before Ulysses?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: Ulysses.jpg (38 KB, 261x400) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses.jpg
38 KB, 261x400
I'm trying to be more well read and I keep hearing how great this is, but I don't think I've read enough to fully appreciate it. Before I read it, can anyone give me a list of things I should read first?
>>
check the archive. this has been asked countless times before.
>>
>>7887122
Can I get a link, senpai?
>>
>>7887123
Better yet, a chart for the wiki.
>>
Odyssey (possibly Iliad before it)
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (possibly Dubliners before it)

But if you really want to, just read it blind. The parallels between the first and the references to the second will be missed, but you will enjoy the book regardless.
>>
>>7887151
>Odyssey (possibly Iliad before it)
Are there /lit/ recommended versions of these?
>>
Nothing. Just read it.
>>
>>7887163
http://159.203.110.57/odyssey/

I read Lattimore for both and would unconditionally recommend him but others on here have attachments to other translations as well.
>>
>>7887163
I didn't read in english, but I'll give my opinion on it.
Get a translation that is faithful to the original, but not too archaic; and is not too concerned with metric or rhyme.
With this you'll understand what's going on and can focus on googling mythology and geographic stuff if you want. In another time, you can comeback to it and read a translation with a more poetic approach (you'll probably want, both poems are interesting and entertaining).
>>
>>7887115
I'm currently reading it and while its certainly apparent that I could be enjoying it more thoroughly if i was a little more well read, its still very easy to see why its so great
>>
>>7887115
bible, homer, virgil, dante, shakespeare, dubliners, portrait of artist as young man
>>
>>7887163
could you do a google search instead of asking to be spoonfed?
>>
>>7887627
No. I don't know enough about it.

>>7887172
Thanks for your Lattimore recommendation. I'll go with him.

>>7887611
>virgil
What's the best translation of Aeneid?
>>
>>7887115
just read it senpai. don delillo was never much of a reader his whole life and just picked up ulysses and finnegans wake out of nowhere
>>
You should also read a good amount of Aristotle and Aquinas as well.
>>
>>7888106
Fitzgerald or Fagles. Either of them also work for Homer
>>
>>7887284
+1 on prose>poetry
>>
>>7887115
The entire western canon.
>>
>>7887151
This is correct. Also I'd add that if you're really too scared of going in blind (and honestly, you'll enjoy it even if you don't get every hidden reference), I'd also add Hamlet to the list
>>
The absolute bare minimum is hamlet. You can look up a plot summary of the odyssey, or you can read it. You should also read a portrait of the artist as a young man and dubliners, but it isn't too necessary.
>>
A brief history of Ireland
Dubliners
A portrait of the artist as a young man
James joyce by richard ellmann
Hamlet
The odyssey
The bible
Hero with a thousand faces
Paradise lost
faust
Don quixote
Grimma fairy tales
sound and the fury
The sun also rises
Infinite jest
The 48 laws of power
Hittchhikers guide to the galaxy
House of leaves
Game of thrones
The electric koolaid acid test
Fear and loathing in las vegas
Tao te ching
Bossypants by tina fay
Pulp fiction: the screenplay
1000 movies to see before you die
Winslow homer: paintings
The letters of wolfgang amadeus mozart
The bradygames final fantasy 7 strategy guide
>>
>>7890659
You forgot Gravities Rainbow
>>
The two most important are the Odyssey and Hamlet, those are the two works with which Ullysses had the most parallelism.
>>
But what's really important, I think, is that Joyce himself is read in order. There's a sort of distinct evolution from dubliners, portrait, ulysses, finnegans wake- in that order, unless, like most, you can't stomach finnegans wake
>>
File: Latza Laff.webm (1 MB, 750x932) Image search: [Google]
Latza Laff.webm
1 MB, 750x932
>>7890659
>>
>>7891282
what do you call that haircut
>>
File: Latza Stylish.png (1 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Latza Stylish.png
1 MB, 900x900
>>7891295
The stylish men's haircut.
>>
>>7890659
Nigga, you just won with this shit.
>>
>>7887115

Portrait and Hamlet are the only two essential ones.

Odyssey is good, but not necessary (if you know the general story or just read up on wikipedia, you'll be able to spot the parallels)
>>7888106

>Aeneid

C. Day Lewis

he retains the dactyllic hexameter
>>
>>7891956
What about Fitzgerald's translation? I already have his Homer translations.
>>
>>7890659
Had me going for a bit
>>
>>7887115
Get an annotated version if you are in all seriousness interested in decoding the obscure references to irish nursery rhymes and the western history of ideas. I had some fun with this and then given up.
>>
For God's sake, literature isn't math. There are no prerequisites after knowing the language.

Read then Odyssey and the Portrait. You'll finish it in five days. Then read Ulysses. I'm reading it right now and I am enjoying it very much. I am on the sixth episode. I've been slowed down a lot by uni but I think I'll finish it this weekend. It's not very difficulty - there's nothing that the Sparks Notes summary cannot elucidate. The rest are intellectual considerations which you don't necessarily have to do on your first reading.
>>
>>7892006
Why do the Anglos enjoy reading contemporary translations so much? I haven't read any Homer translation in its entirety in English, but I don't see why one shouldn't read George Chapman. He's very good and he inspired great poets. Anyway, I remember reading George Steiner praise Fitzgerald, so just go with whatever translation you have at the moment. The Odyssey is essential and you should read it as soon as possible. Don't lose your time.
>>
>>7890659
>The bradygames final fantasy 7 strategy guide

still have my copy
>>
>>7892214
take heed everyone- this is how pseuds are created
>>
>>7887115
you could read it to a kid and they would enjoy it. you dont need to read anything first.
>>
>>7892214
My friend, if you are on the sixth episode...you have absolutely no place talking about how hard it is to read.

That said, fuck it you're right, just read the goddamn books people.
>>
>>7893184
Is that you CJ? Because if it is, I knew you still had it you thieving bastard.
>>
>>7893202
Calling someone a pseud- with a grammar howler like this- have you ever read a book- and seen it punctuated like this- idiot
>>
>>7893313
Obviously he was interrupting someone.
>>
>>7893313
w e w- l- a d
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.