[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elaine Scarry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Scarry.jpg (27 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
Scarry.jpg
27 KB, 332x500
Has anybody read this? Has anybody read or studied under Scarry? I'm quite interested in her first work, and I'd love to hear some opinions.
>>
>>7886464
I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia, but their article doesn't present her as someone I'd like to study under.
>>
>>7886808
Why is that?
>>
File: getwellsoon.png (808 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
getwellsoon.png
808 KB, 900x900
>>7886895
>human pain
>human values
>nuclear weapons
>plane crashes
>Elaine scarry is an American essayist and professor of English and American literature and language

she's sounds like a dilettante, a less accomplished female version of Malcolm Gladwell
>>
>>7887056
>a less accomplished female version of Malcolm Gladwell
Well I'd hesitate to make the comparison considering Gladwell is mocked by staticians, he's a journalist, and Steven Pinker described him as being "a minor genius who unwittingly demonstrates the hazards of statistical reasoning," while accusing him of "cherry-picked anecdotes, post-hoc sophistry and false dichotomies"

Yikes.

Scary, meanwhile, is a professor at Harvard, head of the aesthetic department, and her book, Body in Pain, won the Truman Capote award for Literary Criticism. She's also respected by academics.
>>
>>7887098
Read her stuff on TWA 800. She's a wackjob conspiracy theorist.
>>
>>7887139
Yeah, but she can still be a great theorist
>>
>>7887338
sure anon
>>
Why not actually post her ideas and we can debts them.

I agree with her that pain is very central to the human experience, and a great many of our systems and practices are either attempting to reduce it, or enhance it.
>>
The Body In Pain is a great read
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.