[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: pynchon1.jpg (1 MB, 2200x3037) Image search: [Google]
pynchon1.jpg
1 MB, 2200x3037
why does /lit/ struggle with this concept so much? Nobody seems to recognize that all you have to do to determine if something is just a meme or actually good is leave /lit/.

pic related. apparently some people on this board really believe that pynch-o is just a meme
>>
>>7886018
But he is just a meme.
>>
>>7886026
if hes a meme then fine but dont imply pynchon is anything but pure brilliance
>>
>>7886018
Who dat? R Crumb? Take that shit to /co/ instead of /lit/.
>>
>>7886031
His hype is brilliant
>>
Pynchon rightfully belongs within the canon of book bluffers.
>>
>>7886038
so is your moms dick but i dont go around calling it a meme
>>
>>7886047
>3rd grade comeback
>Pynchon proponent
sounds about right
>>
File: sexy_squidward.jpg (11 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
sexy_squidward.jpg
11 KB, 350x263
>>7886026
>>7886038
>>7886046
>>7886053
>the critical consensus is wrong but i'm right
>>
>>7886059
Critical consensus is fluid. Authors fall in and out of favor.
>>
>>7886078
And yet pretty much every literary critic of repute consistently holds him in high regard.
>>
>>7886148
Again, he's still alive and the dust hasn't settled. Author's fall in and out of favor. If he fell out of favor would you still defer to the critics assessment?
>>
>>7886078
not really, can you name many authors who were considered to be as legendary as pynchon who became unknown and poorly regarded?

would tolstoy or james joyce ever be regarded as trash?
>>
>>7886154
Well, I'm part of the same tides that they are. If their opinions reasonably changed, so would mine. In other words, anything that could convince, say, Harold Bloom to denounce him could probably convince me.

Still, Pynchon's nearing the end of his life. On the off chance he publishes two, even three more novels that are absolute shit, I doubt any critics would seriously disinherit him.

Authors are often forgotten about, but very few are actually subject to major reversals of critical opinion. Not when they're praised to the degree that Pinecone is.

And anyway that doesn't change the fact that the critics are better than 4chan at determining quality, immediate or long-term
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.