[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should i read old testament if i am christian but not jew?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Should i read old testament if i am christian but not jew?
>>
>>7878183
Yes?
>>
No?
>>
Maybe?
>>
File: 3454546.jpg (16 KB, 480x318) Image search: [Google]
3454546.jpg
16 KB, 480x318
>>7878183
>>
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>7878183
Holy Trinity are your god, a christian. What you could know about your God Father and Holy Spirit don't reading old testament? Nothing.
>>
>>7878183
At least it have a interesting story about an ark and a deluge.
>>
The New Testament was with Old Testament connections in mind, so yes.
>>
>>7878221
*written with
>>
>>7878183
Yeah, there are many references to the OT in NT. Christians claim that the coming of Christ was prophecised several times in the OT.
Reading the OT is necessary for understanding the NT.
>>
>>7878183
The OT is divine inspired scripture as much as the NT is. So read both. Also the NT is based off the OT messianic prophesies. The other thing is that a lot of the NT authors who wrote what their respective books and epistles cite the OT frequently and it can help understand Jewish culture better and theology.
>>
If you don't read the Old Testament, you'll miss a prophet summoning a bear to devour two children because they called him bald.
>>
>>7878183
Yes. Why would you not? It's like a trilogy. Jews only like the first one, Christians like the first two but think the last one went too far, Muslims will read whatever the author puts out.

Also the Old Testament is a more interesting read.

>>7878392
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>7878392
that sounds pretty fun
>>
>>7878183
The old testament is essentially a series of failed Jewish states who didn't listen to God, and thrown in are prophets describing the eventual coming of Christ. It's...not essential. It's sort of like social proof for the New Testament.
>>
>>7878292
>it can help understand Jewish culture better and theology.

Trying to understand modern Judaism by reading the OT is like trying to understand modern America by reading the Magna Carta.
>>
>>7878403
>Fuck off reddit

Excellent rebuttal.

God sent two she-bears into a village to kill a bunch of kids because a few of those kids called a man "bald-head". I think that that's pretty badass. Why would you not take pride in that?
>>
>>7878183
if you mean for the sake of the writing itself then the answer is yes, the OT contains some of the best and most important literature in any language . Theologically its probably not essential but it would be give the NT context and make some things easier to understand.
>>
>>7878183
OT is more interesting than the NT desu. NT is very straight forward, pretty easy to understand. Its good, especially the gosples, but the OT is crazy. Parts of it are very complex and you need to know some context about when it was written to understand allot of it.

If you're just interested in theology then idk maybe you don't need to read it but if you're just looking at it as a book you should, the OT is the more interesting book IMO.
>>
>>7878532
I'm not saying it doen't exist but it's the most "OMG CHECK OUT THIS CRAZY METAL BIBLE VERSE XDD" type of post and I know you didn't actually pick that shit out of reading the bible you just got it from some redditor response or a buzzfeed article. Your version of 'smart and obscure fun facts' come off as a 14 year olds common knowledge to anyone who has actually read a book.
>>
I like how he said christian but not jew like you can be both
>>
>>7878611
Wow u mad
>>
>>7878546
Any resources about context that are needed to understand OT?
>>
>>7878638
The distinction is that the Old Testament is included in Jewish texts, but not the New Testament. Modern Christianity is mostly focused on the New Testament.
>>
>>7878661
And I don't have any shame about it.
>>
>>7878611
he was making a joke chill the fuck out lmao
>>
>>7878691
>>7878532
>you
>you
>>
File: sfasasfs.png (2 KB, 216x100) Image search: [Google]
sfasasfs.png
2 KB, 216x100
>>7878695
que?
>>
>>7878183
Supposedly many of Jesus's deeds were done in order to fulfill prophecies from the Old Testament so as to prove he was indeed the one who was fortold.

So if you want to get analytical, this is one reason to read OT.
>>
Old Testament is for Jews, New Testament is for Christians.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.