[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After reading philosophy, have you become more, or less afraid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 1456040174540.png (165 KB, 1495x543) Image search: [Google]
1456040174540.png
165 KB, 1495x543
After reading philosophy, have you become more, or less afraid of death?
>>
as I've read more philosophy I've also gotten older. so who is to say.
>>
>>7877295

Philosophy doesn't help with your fear of death, if you even have one. It merely just tries to find an answer baseless for it, just like religion.

You either use religion and spiritualism to distract you from the fear of the abyss, or you live with the weight of the abyss on your shoulders until you jump in to it.

The latter is more difficult, but if you hold the weight you become a more powerful person. It's just a matter of how long can you hold it until you fall on to something .
>>
I've become afraid there is no death. Which option is that?
>>
>>7877313
this isn't discussed nearly enough

the thought that we might be consigned to live every life is unimaginably horrible
>>
Death as an outwardly observed phenomenon has become annoying to me. Between the obligation for mourning, inheritance taxes and political commotion certain deaths seem to cause I've just become spiritually exhausted by the circus surrounding death.

Death as an inwardly observed phenomenon is fascinating though.
>>
>>7877295
Neither because I still know I'm going to heaven
>>
Being dead is just like not being born. So I feel nothing about the matter.
>>
>>7877295
Death is only frightening when you're truly near it, when you're truly forced to contemplate what it might mean for you.

The more blissful, productive, or even virtuous you live your life the less you have to fear - because what are the consequences of living a life fulfilled? It's when you're in genuine contemplation that you begin to stack up all the reasons against, and all the rationale you come up with for the fact that there's a chance you'll be inflicting upon yourself a literal hell. What saved me from suicide a few years back ended up stemming from the terror of something like a divine judgement. Like, how shameful - how despicable and abhorrent would it be in the eyes of the universe /God, to have been given consciousness along with an incredibly well crafted vessel(body) in a world of boundless beauty, only to make the decision that you just don't want to put in the effort to hold out and see what lies ahead? If I were God I would punish something so spineless.

In light of this perceived universal judgement I'd say my fear of death has only had the effect of making me more stoic, and maybe even a better person.

I feel as if there's nothing to fear so long as I live a virtuous and productive life so to answer the question, less. I have very little to fear at the moment.
>>
File: 1440727552592.jpg (610 KB, 1280x1064) Image search: [Google]
1440727552592.jpg
610 KB, 1280x1064
>>7877295
fear death disappears once you stop taking what you think and what feel as personal, relevant.

your reason can lead to you to see this, but it is hit or miss.

You can still see this through meditating.
>>
>>7877560
so it lasts no time at all and you're immediately thrown into a random body, like before you're born?

feels bad man
>>
>>7877608
people like you are why I like /lit/

Have a good day family
>>
>>7877313
this is the correct fear to have
>>
>>7877333
the ubermensch doesn't fear eternal recurrence faglord
>>
>>7877560
go back to your garden Epicurus
>>
>>7877310
>Abyss
>Non existence
Pick one
>>
File: 1444036297634.jpg (22 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1444036297634.jpg
22 KB, 650x650
My mother is hysterical, egotistic, histrionics, incompetent to the point of killing me a bit more each day. Her sheer existence shows me that taking life seriously is the sole blunder to make and that everything must be let go of, in order to be happy.
>>
I'm at peace with the idea that one day I'll be gone. And I don't believe in an afterlife, when I'm dead that's it.

That said, what I'm still afraid of is the possibility of a painful death, either through accident, murder or disease.
>>
The afterlife is living your shitty life over and over again. Maximum mental drudgery, no respite. Enjoy plebs.
>>
>>7877649
<3
>>
Less afraid.
Reading heidegger, Nietzsches and shit just makes you realize living terribly is far more scary than dying.
>>
I've never been afraid of death, so the study of philosophy has incurred no effect over me. I am dead, philosophically, mentally, physically, etc. I mainly observe and witness like a ghost. I try not to interfere with any occurrence of the real world. I wish to be a specter and if I could kill myself then I would. I start all of my sentences with I because I am selfish and care mostly of myself. We are both confused I can tell, you and I, please.
>>
>>7877295
Not really no.
>>
>>7877893
I try to not use ''I'' at all. it is quite hard.
>>
File: chart38.gif (11 KB, 320x298) Image search: [Google]
chart38.gif
11 KB, 320x298
>>7877608
reason equals virtue equals happiness
>>
>>7877438
Well said
>>
>>7877295

i am afraid that i will still be conscious after i die
>>
File: gauld5.jpg (164 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
gauld5.jpg
164 KB, 500x317
>>7877295
if you've spent a long time studying philosophy, you've already wasted your fucking life, so you might as well welcome death
>>
>>7878003
Do you have a bigger pic of this?
>>
>>7877295
neither

I've pretty much grown with the realization that

1: you have no method of knowing what's in death
2: when you die, you'll know

I also find the possibility of a hell existing pretty low because reasons, so I really don't have anything to fear from death. maybe it's nothingness, maybe it's not, either is fine, but when the time comes I'm curious to find out
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.