[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you personally define "Irony" /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: typewriter.jpg (8 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
typewriter.jpg
8 KB, 460x287
How would you personally define "Irony" /lit/?
>>
>>7876432
Irony is like onions

It has layers
>>
>>7876460
It's funny because i watched finding fiona today.
>>
rain on your wedding day
>>
>>7876432
A notion that is hypocritical to its intent
>>
A thing I don't like.
>>
File: l10R1s7AAp4f80983QPvugT3.png (602 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
l10R1s7AAp4f80983QPvugT3.png
602 KB, 640x480
>>7876432
it's when the literal meaning of signification is subverted by its context
>>
one half of hipsterdom
>>
a bird that's fallen in love with its cage
>>
>>7876432

/lit/
>>
>>7876432
Approaching something with self aware false confidence that actually makes you insecure
>>
>>7876432

Life.
>>
File: irony_vs_weather_9456.png (110 KB, 350x216) Image search: [Google]
irony_vs_weather_9456.png
110 KB, 350x216
>>7876478
>>
File: cutedream.jpg (7 KB, 250x185) Image search: [Google]
cutedream.jpg
7 KB, 250x185
irony: juxtaposition of two antithetical ideas.

That's the best way I can define it.
>>
>>7876488
this
>>
In the game of life, women are the rake.
>>
>>7876432
In English it's another word for "a coincidence". In French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Indonesian, Modern Greek and many other languages it refers to something (commonly a statement) that has got a very different meaning but only to those with some shared background knowledge (which is why irony, in it's continental sense, works in a circle of friends, or colleagues, or in a blog devoted to some subject matter but never on an anonymous image board). Sarcasm is when you signal the different meaning by either semantic exaggeration or being vindictive and loud. Unlike Irony this concept can be dropped in English freely not confusing anyone. Also: I don't think the Anglos need to be ashamed of their semantic differences with the rest of the world. It's not stupidity or popular culture, but a semantic shift which happened in the early modern era when through a shortening of "irony of fate". Just use the verb, "to ironize", if you only want the continental concept.
tl;dr: the Ancient Greek word for dissimulation used in the Apologia Socratis has developed two different meanings in Albion and Europe. Please, quit being confused abbout that.
>>
>>7878139
>In English it's another word for "a coincidence".
No it isn't. It's more like poetic justice. Ironic happenings are coincidences but coincidence is a much broader term. It's a coincidence that you bump into you high school sweetheart down the shops but it's not ironic unless she dumped you there or something.
>>
>>7878141
You are being confused, again, by the continental meaning of the word. In your example that event has got a second meaning to those with background knowledge. But it's not really ironie (french spelling I'll now use for continental sense) because the two (possible) meanings are not very different and clear. If your sweetheart had bumped into you making you drop your shopping bags and you'd have said "mam, you're reckless and rude" that would be ironie because, to those in the know, it also means "you dumped me, you heartless bitch".
I believe a lot of the confusion, along with your idea that irony is a "poetic" term for a coincidence, is merely caused by the similar word used in france and by the upper-class people in touch with what is spoken on the continent. There is no need to waste your time on essentialist poetic scenery in place of definitions.
If you help the guy who sold you the car you're riding hailing on the highway it's a coincidence and, as anglos would an "irony". How does the Oxford dictionary define coincidence?
>"A remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection"
And this is the exact meaning of the English word "irony". Or are you able to provide an example of a coincidence that isn't albion-sense "irony"? could you provide an example of an albion sense "irony" that isn't a coincidence?
>>
It's like 10000 spoons even all you need is a knife
>>
>>7878199
OK. That's not coincidence but indeed an irony of fate.
>A strange fatality which has brought about something quite the reverse of what might have been expected.
>“By the irony of fate the Ten Hours' Bill was carried in the very session when Lord Ashley, having changed his views on the Corn Laws, felt it his duty to resign his seat in Parliament.” >—The Leisure Hour, 1887.
>Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
>>
It's a free ride when you're already there
>>
It's a traffic jam when you're already late
>>
>>7876432
It's like sarcasm, but less harsh.
>>
>>7878350

where is the sarcasm in >>7877614 ?
sarcasm is a figure of speech whereas irony is something larger. something that goes beyond spoken language.
>>
>>7878212
you're not seeing the difference between "need" and "expect"
>>
Whoever posts another line of Morisette is, SAGE, a shit-stained anal rosette.
>>
>>7876432
A stage in between the feeling of deja vu and reading something a second time.

Wit in the sense of word play and underlining meaning.

A half assed paradox

>I can keep going
>>
>>7878473
you can keep going right out the fucking door namefag
>>
its the good advice that you just didn't take
>>
>ctrl+f 'discrepancy'
>0 results
wat
if you read Allemann or any lit theoretician you will always find a definition based on that word.

>the discrepancy between literal and intended meaning
>occurence of a particular discrepancy of the written and contextual levels of a text
etc etc

It's literally ''written != meant''.
>>
>>7878350
sarcasm is an intentional misstatement characterized by hyperbole

irony lacks agency though one can intentionally position themselves or their statements to be taken ironically
>>
Irony is the subversion of expectations in such a way the situation takes on an added meaning to those able to appreciate it.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.