[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to start the Dark Tower Series. Did /lit/ enjoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: darktower.jpg (335 KB, 1600x956) Image search: [Google]
darktower.jpg
335 KB, 1600x956
I'm about to start the Dark Tower Series.

Did /lit/ enjoy it? I've read quite a few books from King, Duma Key being my favorite.
>>
>>7874465
I haven't read it, but it does kind of seem like Stephen King's ultimate wish-fulfillment-masturbation novel.
>Muh magic cowboy
>Muh giant cock tower
>Muh King Crimson
>>
File: 1416727635042.png (327 KB, 495x498) Image search: [Google]
1416727635042.png
327 KB, 495x498
>>7874477
>wish-fulfillment-masturbation novel
>>
>>7874465
I read a couple chapters.
Had to put it down, it was so awfully written.
I am flabbergasted that a single person could enjoy it, let alone have a massive popularity.
>>
File: turniphead.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
turniphead.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1080
>>7874490
Shit taste confirmed. I rarely dislike anything King does.
>>
File: bobby.png (396 KB, 775x583) Image search: [Google]
bobby.png
396 KB, 775x583
>>7874490
Btw

>couple chapters
Your opinion means nothing to me, nor should it anyone else.
>>
>>7874496
Sometimes you need to put a book down before you invest your valuable time into actively degenerating your sub-conscious.
Do you think if someone can't write well in two chapters that they'll suddenly write well in the third one?
That shit doesn't happen, not to mention, this is Stephen King.
Do you think Stephen King would put any effort into a single story?
Hell no, he'd milk any possible dimensions into other novels revolving around a single trope.
Y'know what, just read it, you'll probably enjoy it.
But it will always be a piece of shit.
>>
I thought it was really cool when I read it in high school, but oof... Throughout the series he keeps flip-flopping on aspects of the plot. And the tone keeps changing from book to book. The whole series is totally inconsistent in a lot of ways. Its conflicts are resolved anticlimactically.

When I was reading the first few books I was quick to recommend the series to people, but having finished it I would say don't bother investing your time.

Some of the books are fun reads, I guess.
>>
>>7874524
Even Stephen King considers the first book to be poorly written. It does get better with the second, but ultimately I have to agree with >>7874540's assessment.
>>
>>7874465
Ending aside, I loved it. The first four books are great. The fourth branches off into a different story, but it's actually my favorite. Books 5-7 are a lot different than the first four and a lot of people don't care for them. They're still enjoyable, in my opinion. The ending is universally regarded as a massive cop out.
>>
MY first thought was, he lied in every word,
That hoary cripple, with malicious eye
Askance to watch the working of his lie
On mine, and mouth scarce able to afford
Suppression of the glee, that purs’d and scor’d
Its edge, at one more victim gain’d thereby.

What else should he be set for, with his staff?
What, save to waylay with his lies, ensnare
All travellers who might find him posted there,
And ask the road? I guess’d what skull-like laugh
Would break, what crutch ’gin write my epitaph
For pastime in the dusty thoroughfare,

If at his counsel I should turn aside
Into that ominous tract which, all agree,
Hides the Dark Tower. Yet acquiescingly
I did turn as he pointed: neither pride
Nor hope rekindling at the end descried,
So much as gladness that some end might be.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.