[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About a third of the way into Vineland and enjoying it. but so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: vineland.jpg (10 KB, 178x276) Image search: [Google]
vineland.jpg
10 KB, 178x276
About a third of the way into Vineland and enjoying it. but so far it feels very similar to Inherent Vice. Was IV a rehash of Vineland or do they differ in more ways?

also which Pynchon should I go to afterwards? I read TCOL49 and Inherent Vice, thinking of going to Against the Day then V, Mason & Dixon and Gravity's Rainbow last.
>>
You've read in a weird order.

Read V., then GR or M&D (both, but in either order), then AtD, then BE, then SL if you feel like it.
>>
>>7871876
I'm not looking for his best first, I'm just going through it by feel. but I can try it your way. is there a reason for it?
>>
>>7871888
I think its generally thought that you are wasting your time with anything other than V. GR, M&D, tCoL49, and AtD
>>
>>7871888
V. is the generally recommended starting point because it's the basis of the rest of his work, in a way. You've already read TCoL49, so it makes sense to read GR after you read V.. I generally recommend going from GR to M&D because it's basically publication order (except Vineland, but normally I would say to read that last or second to last, and only if you're a huge fan). I said that you could go in either order on them, though, because they're quite different and it's up to whichever you like most. AtD is extremely longwinded, and should therefore only be attempted after you've established that you like his longer works. BE is probably his second worst behind Vineland, and it's his most recent, so it should go last. SL is only worthwhile if you want to know more about the author so you can really read it anywhere, just don't read it expecting greatness.
>>
>>7871896
I think it's generally thought that reading Pynchon is a waste of time.
>>
Why is "Pynchon Lite" considered bad? is it not as deep as his other works? I've only read Bleeding Edge.
>>
>>7872180
It's not bad, it's just not as good. It lacks substance compared to his non-lite works. The lite works would be regarded much more positively if someone else had written them.
>>
i'm currently reading vineland too and enjoying the hell out of it. as someone that's been around the hippie scene, i like both his mocking of and affection for it.
>>
>>7872262
cool. What did you think about the boarding of the airplane by the armed thugs looking for the ukulele? did it happen or was is an illusion brought on by drugs or some gass in the vents? do you think Pynch was trying to symbolize something or was he just being wacky? if you're enjoying it, try out Inherent Vice.
>>
>>7872376
>gass in the vents
Pretty subtle there Gass poster.
>>
>>7871888
the best way to do it

don't listen to anyone else

read his books twice before commenting
>>
>>7871828

If you've enjoyed the lighter stuff so far, you might as well go to Bleeding Edge, the latest and lightest.
>>
vineland starts out feeling like inherent vice but takes a shitty turn about halfway thru
>>
>>7871876
YOU read in a weird order.

V.>Crying of Lot 49
>>
File: 1450617970138.png (193 KB, 500x466) Image search: [Google]
1450617970138.png
193 KB, 500x466
>>7872443
every time?
>>
Slow learner any good?
>>
>>7872401
Fuck, I actually laughed out loud at this. What has /lit/ turned me into
>>
>>7874473

It's far from essential, unless you're a completist. It won't add to Pynchon's stature in your eyes.
>>
>>7872180
It's mostly people feeling sad about his possible deterioration and lashing out because of that. They're not as horrible as people say, but they definitely are a huge step down from him at his prime.

(V. GR and arguably M&D)
>>
>>7871888
Other than reading V. before GR and GR after V. the order really doesn't matter much. And some people will tell you that even that doesn't matter, though I disagree with them.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.