[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good contemporary Muslim lit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: 1458918652371.jpg (83 KB, 800x614) Image search: [Google]
1458918652371.jpg
83 KB, 800x614
Any good contemporary Muslim lit?
>>
nope
>>
>>7871670
Naguib Mahfouz is pretty dope, he won the Nobel some time back. He doesn't actually write about religion a lot though, so not sure if that's what you want. I'd recommend Miramar, it's about a murder in a hotel in 1960s Alexandria where all the guests have some kind of relation to the Egyptian revolution.
>>
>>7871670
Oh yea anon they've got some authors that are really blowing up right now
>>
>>7871773
top zozzle

>>7871692
yeah and nothing else

>>7871670
nope. go old, go persian, go poetry.
>>
The Quran
>>
I am the refugee fucking your daughter by Mehmet al Jizzera
>>
the satanic verses
>>
Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih is one of my top 10 favorites. It's a short, but great novel.
>>
Soumission by Michel Houellebecq
>>
>>7871789
>dude Rumi lmao
>>
Explicitly Muslim literature i.e. a supposition about Islamic morality in the context of a narrative?

It doesn't exist, because most great authors from Islamic backgrounds stop being Muslims.

If you want good books about the experience of being a Muslim or growing up in an Islamic society, then anything by Egyptian author Nawal El Saadawi is worth reading.

Great books set in Islamic societies that examine Islam:
Shame by Salman Rushdie
A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Anything by Intizar Husain
Any of Saadat Hasan Manto's Short Stories (Manto is fantastic, and seriously overlooked in the West)
The Secret Life of Saeed the Pessoptimist by Emile Habibi

As for poetry, there's a shitload of Arabic, Farsi and Urdu poetry. Of those three I only read Farsi so I can recommend you Hafez, Obayd-e Zakani, Saadi, Jahan Khatun and Rumi (known as Mohamed Balghi in Iran). Rumi's Masnavi is actually interesting if you're looking for a work that directly addresses Islamic theology, while the other only really reference it in passing (or criticise its hypocrisies).
>>
File: Conference_Birds_300-bookcover.jpg (28 KB, 300x366) Image search: [Google]
Conference_Birds_300-bookcover.jpg
28 KB, 300x366
The Conference of the Birds by Farid ud-Din Attar
>>
>>7871670
Nope literature is haram.
>>
>>7872078
Yeah, because worshipping Zoroastrian Simorgh is properly Islamic. 'Attar is great but for someone seeking Muslim literature, it's probably a tad confusing to start there.
>>
File: 1434755723275.jpg (61 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
1434755723275.jpg
61 KB, 534x712
>>7872219
Just because you completely missed the point of the entire book does not mean the book is not Islamic. How do you even arrive at that conclusion? Did you read it without any kind of commentary or notation and took Simorgh literally? Did you understand the use of the word Simorgh and it's crucial use at the end of the book?

It's not a hard or confusing read at all.
>>
>>7871796
lol salman rushdie is the muslim equivalent of a cuck/uncle tom, he sold out his people to gargle on jew cock
>>
File: 1409698630895.jpg (69 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
1409698630895.jpg
69 KB, 531x471
>>7871846

>Obayd-e Zakani

Some of his non-lewd stuff is breddy gud, but goddamn is the remaining 3/4 of his diwan ever filthy.
>>
>>7871670
sexy
>>
>muslim
>culture
>>
File: 1459471576344.png (4 MB, 7000x7001) Image search: [Google]
1459471576344.png
4 MB, 7000x7001
>>7871773
>>
File: cheeky.jpg (102 KB, 476x598) Image search: [Google]
cheeky.jpg
102 KB, 476x598
>>7871773
wew laddio
>>
Binebine
>>
>>7871773
10/10
>>
Rolling for Thomas Pynchon
>>
File: modern islam.jpg (115 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
modern islam.jpg
115 KB, 768x1024
Reminder that Spain translates more books per year than the Arabic world has translated in total in the last 1,200 years.

http://www.arab-hdr.org/publications/other/ahdr/ahdr2003e.pdf
>>
>A wry and haunting first novel from a fresh Iranian-American writer, Sons and Other Flammable Objects is a sweeping, lyrical tale of suffering, redemption, and the role of memory and inheritance in making peace with our worlds. Growing up, Xerxes Adam is painfully aware that he is different—with an understanding of his Iranian heritage that vacillates from typical teenage embarrassment to something so tragic it can barely be spoken. His father, Darius, dwells obsessively on his sense of exile, and fantasizes about a nonexistent daughter he can relate to better than his living son; Xerxes’s mother changes her name and tries to make friends; but neither of them offers their son anything he can actually use to make sense of the terrifying, violent last moments in a homeland he barely remembers. As he grows into manhood and moves to New York, his major goal in life is to completely separate from his parents, but when he meets a beautiful half-Iranian girl on the roof of his building after New York’s own terrifying and violent catastrophe strikes, it seems Iran will not let Xerxes go.
>>
>>7871773
TENOUTTATEN

BEST JOKE 2016
>>
The 40 Rules of Love
>>
>>7871670
Her feet aren't covered. That's hot.
>>
>>7876029
Muslim girls always have cute feet.
>>
>>7871670
Abdelwahab Meddeb
Mahmoud Darwish
Mahmoud Dowlatabadi
>>
>>7877387
We're out of darwish. We had daklouhb and der'wah'a.
>>
>>7871816
Rumi is a meme, but Hafez and Khayyam and the master of them all, Ferdowsi, are really, really good. Read them in translation while simultaneously learning Persian in order to be able to read and translate the originals on your own.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.