[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>protagonist uses curse words unironically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_nohya3Kr2X1se6rqho1_250.jpg (6 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nohya3Kr2X1se6rqho1_250.jpg
6 KB, 250x241
>protagonist uses curse words unironically
>>
File: 1457932176271.jpg (40 KB, 243x335) Image search: [Google]
1457932176271.jpg
40 KB, 243x335
>>7871509
>Prose mirrors the main character's train of thought
Looking at you, Joyce.
>>
File: 1458635684466.jpg (793 KB, 2641x2450) Image search: [Google]
1458635684466.jpg
793 KB, 2641x2450
>>7871509
>protagonist is a idiot during school but a genius in combat.
Fuggg I'm writting one, but I came up with a legitimate reason
>>
>>7871542
That set-up is common because young readers relate to it. Literally every anime is based off it.
>>
File: 1428384935194.jpg (92 KB, 404x449) Image search: [Google]
1428384935194.jpg
92 KB, 404x449
>>7871509
>OP posts frogs unironically
>>
>>7871546
I know i kinda want to deconstruct it.
>>
File: 9466325134.jpg (40 KB, 255x381) Image search: [Google]
9466325134.jpg
40 KB, 255x381
>>7871542

>protagonist is a genius in school and combat
>hurr boring gary stu shit writing

>protagonist is genius in school but gets shit on in combat
>hurr boring nerd betamax cuck shit writing

>protagonist is idiot in school and bad at combat
>the only thing keeping the story from ending in chapter 1 are shitty asspulls and deus ex machinas

There's no other way.
>>
Kill yourself. Filthy dumb frogposting scum
>>
File: 1458542320587.jpg (368 KB, 840x700) Image search: [Google]
1458542320587.jpg
368 KB, 840x700
>>7871778
>Protagonist is pragmatic and cunning and willing to make the hard decision.
>gets shit on for not being 100% good.
Is there no other way?
>>
>>7871509
>implying that isn't how people really talk. enjoy writing fantasy, faggot
>>
>>7871542
>>7871778
>>7871902

>reading and writing genre trash

gas yourselves
>>
>>7871778
I can think of like 5 different ways to make each scenario interesting

git gud son
>>
>>7872081

Good job. Now try make it so that someone besides you thinks it interesting too.
>>
>>7871509
Frigg off, dude
>>
>>7872109
Its all about character, you guys are spooking yourselves by only thinking about the face value archetypes.

What if the guy who is bad at both combat and academics is actually super charismatic? What sort of experiences would he have among both types of people?

What if the guy who is good at both ends up arrogant as fuck and socially silted? Then he gets looped the fuck around in officer school with all its endless politics.

Or what if the combat-only guy really hates it and actually wanted to be a scientist. Then he decides to games the system, but has to fake like he knows what he's doing among actual scientists?

Seriously, just dig into shit.
>>
>>7871778
how about
>protag is painfully mediocre in both school and combat
>>
>>7871517
I like that when Ann Beattie does it.
>>
>>7871509

Whats wrong with curse words you fucking piece of dogshit frogposter?
>>
>>7871509
>mad as hell
>stupid as shit
>>
>>7872132

>What if the guy who is bad at both combat and academics is actually super charismatic?
How can a loser who is bad at combat and academics be charismatic? That's a big challenge.
>What if the guy who is good at both ends up arrogant as fuck and socially silted?
Then he's not just a loser, but the worst kind of loser: a bitter, lonely loser.
>Then he decides to games the system, but has to fake like he knows what he's doing among actual scientists?
It'd take a real literary wizard not to turn that into contrived, pretentious bullcrap that makes no sense.

You can always throw around ideas, but you have to recognize when they are simply beyond anyone's ability to actualize in a competent manner. Archetypes are not just big cliches. They represent great, over-arching narrative functions. They unlock or seal entire storylines. Certain combinations become more popular than others, because the materials the others give you are simply too hard to work with. In a successful fashion at least.

>>7872152

You should've learned this at school, but being mediocre means being shit. Nobody cares about nobodies.
>>
>>7872217
>How can a loser who is bad at combat and academics be charismatic? That's a big challenge.
There are many people like that irl, I dont see how thats even a question.
>Then he's not just a loser, but the worst kind of loser: a bitter, lonely loser.
Exactly, and this is what gets him screwed over
>It'd take a real literary wizard not to turn that into contrived, pretentious bullcrap that makes no sense.
That idea is more in line of a comedy than anything serious, since we seemed to be working within a context of the anime-styled military academy.

It can easily be something else like the combat-only guy ends up transferred to the scientists by an error in the system, at first he hates it, then he ends up helping them develop a dank killer robot for the upcoming competition based on his own intimate knowledge of fighting. Power of cooperation, friendship, etc.

>You can always throw around ideas, but you have to recognize when they are simply beyond anyone's ability to actualize in a competent manner.

For you maybe. When I look at these ideas I just see little seeds that can be developed on at any time. The story is already there.
>>
>>7872243
>When I look at these ideas I just see little seeds that can be developed on at any time

But man, the point was, can these unconventional ideas become as interesting and successful as the tried and true premises. That would expect others to also see what you see. And you already lost me on line one with your ideas.
>>
>>7871509
Never really got away from the protestant paranoia did you Op
>>
>>7872256
That all depends on your skill as a writer. People enjoy characters, and that's what I concern myself with.

We can argue that the weak/notsmart kid isnt so much an intellectual but really knows how to work with people, its not book smarts he has but people smarts, and that's how he gets by. Easy fuel for all kinds of delinquent shit.

And you're going to tell me people don't like delinquent stories?

Archetypes aren't meant to be clung to religiously, they're just platforms you can play with as you wish (or really just the product of effective characterization).

The end result is just a matter of your own imagination and skill with managing characters.
>>
>>7872279
>That all depends on your skill as a writer.

The unfortunate reality of which is, that people rarely are half as clever as they think they are.
>>
what an enlightening conversation you nimwits
>>
>>7872914
Now thats just uncalled for
>>
File: 1458275847103.jpg (46 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1458275847103.jpg
46 KB, 612x612
>book is over 500 pages
>book is written in a stream-of-consciousness style
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.