[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the book worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Stalker.jpg (60 KB, 500x719) Image search: [Google]
Stalker.jpg
60 KB, 500x719
is the book worth reading?
>>
>>7868032
As much as the film is worth watching.
>>
>>7868032
Yeah, it's pretty fun. A lot of anons here talk about reading up on the politics of Russia at the time to get into the Brothers S but it's completely unnecessary. They're just enjoyable reads.

Roadside Picnic > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. > Stalker
>>
>>7868041
How is the game better than the movie..?

I mean it was fun and all, but, how does it have any merit above that?
>>
>>7868041
>Roadside Picnic > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. > Stalker

You are objectively wrong. This is how it is.

Stalker > Roadside Picnic > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>7868118
I'd say Stalker = Roadside Picnic = S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as all are shit.
>>
>>7868043
counter question: what is the merit you have found in the movie? i'm not the other guy but i have to agree with him. judged for the writing (THIS. IS. LIIIIIT!!!) the movie was not exactly profound or in any way related to the book. that fuck tarkovsky stole all the money and then made a film about his father's poetry.
the book contains some reflections on society and science; it has some interesting scenes and it has an athmosphere which has, in my opinion, been caught both by the book an by the game.
>>
>both by the book an by the game.
the *movie durr
>>7868123
This is also an opinion that I can understand. I could, understand, too, if the game was preferred to the book but the other hierarchies I want explained.
>>
Tarkovsky is pleb shit and so is the book.
>>
>>7868126
I'm the one who holds that all are equally unworthy of praise -- except for the arbitrary. You're right about the movie mostly, but it has its saving graces (mostly cinematic) that make it at least equal to the other two.

>>7868129
Alright.

I wish every game on earth was made by Ice-Pick Lodge. Imagine S.T.A.L.K.E.R. interpreted by them. My God.
>>
File: potato[1].jpg (46 KB, 600x308) Image search: [Google]
potato[1].jpg
46 KB, 600x308
>>7868138
>Imagine S.T.A.L.K.E.R. interpreted by them.
oh yes! the teenage hipsters goths would suddenly be reading the strugatskys.
>>
Read "Zona" by Geoff Dyer for a meta narrative on the film and book
>>
>>7868157
>zona
לא זונה
>>
>זונה
really, now .
she doesn't even have a real vagina.
>>
>>7868155
>teenage hipsters goths

Don't talk to me, unless you're going to explain thoroughly how their games aren't brilliant.
>>
>>7868118
This is correct
>>
>>7868032
Yes.

>>7868041
I don't remember much political commentary or anything that would require more than a basic understanding of Russia.
>>
Can't be any worse than the film.
>>
>>7868032
Yes, this question isn't even worth asking because the answer is so obvious, OP. Just read it.
>>
>>7868272
>I don't remember much political commentary or anything that would require more than a basic understanding of Russia.
It's set in Canada. There. Now you don't have to read the first paragraph.
>>
>>7868203
they're good enough for a kotaku reader.
>>
>>7868968
The authors are Russian, no matter where they set their story.
>>
>>7868979

do you think there are any better games, at least?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.