[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John C. Lilly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: john c lilly.jpg (316 KB, 900x1163) Image search: [Google]
john c lilly.jpg
316 KB, 900x1163
“As I say at the beginning of my workshops, 'Everything I say here is a lie -- bullshit, in other words -- because anything that you put in words is not experience, is not the experiment. It's a representation -- a misrepresentation.”

Remember the motto passed to us (from G.C.C. via S.S.C.U.): "Cosmic Love is absolutely Ruthless and Highly Indifferent: it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

― John C. Lilly

Anyone on /lit/ familiar with John C. Lilly and his work? He seems to me like a person who saw beyond the illusory nature of language, noting how it could never fully explain the truth of the cosmos. Nature is, as he words it, indifferent and ruthless. And yet we are a society that operates on ideological discourse, making all these various meanings that have nothing to do with nature.

Interview of Lilly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVf81iwSXT4
>>
>>7867288
>take a lot of acid
>experience sensations you can't rationalize enough to express in English
>decide those sensations were related to real phenomena and spend a lifetime insisting on this
Tedious, to be honest.
>>
>>7867294
Have you ever taken acid?
>>
>>7867298
As a matter of fact, yes. I just have the presence of mind to look at the experience critically afterwards.
>>
>>7867294
>>7867313
#rekt tbqh
>>
File: ecco.jpg (42 KB, 618x640) Image search: [Google]
ecco.jpg
42 KB, 618x640
>>7867294
I don't think Lilly's ideas came solely from his LSD or K experiences. The man had an M.D. in neuroscientist for Christ's sake. I like Lilly a lot. He (along with Timothy Leary and Robert Anton Wilson) helped people understand what language is and how it influences them on a daily basis. Too many people don't understand how they are being manipulated by language on a daily basis. Lilly's message is a wake-up call to the world. Look to nature and see how it functions. You don't have to believe in the whole ECCO thing in order to understand what Lilly has to say.

P.S. Ecco the Dolphin was a great game. Fond childhood memories there.
>>
>>7867345
>neuroscientist
*neuroscience
>>
>>7867288
I disagree with Lilly when he talks about the infinite bounds of the mind. The mind (and human creativity) is bound by language. And our language is flawed and limited and incomplete. Therefore, our creativity and mind is limited in this sense.
>>
>>7867516

There is very little robust evidence that language has much impact at all on our thought. People have always tried to claim that it does, but the studies just don't support them.
>>
>>7867547
what studies are you referencing, good sir?
>>
>>7867674

For instance Hopi and Whorf and their attempts to support preconceived prejudices about the influence of language on our behaviour; this stuff is the foundation of the whole school of thought that says language shapes the way we think about the world.

To give an example of how silly their evidence is, Whorf tells a story about how an oil drum was linguistically categorised as 'empty' due to its contents having been used, even though it remained full of flammable vapours. Therefore a worker thoughtlessly flicked a cigarette butt into it and started a fire; the accident, according to Whorf, was due to the influence of the word 'empty'; even though the worker should have known better, he was influenced by language to extrapolate from the concept 'empty' (in the sense of 'devoid of its usual contents') that the drum was 'empty' in the sense of 'containing nothing' and therefore inert.

If this seems like a warranted and well supported scientific conclusion to you then I guess we have nothing further to talk about.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.