[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with classic novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: doggy.jpg (44 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
doggy.jpg
44 KB, 184x184
Hey, so recently I started to read serious books and now i'm reading Swann's way by M. Proust. I think that this book is a little bit to hard for me and sometimes a bit boring. I still think that Proust is amazing but i'm not experienced enough for him. Do you have any suggestion on Classic novels by legendary writers? I'm thinking about The Great Gatsby or James Joyce books. what do you think fellas?
>>
P.S. i'm a beginner
>>
>the great gatsby
no...

Give Brothers Karamazov a try. Both entertaining and a classic.
>>
Read the sticky
>>
The boring parts of Proust aren't any less boring when you're experienced.
>>
>>7864380
what about crime and punishment? or Trial? or 100 years of solitude?
>>
Proust is boring at times.

and read the sticky
>>
That doggy is cute. Read the sticky.
Try madam bovary and the outsider for beginners French lit.
>>
>>7864385
pleb detected
>>
>>7864507
I liked Outsider. Camus style is great and he is so chill.
>>
>>7864522
Ignorant conformist detected.
(ignorant because those who actually have gone into in-depth readings of Proust acknowledge this fact, and so would as a result simple conformists)
>>
>>7864369
if your a beginner why would you take on the longest novel of all time? look at the lit top 100 and follow your interests and take your time. If you find something particularly interesting in a novel look into it, explore avenues other than lit for information.

Enjoy your life and don't be worried about "serious books" if you like Vonnegut read Vonnegut, If you like _________ read __________ .

If your a beginner it will be a year or two before more complicated works and unconventional narrative styles will be truly interesting and not just tedious.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.