[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /lit/ recommend any good literature about the Iran-Iraq War,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: 1451988922229.jpg (288 KB, 1670x1743) Image search: [Google]
1451988922229.jpg
288 KB, 1670x1743
Can /lit/ recommend any good literature about the Iran-Iraq War, The Gulf Wars,The Arab Spring and Middle Eastern Foreign Policy etc?

I'd like to have a better understanding of the current political climate by looking back to previous conflicts and seeing how they led to events that are occurring today.

Thanks in advance /lit/
>>
>>7863587
"Taming Riki" was pretty fucking great in a really bleak depressing way. check it out
>>
>>7863587
Tim Mitchell's Carbon Democracy
>>
Cannonball

*hides behind giant meme*
>>
>>7863587
That picture though, top kek.
>>
I have some recomindations but Idk if they're available in English
Al Qauqaa " The shell" by Mostafa Khalifa and Sharq Al Motaouasit "East of the Mediterranean" by Abdullrahman Munife about Arabic political prisons
Madih Al Karahia "In praise of hatred"by Khalid Khalifa about 80's events in Syria concerning the spread of Wahabism
As to the Arab spring I don't think anything has been published yet
>>
>>7863957
If you want to really understand everything going on in the middle east you have start learning about events that happened 1400 years ago, but you can read Tarikh Aal Soud "History of the Soud family" and T.E Lawrence's book the seven pillars of wisdom.
>>
>>7863587
Just read, about 110 pages, extremely good.

It ends before the overthrow of the Egyptian brotherhood and you can already feel the despair of the failed revolution
>>
Thread interest bump
>>
OP Here

Thank you so much for all the recommendations

You certainly provided more feedback than /pol/ and /k/

>>7863981
The Egyptian revolution was something I forgot about, Im gonna start reading this tomorrow night. thanks.
>>
>>7863587
Robert Fisk, The Great War for Civilization / The Conquest of the Middle East
His book about Lebanon, Pity the Nation, is also very good.
>>
>>
Look into Brookings Institute , an influential think-thank.
War on the Rocks , Counterpunch,might have books that interest you.
>>
File: 81wJh5EAxwL.jpg (432 KB, 1500x2312) Image search: [Google]
81wJh5EAxwL.jpg
432 KB, 1500x2312
Is this any good? Bought it at HPB on clearance for $2, looked promising.
>>
File: 51ce61JUJYL._SL1500_.jpg (32 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
51ce61JUJYL._SL1500_.jpg
32 KB, 331x500
>>
File: 51wfoJcVYsL._SL1500_.jpg (46 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
51wfoJcVYsL._SL1500_.jpg
46 KB, 332x500
Look also at his columns and books on 9/11 on medium and Middle East Eye.
>>
>>7863964
I think he'd do fine if you read from ottomans on.

Ottomans = kind of civilization
European imperialism = arbitrary borders, cultural humiliation
Cold War = US and Soviet funded dictators
Now = "I know you haven't had stability in a few hundred years but HOT POTATO"
>>
File: 220px-IslamAndDhimmitude.jpg (19 KB, 220x339) Image search: [Google]
220px-IslamAndDhimmitude.jpg
19 KB, 220x339
>>7863587
>>
>>7867376
>Cockburn

teeee heeeee
>>
>>7863590
taming riki is apparently shitpost-tier work of bdsm homosexual erotica with animu in the cover
>>
>>7867424
EBIN
>>
https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/the-bin-laden-death-mythology-9a3776a6e3c3#.46i1xpl1d
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.