[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /lit/ hate pic related so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
Why does /lit/ hate pic related so much?
>>
Who is /lit/? I love this film. Verhoeven is a far better artist than that fascist faggot Heinlein.
>>
>/lit/ - Literature
>>
>>7863233

Fucking perfect film what are you talking about
>>
>>7863245
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>7863233
>>7863262
>>7863279
>>7863294
>>7863245
Ok look, I fucking downloaded a picture of what I thought was the book. It's supposed to be the book. God damn it. Why does /lit/ hate the BOOK?
>>
>>7863295
because this is a literature board and this is not literature
>>
>>7863302
IT'S BASED ON A FUCKING BOOK. OBVIOUSLY I'M TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK!
>>
>>7863305
>book =/= literature
>>
File: Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg (38 KB, 205x300) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg
38 KB, 205x300
>>7863295
I just read it and am interested to hear /lit/'s opinions on the book too.
>>
>>7863312
Its good but commiefags will detract it no matter what
>>
>>7863329
>anyone who doesn't like the state is a communist
>>
>>7863329
So wait does it have retarded communist reddit undertones? I have yet to read it.
>>
File: 1440433340498.gif (2 MB, 290x595) Image search: [Google]
1440433340498.gif
2 MB, 290x595
BUGS
>>
>>7863381
no it's about military virtues and ethics and only people who have served in the military are given voting rights
>>
>>7863381
so you don't know what 'detract' means
>>
>>7863295

Why do you wanna talk about the book? the movie is way better
>>
>>7863424
Anyone who has served the state is given voting rights.
>>
>>7863635
yeah my mistake
>>
>>7863233
I will forever hate that movie for flat out ignoring what was easily the coolest aspect of the book; the first popular use of power armor in science fiction, not to mention shoulder-mounted nuke launchers. Pretty much all military science fiction has cribbed off Starship Troopers in some way, from games to books to movies, but the actual movie adaptation had none of the coolness. No power armor, no drop pods, just lolheug bullpups, space nazis and the stupidest looking dropships I've ever seen.
>>
>>7863682
nerd
>>
I like coed showers.
>>
>>7863682
Lensman.

Only piss babies dislike movies based on books because they aren't accurate enough to their wishes and expectations.
>>
>>7863682
That's because the movie was almost done by the time the director even found out the book existed. They did want power armour they just didn't have the budget for it. It does come into the third film though.
>>
The gravity of the main themes of he book couldn't be crammed into a two hour fil. So they got some special effects, yelled "bugs!" And sprayed some bullets. Book is fine, movie is shit. There, now we can move on.
>>
>>7863928
>movie is shit
Movie was fucking great, very few modern movies have been able to pull out that 60s alien invasion b-movie vibe better. The book is pure genre trash outside the interesting albeit silly political commentary and fairly colorful world building.

Also does anyone else feel that the OP in this thread might be very low IQ? Like borderline MR?
>>
>>7863928
>The gravity of the main themes of he book

>tfw American manchildren believe this autistic wishfulfillment has "gravity"

I agree with >>7863973, pure trash, just a vehicle for Heinlein's dumb political ideas
>>
>>7863233
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!
>>
>>7863928
The film was already in production when it was brought to their attention that the movie shared many similarities to a book called starship troopers so they had to buy the rights or risk a lawsuit. Verhoeven only read the first two chapters and hated it, as a survivor of nazi occupation he made a tongue-in-cheek takedown of fascism. He knew if it was a straight forward parody people would ignore it but In his own words "I'm going to make a perfect fascist world: everyone is beautiful, everything is shiny, everything has big guns and fancy ships, but it's only good for killing fucking bugs!"
>>
>>7863982
There's no reason to be upset
>>
the book is literally fascist, the movie is only ironically fascist
>>
>>7863295
Why, I like it. Its literary merits are highly questionable, however. In the sci-fi only a few authors would qualify as /lit/, and Heinlein isn't one of them.
>>
I wouldn't care about the facism if the book wasn't garbage and boring literature.

One of the most uninteresting and boring sci-fi novels I have ever read in my life. He doesn't even pepper it with good technical sci-fi knowledge cause Heinlein was a retard, unlike Asimov who was a scientist.

Throw it in the trash.
>>
>>7864564
is frank herbert one of them?

Also for fuck's sake guys - WHY is Robert A Heinlein so hated? Why is Starship Troopers not good? The only thing I've seen so far is:
>it boring
>it genre garbage :(
But WHY is it boring? Why is it genre garbage?
>>
>>7863843
>It does come into the third film though.
shitty mecha =/= power armor
>>
>>7864870

Because most of the book takes place in bootcamp and instead of having a story to follow every scene is just an excuse for Heinlein to project his /pol/ nazi fascist rhetoric all over the pages. He's an absolute terrible storyteller, creates cardboard cutout characters, and his rhetoric is trash tier babbys first fascism.
>>
>>7865035
Well fuck.
I also bought The Moon is a Harsh Mistress... Guess that's what I get for trusting Reddit.
>>
>>7865035
I noticed this too in Stranger in a Strange Land. Ended up dropping it 3/4 of the way through.
>>
>>7865066
If you already got it, then give it a read. Just because these memers don't think Heinlein's works had literary merit doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. I haven't read Starship Troopers, but other books of his I really liked, some I didn't.
>>
yo this film is a masterpiece
>>
>>7864870
Herbert is big, but I don't like him, for a /lit/erary scifi see Lem and Vonnegut.
>>
>>7863233

The film is a great sci-fi movie, but has only tangential relation to the novel of the same name, which is also great but for very different reasons.
>>
>>7863359
bug detected
>>
The only people who don't like it are liberal bedwetting cucks, which is the reason why saying its reddit tier is stupid, because the political views in this book aee what reddit despises. Honestly I am curious to see how its not liked on even 4chan. Its like this book has no place anywhere.
>>
>oh look a book I enjoyed
>I wonder what people said about it
>rrr goddamn libtards
>rrr goddamn /pol/ fascists
>>
>>7865172
>vonnegut
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.