[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is bell hooks worth checking out? I'm somewhat of a Marxists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: dblf-bell-hooks-1988-BWPhoto.jpg (637 KB, 3960x2712) Image search: [Google]
dblf-bell-hooks-1988-BWPhoto.jpg
637 KB, 3960x2712
Is bell hooks worth checking out?
I'm somewhat of a Marxists but I'm still undecided in regard to Feminism, especially the intersectional kind. Anyway, I'd like to read some Feminist theory.
Is bell hooks the right place to start?
>>
personally i think feminism is sort of an inherent part of marxism as a whole, or in the very least lends itself to the idea

either way yeah bell hooks is a pretty good starting place, she does a good job at being critical and analytical without stooping into bullshit identity privilege politics
>>
yes, bell hooks is quite good
>>
>>7861410
>>7861413
Cool. What books should I pick up first?
>>
>>7861402
/r/ing that long-ass bell hooks rape and lynching copypasta.
>>
both marxism and feminism are decline-of-the-west tier
>>
>>7861410
>she does a good job at being critical and analytical without stooping into bullshit identity privilege politics
Really? Her work is essential to its development.
>>
File: tumblr_ns25gsfwze1uc362bo1_1280.jpg (172 KB, 1280x838) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns25gsfwze1uc362bo1_1280.jpg
172 KB, 1280x838
>>7861402
waht is your gender /lit/?
>>
>>7861459
>decline-of-the-west tier
Decline into what? How would the decline of the "West" (how would you even define this term, apart from geographical location?) be a bad thing?
>>
>>7861466
>All Feminism is tumblr-tier, unscientific garbage
wew
>>
>>7861459
conversely they're the only way the west is actually able to be sustained. there's more profit in ignoring it for now but west isn't defined by the profit of it's 1%. they don't contribute anything
>>
>>7861470
>the west
A region defined by the dominance of a particular tradition of thought, culture and technology that began generally with the Classical Greek thinkers and continued on through the Roman Empire and Christendom to the present day. Generally refers to Europe and North America.

>decline of
Loss of influence of this region and it's unique millue of values and history.

Don't be intentionally obtuse. It's not crazy to think that the world will be less comfortable for someone who posts a lot on an English-language internet board if the thing that made those two things possible disappeared.
>>
>>7861492
>that began generally with the Classical Greek thinkers and continued on through the Roman Empire
Why does this meme persist. Classical civilization =/ Western Civilization any more than it does Arabic civilization or Russian.
>>
>>7861492
If the West stopped existing, the internet would still stay in existence. The dominant language would be replaced with another one. So would the values of the Western world.
It wouldn't really make a difference.
>>
>>7861500
>So would the values of the Western world.
Why on earth would this be true? Do you think China and Russia care about Western values?
>>
>>7861492
yes we wouldn't ever have the internet if not for plato
>>
>>7861502
No, that's why I said they would be replaced with different ones. Which would, after a certain period of time, become the status quo, just like Western values are now.
Can't you read?
>>
>>7861470
don't know about you, but I sure don't wanna live in a sharia transgender afrocentric dystopia
>>
>>7861500
>the values of the dominant culture would be replaced with that of another
>it wouldn't make any difference really
Confirmed for never doing anything in the third world. When even the suggestion of universal ethics or egalitarianism is gone it will make a huge difference. Imagine if you replaced the secular-Jewish and universalist/deist combo that makes up the majority of the ruling class with Alabama-tier evangelical Christian Jihad and tell me it makes no difference, and those are both "western" groups. It can get a whole lot worse.
>>
>>7861511
I misread the post. I take it you don't think there's a correlation between Western values and the technology the West has created?
>>
if you're a braindead marxist you might enjoy her signature trademark phrase: "white-supremacist capitalist patriarchy" littered throughout her reductive analysis, which should be familiar territory to marxist retards
>>
OP, I recommend The Conquest of Bread.
>>
>>7861526
>braindead marxist
>marxist retards

i wonder what would be littered throughout your reductive analysis if you were intelligent enough to actually write long-form and get it published
>>
>>7861534
>triggered
>>
>>7861520
There was also a correlation between aqueducts and Roman values. The Roman Empire fell, the technology survived.
Western values and the Western technology are connected, of course, but this does not mean that the technology doesn't work without Western values.
Your point?
>>
>>7861526
That's a nice generalisation, darling.
>>
>>7861566
Much of Roman technology was lost for quite some time and some of it never recovered. Granted the world now might be globalized enough that the fall of the 'West' wouldn't have the same effect.

My point was the the intellectual, economic, technological, etc. facets of civilization are intertwined.
>>
>>7861547
triggered into fits of laughter m8
>>
>>7861578
>My point was the the intellectual, economic, technological, etc. facets of civilization are intertwined.
This doesn't mean that a change of the dominant culture would destroy all progress that the world has made under Western rule, though. But still, I agree with you on this one.
>>
>>7861413
Ain't I A Woman is her best but Feminism is for Everybody is a good intro point (for her and for feminism in general)
>>
>>7861602
>This doesn't mean that a change of the dominant culture would destroy all progress that the world has made under Western rule, though.
Agreed.

And I wouldn't pretend to know what would happen because I don't think modern global civilization really has a historical precedent.
>>
>>7861449
http://bellhooksmegafan.tumblr.com/post/126316357559/fifty-hooks-for-bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkptuaH3EW8
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.