[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/ I need help. I'm fired up about after watching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: The_Big_Short_teaser_poster.jpg (91 KB, 250x390) Image search: [Google]
The_Big_Short_teaser_poster.jpg
91 KB, 250x390
Hi /lit/ I need help. I'm fired up about after watching picture related.

Does anyone have a good leads on books about the 2007 financial crisis?
>>
Das Kapital
>>
Probably the Big Short, the book that movie was based on
>>
Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin

There are about a million (real) characters. I can barely remember any of their names and couldn't while reading, I don't think it matters too much.

Or you could just read the book The Big Short by Michael Lewis
>>
I sound stupid. I know the big short was based off of a book and it's currently on order. I just wanted a few more ideas. Thanks famila either way.
>>
The movie was fucking terrible.
>>
>>7860300
nah, it was pretty good
>>
>>7860300
I know this isn't /pol/ or /tv/ but can you elaborate on why? I get that it's heavily editorialized and probably pushes an agenda. From what I understand however, is the major plot points were accurate.
>>
>>7860300
Considering the subject matter the script was well handled
>>
https://thenextrecession.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/the-great-recession-paper-for-bordeaux.pdf
>>
>>7860300
What was bad about it
>>
freefall by joseph stiglitz
>>
>>7860300
Are you a girl?
Every girl I've mentioned it to has had a similar reaction
>>
>>7860386
>inb4 Ryan Guzzling is a meanie
>>
debt by david greabner
theory of the lesuire class by thorstien veblen
class by paul fussle.
>>
Lewis - The Big Short (of course) and Boomerang
Taibbi - Griftopia
Henwood - Wall Street
Boyd - Fatal Risk
Graeber - Debt

I would avoid Sorkin's Too Big to Fail - hagiographic and not that informative (for a fuller takedown, see here: http://thebaffler.com/salvos/deal-me-out)

If you're willing to include articles as well as books, this is my favorite piece of journalism about the crash: http://www.wired.com/2009/02/wp-quant/
>>
File: 220px-All_the_Devils_Are_Here.jpg (17 KB, 220x331) Image search: [Google]
220px-All_the_Devils_Are_Here.jpg
17 KB, 220x331
>>7860284
A fucking great book here m8. Bethany is also a /lit/qt
>>
Daily reminder that a financial crisis implies that the majority of economists weren't able to predict it. Also a reminder that if you don't know much about economics and higher mathematics your chances of really, REALLY understanding the crisis, its causes and its effects, are close to nil.
>>
>>7860489
People want to read about the malfeasance and failure on an ethical level, and understanding the packaging of financial products intro tranches is easy enough if you have a minimum of investment understanding.

Those mortgage packages were basically failing REITs mislabeled.
>>
>>7860499
So what are your recommendations for books about unethical entities involved in the 2007 crisis?
>>
>>7860512
see
>>7860478

I think you would enjoy her other book, The Smartest Guys in the Room which is also a pretty fun documentary on netflix and youtube.

The active and encouraged manipulation of california energy markets which resulted in the overthrow of Gray Davis for Schwarzenegger had nothing to do with, as >>7860489 says some mathematical theorem, but with enron's sales people calling powerplants and telling them to turn off whole sectors.
>>
File: 4158J9HjreL.jpg (32 KB, 353x500) Image search: [Google]
4158J9HjreL.jpg
32 KB, 353x500
>>
Never watched the movie but did it imply that the financial crisis was entirely the private sector's fault and it's greedy, greedy capitalists?
>>
>>7861447
are you one of the "fed kept money too loose" morons or the "fed kept money too tight" morons? or perhaps you're one of the "fannie and freddie caused the crisis" morons? private label MBSes caused the crash, not public ones. blaming the financial crisis on the government is exclusively the domain of hacks selling crap to an audience that wants their biases confirmed (ironically, exactly what caused the crash)
>>
>>7860284
read Liars Poker
>>
and short the market
buy UVXY
>>
File: 1432248866405.jpg (59 KB, 395x401) Image search: [Google]
1432248866405.jpg
59 KB, 395x401
>>7861416

>federal report on a crisis caused by federal meddling
>>
>>7860284
The End of Normal. Takes a broader view of the situation, highly recommend it.
>>
The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb.

It isn't about the crash per se but covers some of the theoretical shortcomings leading to the crash. The book came out in 2007 and predicted the crash, so it's more useful for understanding how crashes can be anticipated.
>>
Fault lines by Rajan you cis white male fucks.
>>
Between Debt and the Devil by Turner.

It's a bit complicated at times and if you don't know much finance you'll def have to google some words but it's manageable besides that. Honestly I'd suggest watching the movies first, it's not that complicated.
>>
>>7860284
Capital Karl marx
>>
>>7860300
I also hated it. An movie entirely made of sloppy and cheesy exposition.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.