[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top 5 Literary Works by Reddit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: gentlemenlytop5.png (62 KB, 1662x656) Image search: [Google]
gentlemenlytop5.png
62 KB, 1662x656
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4c86s1/your_top_5_best_books_of_all_time/
Do you aggre or disaggree? I think these are very nice lists from real literary masterminds
>>
"The Road" Cormac McCarthy
"Death of an Ordinary Man" Glenn Duncan
"A Drink Before The War" Dennis Lehane
"Gun With Occasional Music" Jonathan Lethem
"It" Stephen King
>>
File: tiptip.png (76 KB, 1685x622) Image search: [Google]
tiptip.png
76 KB, 1685x622
Another 5 star snippet. A thought out response which inculdes only the highest of art
>>
I don't know enough english to say it properly, but your behaviour is very sad. Why do the minds and lives of other people bother you so?
>>
>>7860163

1. shit book
2. shit book
3. shit book
4. classic i had to read in high school that I'm putting here to make me look smart, although i didn't really understand it
5. shit book
>>
desu we're only a little better when we have these threads and every other reply is:

>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Infinite Jest
>Blood Meridian
>Stoner
>>
>>7860173
Why do you bother posting then? And im just having a hearty laugh here mate. These lists are hilariously unaware of themselves
>>
>>7860175
>The Martian is a classic

ahahahahahah
>>
>>7860178
Still better than motherfucking Harry Potter and game of thrones
>>
>>7860181
meant to be a general description of the reddit thread, not OP's pic
>>
people complain about the amount of shitposting on this board but this really makes me feel greatful
>>
>>7860181
Wew youre fucking retarded
>>
>>7860182

Yeah but when no one here can tell you anything meaningful about those books, we might as well be Harry Potter because we're reading those things as deep as they read Harry Potter.
>>
>>7860190
I don't quite agree with you but you're not entirely wrong either BUT it's still better to look at a nice steak through a glass than to eat a pile of shit
>>
>>7860193

The more appropraite metaphor is that you shit on the steak and then eat it, and I dunno if that's really better than just eating the shit.
>>
>>7860189
nice try at redemption mong boy
>>
>>7860163

OP:

> lurks reddit
> sees a lot of responses that could be from /lit/
> finds le ebin reddit shitpost xD
> posts it on /lit/
> look guyzzz we're so much better than le reddit :^) so special were right xD?

This whole complaining about reddit thing feels ridiculously stupid since /lit/ and reddit are equally shit. The whole literary community is awful. Why do we have to pretend that we're so much better than everybody else?
>>
>>7860196
Let's agree to disagree, I also don't believe you need to be a genius to appreciate a great book. There are plenty of fine responses in the linked thread only there are comments as well which are abysmal, from people who's mind fries from any writing that's more difficult than a comic book
>>
>>7860206
the same reason everyone does it. feels nice
>>
>>7860175
Beat me to it.
>>
>>7860206
There's a great divide between people who are aware of their lack of knowledge and people who are not
>>
>>7860213
no there isn't.

the irony of this post is funny though
>>
>>7860214
Oh yes there is, what else would drive you to improve yourself if not this lack of knowledge? If you don't know that you don't know you will never know
>>
>>7860219

But most people on reddit and /lit/ don't care about their lack of knowledge. They just ignore it so that they can continue with their shitposting.
>>
>>7860220
The difference between us and them is that abhorrent replies there get upvoted by other idiots and people who do know how ridiculous they are don't have a heart to tell them while here the same idiots would be laughed at. It's still a better situation in my opinion. Whatever have a good day
>>
>>7860205
no really, you're retarded lad
>>
>>7860229
keep digging, eventually you'll get to the bottom and find out you were not being an idiot some how. I swear.!
>>
>>7860163
I would like to say just one thing.

I hate Bulgakov.

I'm Russian. It's my god-given right to hate this pretentious shit.
>>
>>7860291
what pretense
>>
>>7860206
Reddit is a place were stupid people go to be smart.
>>
>>7860206
>This whole complaining about reddit thing feels ridiculously stupid since /lit/ and reddit are equally shit.
Please, they think good literature is pretentious.
>>
>>7860345
that's /lit/ m8
>>
ew.
>>
how can anyone put 1984 as the best book
>>
>>7860163
Some are these are actually non-ridiculous. Almost as if there are people on reddit who read books.
>>
Ive been reading 50-100 books for the last 10 years, and at this point if someone was to ask me what the top 10 books ever were, or what my top 10 books were in order, I wouldnt be able to answer them. All I could think of is how much I havent read and how totally irrelevant the opinion of one man in front of a millenia old corpus really is.
>>
>>7860433
>how can anyone put 1984 as the best book
>how can anyone put x from OPs posts as a best book

That tends to happen when some smarter than average 4th grader's mom buys them harry potter to "get them into reading" inb4 bloom and the kid continues to read fluff until he gets into highschool, where he reads 1984, brave new world, animal farm, catch 22, catcher in the ryem and lord of the flies, and thinks they are the best books ever. He also starts to develop an internet identity.

Then 5 years later the same kid reads either the communist manifesto or ayn rand, and something similar happens.

Finally that kid becomes an adult and either goes back to reading fluff or nothing because he hates his job and life and is too tired, or he reads nothing, or in some cases becomes a patrician at some level and attempts to seek out literature that is truly great.
>>
>Absalom, Absalom! - William Faulkner
Good
>Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes
Decent
>The Trial - Franz Kafka
Good
>Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
Absolute shit
>The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Good

How is it that someone can like such great pieces of literature but at the same time enjoy something as god awful as Chuck Palahniuk?
Are they lying?
Fuck this is worse than seeing a top five of all shitty books.
>>
All that East of Eden is giving me an identity crisis.
>>
>>7860476
Invisible Monsters is THE tranny book of the turn of the century. Anyone with an ounce of tumblr in them appreciates the games it is playing.
>>
1. goofy shit
2. fantasy
3. goofy shit
4. sci-fi
5. Virginia Wolff plz don't think I'm sexist
>>
>>7860471
normally i'm not on board with these generalizing sorts of posts, but i think you actually hit that one pretty well m8, well said
>>
>>7860354
>they think "good" literature is pretentious
Most of it actually is.

Would you read half of the "classics" if they weren't well-known as the highest form of art?

I'd rather read something I personally enjoy.
>>
>>7860476
some people have specific preferences that drastically skew their tolerances
>>
>>7860471
Was thinking the same thing
This must be why so many people have The Great Gatsby in their top five
>>
>>7860476
Apart from the Faulkner, all those books can be enjoyed without actually delving too deep into them. There is a lot of superficial interest in something like the narrative of the Trial, or the ideas in FfA. The person reading them might not get more than that out of them and so they get a similar amount out of the Palahniuk book. Actually FfA is pretty much on the same level as Palahniuk.

Having Faulkner on there doesn't fit with that though.
>>
>>7860657
Their dad probably told them that AA was good
>>
File: 59.jpg (7 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
59.jpg
7 KB, 300x100
>>7860163
Why bother laughing at someone over their taste?
>>
>>7860190
What makes you think we don't know anything meaningful about the books?
>>
File: anger.jpg (207 KB, 692x960) Image search: [Google]
anger.jpg
207 KB, 692x960
>>7860163
>>7860166
>>7860168
>>7860175
>>7860181
>>7860182
>>7860184
>>7860213
>>7860228
>>7860345
>>7860354
>>7860476
>>7860471
>>7860593
>>7860677

Don't all you degenerates in this thread have books to read instead of mocking other people listing their favorite books?

When will you grow up and realize that by getting into this circlejerk, you're basically reducing the quality of your discussion to that found on reddit.

True patricians who're above this snarky bullshit won't give 2 fucks about some stupid reddit thread. They'd be either reading books or making decent threads with original ideas or interesting discussion instead of

>LOOLLZ look what I found on leddit guyzz. XDDD.

>inb4 look who's talking.

at least I'm aware of the degeneracy in this thread unlike all you snarky twats.
>>
>>7860725
Because laughing is not a bother, it's a reaction
>>
>>7860614
>Most of it actually is.
How is it pretentious? I don't see how Paradise Lost or Livy is supposed to be less fun than whatever people read nowadays.
>>
>>7860761
reading through it, and posting a thread, and circlejerking over it, is a bother.
>>
>>7860763
Paradise Lost? seriously
>>
>>7860750
Martian fan detected

I'm gonna science the shit out of this post m'lady ;-)
>>
>>7860765
>reading through it

Subvocalizer defends Reddit, more at 11
>>
File: 1449829349644.jpg (132 KB, 1074x716) Image search: [Google]
1449829349644.jpg
132 KB, 1074x716
>>7860772
Don't tell me you think Paradise Lost of all things is pretentious?
>>
I haven't read enough really. But of the books I've read I'm sure Anna Karenina could be in a top 5 GOAT list.
>>
>>7860787
No, just comparing the enjoyment, when clearly you are a huge minority on the matter
>>
Books confirmed for Reddit that we can't read anymore unless you want to be branded as Reddit

Ulysses
Blood Meridian
The Sound and the Fury
Dostoevsky
Nietzsche
Borges
Calvino
Shakespeare
Nabokov
>>
>>7860783
Not defending the reddit, take your head out of your ass, and go read something fun. you guys are the worst shitposters this boards has.
>>
>>7860797
who cares about reddit? read whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>7860175
I don't trust someone who doesn't like Gatsby.
>>
>>7860797
>The Sound and the Fury
>Reddit
Jason's sections are /pol/ though
>>
>>7860458
>how totally irrelevant the opinion of one man in front of a millenia old corpus really is.

Edgemaster
>>
>>7860797
>Ulysses
lol
>>
>>7860652
fuck off gatsby is fine
>>
>>7860930
there is nothing wrong with gatsby, but it should not be in the "top 5 books ever" of anyone who's read a decent amount
>>
bloody fucking hell
>>
>>7860976
What gets me is not that he considers the ender series in the top 5 literary works but that he doesn't even bother to read them all even though he likes them this much, what the fuck
>>
>>7860797
Reddit would never read Calvino.
>>
>>7860819
seems the opposite to me lad
>>
File: candide.jpg (191 KB, 700x1119) Image search: [Google]
candide.jpg
191 KB, 700x1119
the first words i picked out were 'dune' and 'neil gaiman'
>>
>>7860750
A 'true patrician' wouldnt write a post in a thread defending redditors
Do you believe true patricians dont laugh at idiots occasionally? Who care
>>
>>7861030
Ender's Game is a pretty good classic, man
>>
>>7860163

>All of them have had recently praised adaptations by the media and critics except for one

SHOCKING
>>
>>7860196
the real question is is it better to eat a steak and then get a glass pushed up your ass or to not have been at all
>>
>>7860178

Bretty good list there desu senpai
>>
Hahahahaha oh reddit. Cmere you gotta see reddit dot com. Its the other website whwre the dumb people post. I post on the smart website. They like game of thrones and the martian (bad books, if you didnt know, for plebians (a term we use for tue redditors)) but on thr smart website we read the great russians and thomas pynchon. Some of the folks on reddit read pynchkn too, but only lot49. Pynchon lite as we call it on the smart site. No wait look at what they said was a good book
>>
>>7860614
looks like you belong on reddit then.
>>
Redditor: I enjoyed east of eden by john steinbeck
Me: This is insane
>>
File: stt.png (5 KB, 341x115) Image search: [Google]
stt.png
5 KB, 341x115
Jesus they are basically us
>>
>>7860614
>I'd rather read something I personally enjoy.
If you don't enjoy the classics, you're a retard, but that's fine. Don't read them then.
>>
>>7861924
you sound like a retard. stop being so salty, i am sure all the russian giants you love, would hate you.
>>
I've recently come to understand what a 'reddit-tier' opinion is and I physically cringe when I think of the stereotypical redditor.

/r/books is insufferable, and somehow even worse. The opinions there are terrible and hold no substance.
>>
>>7861920
that was me lol
>>
>>7860750
A true patrician wouldn't browse a "Top 5" thread on a Philippino Ping Pong website.
>>
>>7862365
no it wasn't
>>
is east of eden actually good?
>>
>>7862317
> I've recently come to understand what a 'reddit-tier' opinion is

Care to summarize?
>>
>>7863158
Steinbeck considered it his magnum opus.

It's good for an american.
>>
>>7863165
its basically since reddit is such a high volume site you get the opinion of the more average person sort of like if youtube was a comment site
>>
>>7863165
anything I don't like

>>7863187
that's a reddit tier definition friendo
>>
above a certain level of greatness, works obtain infinitude and become incomparable to one another
>>
>>7860819
no
>>
>>7860181
Obviously meant to be a reply to >>7860168
>>
Instead of circlejerking about how bad reddit is, can you actually give your top 5 works? Or would that be too much of an indictment of your taste being the same as many redditors?
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.