[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the Trout Mask Replica of /lit/ By that I mean really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 1440130568360.jpg (220 KB, 1114x1147) Image search: [Google]
1440130568360.jpg
220 KB, 1114x1147
What is the Trout Mask Replica of /lit/

By that I mean really weird, obscure, all over the place, hard to understand but really rewarding sorta books.
>>
naked lunch
>>
Finnegans Wake
>>
>>7855160
Gravity's Rainbow. Some of Beefheart's lyrics remind me of Pynchon, and vice-versa.
>>
Ginsberg
>>
>>7855166
Naked Lunch is a bit too dark to be Beefheart imo
>>
>>7855160

The cultural 4chan board of "/lit/" should stand to X, as /mu/ stands to TMR. How is this standing?

It is a modern work which is known and popularly available, yet weird enough that only the slightly-weirdos or slightly-curious seek it out.

It should actually "work" on some level. Beefheart's Americana is bluesy, 60s as fuck, musique concrete (tape loopy stuff), and so suggests all kinds of different directions. I actually like Ant Man Bee, though I haven't heard in a while. Also Moonlight in Vermont ,a more conventional track that follows the experimental Hair Pie (bake 1), with the quiet bg recording in between tracks. All of this cutesiness anticipates Beck's career.

IT IS NOT OBSCURE TO THE FANS, CONTRARY TO THE OP. It's just kinda-weird, and has a reputation for such, which is why it is sought out.

The first thing that came to my mind was Finnegans Wake but maybe Gravity's Rainbow is right too. I actually don't know anything about the latter.
>>
>>7855160
Shiny beast is better
>>
>>7855160
Trout fishing in America, lass
>>
Ulysses

TMR is not obscure, why the fuck do people think it is?
>>
>>7855820
No, you know what, I fucked up, Ulysses and TMR have nothing to do with each other

In terms of the work's relationship to the 4chan board about the medium they are, they're most definitely similar, though
>>
Ulysses.

Both are epic, sprawling, cover an incredible amount of ground, serve as a precursor to a boom in the medium. Both are also much easier to appreciate once one has spent time with the necessary prerequisites and influences that went into making them
>>
>>7855166
>really rewarding

Try again, bud. And this is coming from a Burroughs fan.
>>
>>7855190
/thread
>>
It's Troust Mask Replica

Poetry/Song lyrics are literature
>>
Ulysses is a terrible choice. If you want something vaguely resembling a music equivalent of Joyce, a more sensible comparison would be Stravinsky. Gravity's Rainbow makes a lot more sense for TMR, especially since it came out around the same time.
>>
>>7856277
Also, to complete the meme trilogy, IJ is, of course, ItAOtS.
>>
Why do people find trout mask replica so difficult?
>>
Twilight
>>
Depends what you mean. In terms of board culture I don't really know.

In terms of its literary equivalent I'm not sure things like Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow really fit. They're weird and long and difficult, but I see TMR as a kind of madness that seems to only incidentally work and come together.

Ulysses and GR, on the other hand, seem very tight and planned. Because they kind of have to be.

The beat guys have a lot more in common with TMR. Especially something like Kerouac's The Subterraneans which has the same sprawling jazz feel.

I'd probably settle on something like The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test or A Walk on the Wild Side.
>>
>>7856285
Because it's garbage, but you have to pretend it's profound or you'll be ostracized by the other apes
>>
>>7856365
True, similar to Picasso's Guernica or Finnegans Wake by James Joyce in that way
>>
>>7856365
>>7856406
>I don't get it so everyone else must be lying
>>
>>7856365
I don't understand this position, TMR is actually lots of fun
>>
>>7856365
>>7856406
TMR really isn't that difficult to enjoy (neither is Finnegans Wake, though I could understand where someone is coming from with that)
>>
>>7855160
TMR isn't hard to listen to because it's experimental, it's because it's ugly. Even Beefheart's normal records are difficult for me to listen to because of this, there's something disgusting about his voice and the way he writes his music.

There is more experimental music that is much easier to enjoy.
>>
>>7855793
I wish it were too.
>>
>>7855160
Motorman by David Ohle
>>
>>7857019
Motorman isn't hard to understand though
>>
>>7856282
Shut up.
>>
>>7855786
Gravity's Rainbow is 100% right.
>>
>>7857285
It's true tho
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.